Going Wireless!

What's Hot
Hi Guys 

I was wondering what everyone has been using for a  live wireless guitar system.

I have been looking at the Smooth Hound, Line 6 relay g30 or g50 and Boss wl50. Opinions on those or others?

Also

Wireless In ear monitors? Which is the best for this, must be able to handle stereo too
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I've just bought the smooth hound system. Just 2 weeks ago. I ordered the system on the Wednesday morning. It turned up the next day, I fitted it to my pedalboard. It took all of 20-30 minutes to set it all up I bought the extra bits so the transmitter fits to my guitar strap as I'm not a fan of the guitar bug style transmitter.
    I used the system at band practice on the Thursday just to test it out and then gigged it on the Friday. 
    It worked effortlessly! It's sounds fantastic. I couldn't tell any difference between that and a cable except a little more treble. But this can be adjusted to simulate a cable with the settings on the receiver. It looks very Well made and is very compact. 
    Also Chris at smooth hound is a pleasure to deal with.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've recently bought the Shure GLXD16 after a bit of a search and trying a few. Have been mightily impressed on all sorts of stages so far! That said, never had an issue with my previous G30, and you can pick one up pretty cheaply!

As far as IEMs go, the Sennhesier EW300 G3s are industry standard for a reason and work really well. if you're on a budget, a few of our guys use the LD systems MEI1000. Definitely a difference, but they do a fantastic job for the price!
  • Been using my Line 6 Relay G50 for 5 years now. Pretty reliable up until recently, in the band I'm playing in the bassist uses a G10 and its been cross-talking meaning his receiver has been picking up my guitar which is weird. The other guitarists uses the Shure GLXD something which is also pretty good as the receiver acts as a tuner pedal also.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1744
    My G30 arrived this morning. Using the ebay 10% code last week i picked one up for £70. It's missing the belt clip but  a friend is making me a pouch to fit it on the strap.

Everyone i know who uses wireless has a G30 and other than the battery clip breaking have no issues with it
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    I'm now using the Audio Technica ATW1000 system and so far no complaints whatsoever - range is great, battery life is 2 gigs and its simple to use.

I had a Smoothhound (well 2 of them) and the reason I upgraded is that I was starting to have clashes with other units in the band apart from that they worked flawlessly, really good bit of gear.

IEM, I'm using Sennheiser G3 and its brill, I had the cheapo LD ME100 before it and that was OK too as a toe-dip into IEM world.
  • Been using my Line 6 Relay G50 for 5 years now. Pretty reliable up until recently, in the band I'm playing in the bassist uses a G10 and its been cross-talking meaning his receiver has been picking up my guitar which is weird. The other guitarists uses the Shure GLXD something which is also pretty good as the receiver acts as a tuner pedal also.
    You may be able to avoid this my switching the RF mode of your transmitter... a quick search on youtube, may help!
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited August 2018
    Been using my Line 6 Relay G50 for 5 years now. Pretty reliable up until recently, in the band I'm playing in the bassist uses a G10 and its been cross-talking meaning his receiver has been picking up my guitar which is weird. The other guitarists uses the Shure GLXD something which is also pretty good as the receiver acts as a tuner pedal also.
    You may be able to avoid this my switching the RF mode of your transmitter... a quick search on youtube, may help!
    Its says Ch1 RF2 on my transmitter atm which is how most people suggest to run it?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    I've been using the G10 for a couple of years, no batteries, no fuss. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    Line6 G55 because the transmitter sits on my guitar strap (I don’t like bugs flapping around in the jack socket) and the receiver is mains powered and rack mounted. Normally I use a cable, because it’s one fewer thing to go wrong. When I do use wireless I use new batteries for every gig.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Hundreds of gigs with the Smoothhound and only time I lost a signal is when I walked out of the pub I was playing into the car park. If it broke, I'd buy another tomorrow.
  • markr76 said:
    I've just bought the smooth hound system. Just 2 weeks ago. I ordered the system on the Wednesday morning. It turned up the next day, I fitted it to my pedalboard. It took all of 20-30 minutes to set it all up I bought the extra bits so the transmitter fits to my guitar strap as I'm not a fan of the guitar bug style transmitter.
    I used the system at band practice on the Thursday just to test it out and then gigged it on the Friday. 
    It worked effortlessly! It's sounds fantastic. I couldn't tell any difference between that and a cable except a little more treble. But this can be adjusted to simulate a cable with the settings on the receiver. It looks very Well made and is very compact. 
    Also Chris at smooth hound is a pleasure to deal with.

How are you fitting the transmitter to the strap?

I like the design as it’s small and compact but I agree with the look of it coming straight out of the jack. Not a fan. Definitely best to have it on a strap. 
  • Thanks guys few more options to check out.

the ew300 g3 looks a great bit of kit. Expensive though! With that transmitter work with the ew100 belt pack or ew300 only? 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    If you talk to Chris from smooth hound about the strap mounting adapter. He will send you a link. Unless it's been added to the website now. In the shop accessories section.
    It was dead easy to fit.
    If I hadn't gone with the smooth hound system I was looking at the shure unit mentioned above. But there was quite a difference in price. Plus I wanted a 2nd transmitter pack and the cost of the shure with a second pack would have been too much for my first jump into the wireless world.
    I must admit though, I felt a freedom that I'd never had before. They're fantastic.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4487
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Hundreds of gigs with the Smoothhound and only time I lost a signal is when I walked out of the pub I was playing into the car park. If it broke, I'd buy another tomorrow.
    Same for me. Totally reliable. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    I have found a leatherman belt holder thingamy works very well as a gigging accessory if you don't like the bug things with smoothound.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    rsvmark said:
    I have found a leatherman belt holder thingamy works very well as a gigging accessory if you don't like the bug things with smoothound.
    Smoothhound do also do a short cable and strap attachment thingummy I believe..
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Smooth hound user here. I use it with a short lead and have it on my belt, that makes swapping guitars easy as opposed to having it on the strap. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    G30 -- really like it.  Done loads and loads of gigs with mine. 
    You don't need any special leads for it (unlike other units).   And two AA batteries which are as cheap as chips.
    Oh, and a couple of rubber bands to fix the well-known battery door issue.
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Shure glxd for me.. great unit and zero issues with noise or interference.