Super Reverb

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
Hi all,

I am wanting to get a Blackface super reverb and was wanting any advice, alternatives to try or tips on what to look for. 

I am a big fan of the 4x10 set up as I’ve had that a few times and it works well for me. 

Im not really after an original a reissue would be fine unless someone tells me different. 

Thanks
Shaun
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    The '65 Super Reverb reissue is an excellent amp.

If you get one, have the internal voltage set to 240V and not the 230V that they come as (due to EU rules) - the UK's mains voltage is still really 240V, and the amp will run cooler, be less hard on the valves and sound slightly cleaner and clearer. This just involves swapping two push-connectors inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    @ICBM would you go reissue or original?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited August 2018
    65 SR RI - The best amp I have out of 9

*THE* Fender BF sound
    *THE* most acknowledged Fender Blues workhorse
    Will do whatever you ask of it - ambient, rock, country, blues and all points between
    Will do a Marshall rock tone with the right pedals/guitar combo
    Will annoy the hell out of you with the Tremolo tick/constant 12ax7 designated valve change
    Will NOT want to go anywhere without a bit of a fuss!
    Will be the most HiFi sounds you can get from a proper gigging-vol guitar amp

Makes a great piece of room furniture to boot!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    shaunm said:
    @ICBM would you go reissue or original?
    Reissue unless you have a lot of money to get a great condition original and have it professionally overhauled. And even then maybe a reissue.

Silverfaces can be a good compromise on price but they're frequently in ratty condition and need a lot of work, and they're also heavier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    You could look out for an old 4x10 Traynor Reverb Master. Cheaper, but still big/loud/heavy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There isn’t a huge difference in price between a new RI and a vintage one so I know what I’d go for but the problem with vintage ones is finding a good one at the right price. A used RI might be the best option.

I’d also try one if you haven’t already. They are a lot punchier than other Fenders and less forgiving. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea but once you get hooked on that sound other amps can seem stale by comparison!
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I've had two original blackface amps, both were excellent.

Later, I sort of built my own using a Bandmaster Reverb (same chassis) with a Bassman 2 ohm output transformer and a cabinet built by Mark Hopkins from antique pine. I was about £900 into it when finished inc. speakers, but it was very very good indeed.

Rob.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    edited August 2018
    The 65 Super Reverb Reissue is a great sounding amp. I would prefer one to my 65 DRRI but I'm done with carrying that sort of weight.

Another option is the Fender Pro Tube Super Reverb of the mid/late nineties. I did masses of gigs with one of those at that time and it never once let me down. Great sounding amp IMO - one of the best I ever gigged. Reasonable prices for a good one too.
    It's probably worth mentioning that the Vibrolux Reverb is at least reasonably similar to the Super as well - by no means identical as it's only a 2x10", and doesn't have a mid control on the Vibrato channel - but the sound is in the same ballpark if it has the same speakers. (Which the current 68RI doesn't.) And it's about half the size and weight.

• strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    There was a Gartone Super Reverb clone on Ebay not so long back, I think the guy selling it was Mark who makes his cabinets. It would cost a bit more than a used reissue but it would be fully hand wired, pine dovetail jointed cab and I'm sure it had some Weber speakers in it..

I could find out if it's still available if you like @shaunm? ;
    Certainly mate. 

In the spirit of keeping my options open what would people suggest as a possible alternative. Carr Slant maybe? 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    No , Carr Slant is more Dumble territory. DrZ EZG is closer to a Super Reverb . It's probably louder, a little more 'direct' and bigger sounding. The Z 4x10 cab is excellent .

• wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 451
    Had 2 all original SR's a 64 and a 65 - both effing fabulous but also effing heavy
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    I had a 65 SRRI for a while and it's easily the best sounding amp I've ever played.  I only sold it because I wasn't gigging and it seemed obscene to have something so loud taking up space in the dining room, but by jingo what a sound.  I'd have another in a heartbeat.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

The trouble seems to be finding a reissue on the second hand market!