Toggle switch to fit 9-10mm hole? (on-off spdt)

What's Hot
I wanna do this to my strat:

and I want the toggle to fit one of the existing tone control holes, which are ~10mm (to fit CTS pots with a bit of room to spare). I need it to fit the preexisting holes for both neatness and because I don't want to butcher my anodised guard if I can help it.

It seems that most toggles seem to come in ~4mm, ~6mm... then ~12mm! No good! Does anyone know who, if anybody, makes a toggle that will fit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    CTS push-pull pot. Use it in place of the original neck PU tone control.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Suitable washers front and back and a smaller toggle switch?
    Suitable washers front and back and a smaller toggle switch?
    If you operate the switch often and/or vigorously, the hex nut eventually works loose, allowing the switch to move about within the circumference of the pot hole.

Unless the switch has a locator lug to engage with a hole in the plastic of the pickguard, the only way to retighten the nut properly is to raise the pickguard. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    CTS push-pull pot. Use it in place of the original neck PU tone control.
    With the amount I'm rolling the pots, neither is convenient as a switch
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Rotary selector? Fender S1?
    Fender S1?
    Please don't. They are unreliable. They seem to alter the tone of any circuit into which they are introduced. Also, the splined Stratocaster version of the S1 is only available with the legend Volume in the plastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

A 6mm switch with a giant washer around it might look a bit odd, and finding a smooth finish one of the right size might take some hunting, but -
    The hole will be around 3/8" (9.5mm), a toggle might be 6mm - praps a spacer to stop it slide around, and squirming when you lock it in place? A fibre washer maybe, or a slice off a metal or plastic tube with 3/8" OD and 1/4" ID.

Like this has a 1/4 x 3/8 option - fleabay
    Might need two stacked, might need to thin one a bit, etc etc. Can sand, file, pare down fibre ones.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Put a rubber grommet in the hole and use a 6mm switch. That will not only make it fit properly but also reduce the switch click which will probably be audible through the amp, with an anodised pickguard. It won't look too odd if you put the washer on the outside, over the grommet. If it tries to work loose, put a drop of threadlock or cheap superglue on the threads before you tighten the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ugh, inches! I don't get 'em! Thanks for the tips guys
    right, so the world of washers is a confusing place and i want to spend as little time as possible wading through its murky waters. How do I get a couple of ~10.5-11mm washers with a  ~6.5-7mm hole
    bbill335 said:
    right, so the world of washers is a confusing place and i want to spend as little time as possible wading through its murky waters. How do I get a couple of ~10.5-11mm washers with a  ~6.5-7mm hole
    You should get one with a typical mini-toggle, so if you need one on the inside as well you just buy two switches, use both washers, and then when the switch inevitably gets broken you can then spend hours trying to remember where you put the spare switch :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I actually bought a pack of switches (so plenty spare washers) but the washers seem a bit small  :s i'll try mounting them and see how far I get. thanks
    Actually done! so pleased I bothered. I really miss the bridge+neck tele-ish sound when I'm playing the strat. Master tone is a no-load too, doesn't seem to have much of a "jump" between 9 and 10 though, sounds much like a regular tone pot.

• bbill335 said:
    Actually done! so pleased I bothered. I really miss the bridge+neck tele-ish sound when I'm playing the strat. Master tone is a no-load too, doesn't seem to have much of a "jump" between 9 and 10 though, sounds much like a regular tone pot.

That Jack Socket is horrible! Sort it out. 
    bbill335 said:

That Jack Socket is horrible! Sort it out. 
    you mean the rust/pitting?  :s
    Or he may mean that, unless it’s a long-thread jack, the shakeproof washer appears to be missing ;).

oh that. well that's because - annoyingly - the switchcraft jack socket doesn't fit the cavity when there's a plug inserted, unless i ditch that washer. there's blue thread locker on there for now but one day i'll route the extra mm needed.