Which video lessons? Any experiences?

bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
edited August 2018 in Technique
I am still subscribing to Guitarist but I have realised it is only the lessons I am interested in. The Josh Smith lesson a few issues ago was great. 
I think I might be better subscribing to an online video lesson service.
Any experiences you can relate? Of the examples I have seen on the youtoob I like Robben Ford and Guthrie Trapp.
Thanks in advance for your advice and wisdom.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    Justinguitar gets a lot of love but not tried it myself.

You could always cancel your guitarist subscription and sign up to Readly. For £7.99 a month you'll get Guitarist, Total Guitar and Guitar Techniques as well as loads of other (not guitar related) mags.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Justinguitar is great and I'd highly recommend it to anyone starting out. Probably when you're at the point of actually joining a guitar forum you're possibly too advanced to get too much benefit but he is a good teacher. I've been going through his transcribing course (and getting frustrated but that's nothing to do with him lol)
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Can't really comment on other online lessons, but for me I didn't look any further once I found his site. I constantly flicked between YouTube lessons and didn't really get anywhere - too disjointed. Got into doing 45 mins every night on Justin's site, then started getting somewhere. Very well structured.
  • Robben Ford has lessons on TrueFire and they are excellent for intermediate level and above. You can either subscribe or buy individual lessons. They often have offers on with good discounts. I’d probably start by buying Robben’s Blues Revolution course and see how you get on. There’s enough in there to last you months, if not years.

Guthrie Trapp is with Artistworks. You have to subscribe to this and it works slightly differently. There are recorded lessons and you can also submit videos of your playing to get feedback. It’s pretty cool getting fredback from someone like Guthrie but the downside is you have to wait to get a reply, sometimes a few weeks. Artistworks also have discounts regularly. The best one is at Christmas/New Yeaf when they usually do 50% off.

My personal favourite is TrueFire. They have a huge range of lessons and some great teachers like Robben, Larry Carlton and Tommy Emmanuel. You can’t get better than that in my opinion.
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Justin guitar is well worth looking at. He does lessons on all sorts of styles, ive found the content very worthwhile and bought some of his DVDs and theory books.