NAD: Cornford RK100 rig

What's Hot
Following on from my WTB post in the classifieds here it is :)

I already had another RK412 here already so now have the full stack.

Unbelievable tone and actually sounds better than my MK50 and I never thought I’d say that. Less compression than on the MK, just sounds so open and I can honestly believe how much ground this amp covers from fantastic cleans all the way up to metal where is sounds huge with drop tunings.

Also cleans up better on the volume pot than my MK as well. Cannot believe the size of the transformer in it. Very very happy 

https://imgur.com/a/MTluFOK
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    What serial number is it? I used to own number 8, phenomenal amp and in my opinion Cornfords finest moment 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited August 2018
    timmysoft said:
    What serial number is it? I used to own number 8, phenomenal amp and in my opinion Cornfords finest moment 
    It’s the only Cornford I’d never owned until now and I do agree it’s certainly their finest. 

Serial number is 039, built by MK himself and is the actual amp that Richie used on his UK clinic tour 10 years ago
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    This post and your want to buy thread are fueling my want for the new rk50. I wish i had the room and money for an rk100 though, that stack looks beautiful! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Evildurka said:
    This post and your want to buy thread are fueling my want for the new rk50. I wish i had the room and money for an rk100 though, that stack looks beautiful! 
    I still can’t get over how good it sounds.

Both the previous owner and another guy I’ve spoken to this week that have both owned the RK100 have also played the RK50 and said it just wasn’t as good as his original head :(
    It's probably just the gas attack. I have a v30 mkii and it is bowling me over with how good it sounds.
  • Evildurka said:
    It's probably just the gas attack. I have a v30 mkii and it is bowling me over with how good it sounds.
    I fancy one of their new preamp pedals that are due to be released in September 
    Yeah i want the kraken pedal to use wotht the 4 cable method
    edited August 2018
    Evildurka said:
    Yeah i want the kraken pedal to use wotht the 4 cable method
    That’s the one I’m keen on and possibly the sherif 

The RK100 sounds great in drop c tuning but the kraken would really nail those heavy tones 
    Yeah the kraken is a beast of an amp i had one for a little while. To be fair the new v30 covers a lot of that territory now with the footswitchable tone stack and crunch channel. The 2nd channel on the Kraken as a drop in though through the loop will be immense. Im think i am going to try amd trade my sherriff 44 for am rk50 as i will be able to get the sheriff preamp pedal too.
  • Evildurka said:
    Yeah the kraken is a beast of an amp i had one for a little while. To be fair the new v30 covers a lot of that territory now with the footswitchable tone stack and crunch channel. The 2nd channel on the Kraken as a drop in though through the loop will be immense. Im think i am going to try amd trade my sherriff 44 for am rk50 as i will be able to get the sheriff preamp pedal too.
    Hoping the price will be good for one. I paid £500 for my Carvin Legacy preamp pedal so hoping around that but may be more as the victory looks to have more going on 
    edited August 2018
    Mmm do I go for the Kraken in the loop for my metal tone or buy the PRS MT15 as a separate amp?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    Yeah, I've been gassing for a mint MK50MKII lately..... I used to have one and miss it greatly.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Yeah, I've been gassing for a mint MK50MKII lately..... I used to have one and miss it greatly.
    I’ve had a couple of MKII models and I just couldn’t live with the clean tone so use my Carvin legacy for cleans which is why o went back to the MK1 model 
  • The RK is a special amp! SOld mine when times were tough buy I'll get another some day. Sound ridiculous with a Les Paul good and loud =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • ThorpyFX said:
    I’ve had a couple of MKII models and I just couldn’t live with the clean tone so use my Carvin legacy for cleans which is why o went back to the MK1 model 
    Did you ever try using the clean channel as a crunch channel, or did you need a proper clean?

I sold my Mk II in the end but I might try a Mk1 if it comes up for reasonable money...
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    edited August 2018
    ThorpyFX said:
    Did you ever try using the clean channel as a crunch channel, or did you need a proper clean?

I sold my Mk II in the end but I might try a Mk1 if it comes up for reasonable money...
    At the time I needed a proper clean channel and the duel fx loop was perfect too for independent channels but I found the clean to be pretty poor 

Never tried the clean as a crunch channel. Interested to hear what that would sound like 

I picked up my blackface MK50 MK1 for only £899 from Richtone a while back 
  • At the time I needed a proper clean channel and the duel fx loop was perfect too for independent channels but I found the clean to be pretty poor 

Never tried the clean as a crunch channel. Interested to hear what that would sound like 

Ta, I'll keep an eye out. People seem to be pricing Cornfords in Turkish Lira at the moment, which seems strange considering the rest of the amp market is so down, even for rare and nice stuff.

Still, plenty of other amps to enjoy in the meantime :-)

Stupidly I don't remember trying the clean as crunch thing on my MK50 II when I had it, so just wondered if anyone else had...if it works well it might be worth picking up another v2 if one comes up.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • At the time I needed a proper clean channel and the duel fx loop was perfect too for independent channels but I found the clean to be pretty poor 

Ta, I'll keep an eye out. People seem to be pricing Cornfords in Turkish Lira at the moment, which seems strange considering the rest of the amp market is so down, even for rare and nice stuff.

Still, plenty of other amps to enjoy in the meantime :-)

Stupidly I don't remember trying the clean as crunch thing on my MK50 II when I had it, so just wondered if anyone else had...if it works well it might be worth picking up another v2 if one comes up.

Yes there’s some ridiculous pricing out there. Another one on eBay this week. Beaten up MK1 with 2x12 asking £1800 lol