Bass Design

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
I see a lot of basses these days sporting an upper horn that's attached to the neck, such as this example from ACG -

What's the thinking behind the design? Increased resonance, sustain?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My guess is rigidity.

The shorter the amount of unsupported neck, the more rigid it can be.

More rigid necks lose less energy when notes are played. Most noticeable with thick low tuned strings eg a low B

Personally I’ve found a preference for rigid bass necks, it’s also possible to achieve a more rigid neck with reinforcement rods or multi laminate construction.

I haven’t played one of these designs but I’d guess it also balances differently on a strap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    It's designed to prevent degenerate forms of expression like rock 'n' roll.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Makes it look like a whale.

Once you see it, you can’t unsee it...
    It does have some other similarities... like producing non-repeating meandering melodies which go on for hours and which no-one has any idea of the meaning of.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    It does have some other similarities... like producing non-repeating meandering melodies which go on for hours and which no-one has any idea of the meaning of.
    There’s a smugglers hideout in the back of it for us bass players to keep the crochet/Jazz standards/pencil and sharpener etc 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    ICBM said:
    It's designed to prevent degenerate forms of expression like rock 'n' roll.
    Would Dee Dee Ramone have used one? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    My guess is rigidity.

The shorter the amount of unsupported neck, the more rigid it can be.

More rigid necks lose less energy when notes are played. Most noticeable with thick low tuned strings eg a low B

Personally I’ve found a preference for rigid bass necks, it’s also possible to achieve a more rigid neck with reinforcement rods or multi laminate construction.

I haven’t played one of these designs but I’d guess it also balances differently on a strap.
    That makes sense, esp if you're using a B string. Presumably the payoff is increased sustain. There must be more attractive ways of solving the problem though. Maybe dual truss rods?  ;)

ICBM said:
    They do hint at 'earnest musician'. Oh for the good old days when a serious expression would do the job.
    JezWynd said:

That makes sense, esp if you're using a B string. Presumably the payoff is increased sustain. There must be more attractive ways of solving the problem though. Maybe dual truss rods?  ;)
    :) Yes, or a shorter neck.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/7232/products/IMG_4774.JPG?v=1444113057

(Originally designed to be tuned E-C I know - but I don't see any reason you can't do B-G.)

I always worry about the balance on strap with those big humped single cut designs...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

:) Yes, or a shorter neck.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/7232/products/IMG_4774.JPG?v=1444113057

(Originally designed to be tuned E-C I know - but I don't see any reason you can't do B-G.)
    15 frets! I suppose the fifth string could be to counter that limitation. Good for dub maybe?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    edited August 2018
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    JezWynd said:
    There must be more attractive ways of solving the problem though.
    Eliminate the neck/body join altogether. ;)

http://www.stick.com/instruments/sb8/
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    JezWynd said:

15 frets! I suppose the fifth string could be to counter that limitation. Good for dub maybe?
    I never play higher than the 15th anyway - and even that only on the lower strings - so it wouldn't be a limitation.

The original intention of the high C string was to make it easier for bass players to play shapes across the neck instead of runs up higher, as you probably guessed.

It is certainly the only 5-string I would want to play, anyway...

• valevale Frets: 1052
    JezWynd said:
    I see a lot of basses these days sporting an upper horn that's attached to the neck, such as this example from ACG -

What's the thinking behind the design? Increased resonance, sustain?
    so lazy bass players like me, who play thumb-over style instead of jazz-spaz spider style, will never be reduced to even touching such a hambone monstrosity. we will remain pure and untainted.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom