5th Birthday Jam and Gig Reaction, Photos and Videos

What's Hot

Comments

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Ha! Your secret is out!

(It was inevitable I'd get one wrong sooner or later...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    Do you happen to have one of Comfortably Numb? Such an epic song!! 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    edited August 2018
    Glad to read about your playing at the Birthday Jam @Alnico. ;;  Hope to see a video of you playing.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I believe comfy will be forthcoming. 

There will definitely be a studio recording version released with @Alnico on. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Rocker said:
    Glad to read about your playing at the Birthday Jam @Alnico. ;;;  Hope to see a video of you playing.....
    Thanks, it was great to be there and play again.

I'm sure any video of me playing will surface and bearing in mind I couldn't hear myself and it's my first time live for 3 years, I wouldn't expect a miracle.
    All I'm hoping for is the bits that I could hear and I could remember, I played well enough for people to like it.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    Alnico said:
    Rocker said:
    Glad to read about your playing at the Birthday Jam @Alnico. ;;;  Hope to see a video of you playing.....
    Thanks, it was great to be there and play again.

I'm sure any video of me playing will surface and bearing in mind I couldn't hear myself and it's my first time live for 3 years, I wouldn't expect a miracle.
    All I'm hoping for is the bits that I could hear and I could remember, I played well enough for people to like it.
    Sounded good to me at the gig, punters loved it :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    @Alnico you were spot on, I really wouldn't sweat it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    Some new music for today - here's @McToot (again!!) on his third instrument - the drums.  This is @CustomPedalBoards on guitar and me on bass.

@modellista - would it be possible to make this downloadable (or email me a copy) - I want to stick it on my mp3 player to use in my music room - cheers.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Some new music for today - here's @McToot (again!!) on his third instrument - the drums.  This is @CustomPedalBoards on guitar and me on bass.

@modellista - would it be possible to make this downloadable (or email me a copy) - I want to stick it on my mp3 player to use in my music room - cheers.
    Done.
    mrkb said:

Done.

Downloaded - Cheers!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    @modellista - which bass was it?
    Blackjack said:
    Aye.  There's two versions of this, this is the first one we did, in the studio.

@Bridgehouse, @Alnico @Snags @mrkb ;

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow - I like that - everyones heads nodding along as the song tension builds at the end!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
    Comfy? Sexy.
    Brilliant playing guys. Both vocals work great on this too.
    Lovely Strat @Alnico , what model you got?
    Just one that was hanging around the studio.  Natural finish, F hole...

Just kidding.  I think it was a Vintage (does Bob have shares in them?!) but it wasn't his main black one.  I'm not up on basses but I think it was a Stingray copy with a big humbucker.
    Just one that was hanging around the studio.  Natural finish, F hole...

Just kidding.  I think it was a Vintage (does Bob have shares in them?!) but it wasn't his main black one.  I'm not up on basses but I think it was a Stingray copy with a big humbucker.
    Ah - that explains why it didn’t sound like either of mine ;) 

I know the one you mean - nice bass, and @Legionreturns should have a listen ;)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Blackjack said:
    Aye.  There's two versions of this, this is the first one we did, in the studio.

@Bridgehouse, @Alnico @Snags @mrkb ;

Wow.

That was an experience watching that video.
    There's a lot I can take away from it although I'll agree, it's not a bad attempt for the first time above home volume and in a band since 2015.

I've clearly got the strap too long and the guitar too low. I hadn't practiced standing up so that caught me out.
    My guitar sounds like it wasn't quite in tune. I need a much better tuner.
    My string bending is flat. Need to practice that at volume, not quietly or acoustically.
    I need to "Chunk" that 2nd solo up into pieces I can remember properly and remember how it fits together. I lost track of it halfway through and just tried to wing it in Bm. Although that's always possible, I would have liked to have followed the actual song a bit more closely there.
    I chose to only play the solos on the day and it sounds ok but probably could have sounded better if I'd switched to a clean patch and just quietly backed Martin up with some chords or triads or whatever.

But all that said it wasn't the car crash I'd remembered and I'm pleased I tried.
    It'll be better and tighter next time.

Massive thank you to those in the room with me for giving me the chance to attempt that song live. It was a huge rush and if we can try it again next time, I'd love that.

Wow.
    ^ @alnico you did fine, I think the first section was pretty much note perfect, and the second one is basically just a jam anyway, it doesn't need to be just like the record.  Get that strap up though, who do you think you are, Kurt Cobain? :)

I like the idea of playing something in the "there is no pain" section.  At the risk of confusing things, maybe have a listen to the version we did in January (the new version is better!) - I played lead last time and spent ages working out a little figure to play in that section.  It really fills out the sound.  Also we should get @CustomPedalBoards and his massive organ - that sounded really good at the gig.

For comparison:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I love playing comfy. It’s one of those bass parts that’s wickedly simple but if your feel is off it can sound terrible. It’s a great tune to teach you how to be a subtle bass player rather than a thump-thump-thump rhythm player.

In my originals band most of my playing is that subtle harmonic playing and less rhythm, so I guess it suits my style. 

Thing about the jams is it gives me a chance to play a proper percussive bass line which keeps my hand in
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    Oh guys!!!!!!
    that was totally amazing!! I am completely in awe!!