eBay refund advise

What's Hot
King85King85 Frets: 631
Hi,

Purchased an amp off ebay it arrived today and it had been shipped in just a bin bag.
Unsurprisingly it doesn't work, the input jack is loose, a knob is missing and every corner is scratched.

I've started a return for refund and the guy has instantly kicked off saying it was fine and they don't need to be shipped in a box as they're robust.

I've said I'm happy to return but he needs to accept and raise a return postage for it right? I shouldn't post it back without him accepting it first right?
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    bummer, what an idiot, ebay should side with you as long as you use the official channels for returning the item
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nothing to worry about here...the return for refund is because the item is not working, you will receive a postage coupon through ebay print it off and attach to package..ship..he will receive it...and have no choice.

dont post it back until you are advised by ebay

if he doesnt play ball you open a case against him, the date you can do this should have been stated when you requested a refund.

He has no chance

as long as you state its broken all will be paid and all monies you paid out will be refunded

he is obviously a twat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • kipplekipple Frets: 354
    edited August 2018
    King85 said:
    Hi,

Purchased an amp off ebay it arrived today and it had been shipped in just a bin bag.
    Unsurprisingly it doesn't work, the input jack is loose, a knob is missing and every corner is scratched.

I've started a return for refund and the guy has instantly kicked off saying it was fine and they don't need to be shipped in a box as they're robust.

I've said I'm happy to return but he needs to accept and raise a return postage for it right? I shouldn't post it back without him accepting it first right?
    Who was the ebay seller 
    I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • What interstellar said. The seller is about to get a lesson in how not to sell on eBay...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I'd rather not put his details on here as it doesn't look like he's selling anything else guitar related.

I'd like to add this disappointment was on top of me paying £20 for next day delivery last Monday morning and only getting it today on Hermes cheapo option, he didn't even ship it out until Friday.

Some people.

At the moment he's just said return it but no postage has been issued. I've said raise a return postage label and now I'm waiting. Should I just wait now and if he doesn't respond wait for eBay to intervene?

Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yes to the above patience sir, Pain in the ass people like "yer man" here...
    Thanks I'll update when I have some news.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bin bag, the protector of all things robust.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

I had an ebay win sent wrapped in a bit of loose cardboard, a bin bag round that and a plastic flower pot over the headstock, all vaguely taped together.

What was it?

A 1978 US Precision bass I'd paid nearly a grand for (no case).
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    King85 said:

I'd like to add this disappointment was on top of me paying £20 for next day delivery last Monday morning and only getting it today on Hermes cheapo option, he didn't even ship it out until Friday.

Some people.

At the moment he's just said return it but no postage has been issued. I've said raise a return postage label and now I'm waiting. Should I just wait now and if he doesn't respond wait for eBay to intervene?
    Yes.

And after that, open a dispute with Paypal about the £20 he cheated you out of by not using it to pay for next day delivery if Ebay don't fully refund you on that as well.

It can be done, you just need to be patient and follow all the terms and conditions to the letter, and you will end up only losing your time. I've had a couple of run-ins with sellers who don't think the rules apply to them, and had to be made to find out the hard way that they do.

Ebay can be a nightmare for private sellers now, if you run into a bad buyer - but at least when you're the buyer and the seller is the problem, they're almost always on your side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Paul_C said:

I had an ebay win sent wrapped in a bit of loose cardboard, a bin bag round that and a plastic flower pot over the headstock, all vaguely taped together.

What was it?

A 1978 US Precision bass I'd paid nearly a grand for (no case).

At least you got a flowerpot! Someone sent me an Epi Dot wrapped in brown paper. No gig bag, no cardboard, no gardening equipment. I could see the neck flapping about inside as the courier brought it to me. 

2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You must open a dispute case with ebay first before doing anything. Once done just follow the process.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You must open a dispute case with ebay first before doing anything. Once done just follow the process.
    I've opened it as a return due to fault. He's now accepted and eBay have said wait for him to issue a return postage label.

If he hasn't done so by the 15th I can get them to step in.

Is that what you mean?
    I got in contact with eBay and they tried to get the seller to respond, never heard from him so they sided with me and i got a full refund.

Thanks for everyones help, I might take it apart on the weekend and see if I can get it working again. If not it'll go the the tip.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Ebay may ask you to destroy it anyway.

If so, “destroy” means carefully removing any useful parts - especially valves and speakers, also knobs, handles, feet, jack nuts and anything else you may need one day - and *then* take a pic of yourself throwing the rest into the tip.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

No they've issued the refund already, I asked what I should do with it and they said i'm free to dispose of it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Glad you got a result out of all the carnage the seller has caused, hopefully he'll have learnt to wrap things properly next time. Did you follow up on the postage refund, seeing as how he didn't do what he promised there either?
    boogieman said:
    Glad you got a result out of all the carnage the seller has caused, hopefully he'll have learnt to wrap things properly next time. Did you follow up on the postage refund, seeing as how he didn't do what he promised there either?
    eBay refunded the full amount including the original postage costs. I think he knew he'd messed up and didn't see any point in spending more money on postage to get a broken amp back so ignored it thinking I'd give up tbh.
  • mondaypeanutmondaypeanut Frets: 72
    edited August 2018
    Once bought a blues driver off eBay without a box, the seller stuck postage on the base of the pedal itself, sellotaped once over the postage and around the pedal and sent it like that. Turned up without the knobs. Charged £8 for postage! Classic eBay...
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    Glad this worked out well. As a coda, a horror story: I once bought a Gibson SG (from here, in fact - the seller has long since gone). It was sent to me wrapped in a dustbin bag, with a secondhand jiffy bag taped round the headstock. For protection, like. When I went to collect it from reception at work, at first glance I thought it was a broken inside-out umbrella (the bag wasn't even taped well).

The guitar was fine.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom