AC30s and attenuator - how?

randersonranderson Frets: 187
edited August 2018 in Amps
I'm wanting to trial the use of a Fryette Power Station with my AC30 combo.

After a cursory look at the AC30 there doesn't seem to be speaker out/in jacks underneath the amplifier section of the combo, rather it is hardwired in I think?

Is this a mod that I will have to make myself (soldering a jack on the speaker cable) or am I missing something? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    If it's a vintage AC30, yes the speakers are hardwired to the amp - although not soldered, it's done with a 'chocolate block' connector (screw terminals). You need to get another one, and a speaker cable which you cut in half and fit one half to the amp and the other half via the new choc block to the speakers.

Be careful if you do this too often as the screws will chew up the wires after a while and can lead to the individual strands fraying and breaking off. If you want to connect the amp directly to the speakers it's better to get a coupler which you can either buy - *only* the Neutrik locking one, no others are suitable for speaker current - or make from two 1/4" sockets soldered together.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Great info as always, many thanks. Is there any reason why undertaking this could be bad for a vintage amp, outside of the frayed wires?

I'm keen to go ahead with this as I feel it is the best way to get the most usability out of the amp itself but wouldn't want to regret it for any reason later on.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    randerson said:

Is there any reason why undertaking this could be bad for a vintage amp, outside of the frayed wires?
    Just the risk of the extra connections potentially causing an open circuit if one of them fails. If you check everything is in good condition regularly, it should be fine - it will never be as safe as with the speakers connected directly to the amp, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff if it means you can actually use it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Many thanks for all your help. I appreciate it!