Neck alignment issue

Putting together a Tele Deluxe, and there's a neck alignment issue with the holes. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/aCl3Rns

My query is, it's fairly minor, so is it worth plugging the holes and sorting out? Is there any inherent weakness issues or risks doing this, especially with a 3 bolt? 

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited August 2018
    It's not totally clear from a photo always but that should be able to be sorted by loosening the string tension to almost slack, loosening the bolts and pulling on the neck to get the right alignment. It's a common enough issue with 3 bolt necks that some owners glue sandpaper or place a thin metal mesh in the pocket to stop slippage. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    If the pocket isn’t totally tight that can be fixed just by pulling the headstock towards the bass side. If it won’t stay there it may need a small shim on the side wall of the pocket, just at the very inner end on the bass side.

It definitely shouldn’t need plugging and redrilling - that’s always a last resort, it’s a huge amount of work to do right.

As Winny_Pooh said, there are also ways of stabilising the neck with sandpaper, mesh (I find that too thick usually) or a pair of panel pins driven into the pocket floor to lock the neck in place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    So the photo is after some pulling/moving on the neck towards the bass side, i.e. I don't think it will move over anymore with any pulling or shimming. 

Is plugging and re-drilling more risky with a 3 bolt? I mean, it doesn't affect playability so not sure what the negatives of the current alignment would otherwise be? 
    So the photo is after some pulling/moving on the neck towards the bass side, i.e. I don't think it will move over anymore with any pulling or shimming. 

Is plugging and re-drilling more risky with a 3 bolt? I mean, it doesn't affect playability so not sure what the negatives of the current alignment would otherwise be? 
    In that case leave it.

Plugging and redrilling the wood will weaken it. The least damaging is to drill out much larger, fit side-cut maple plugs, and redrill - but it's a huge amount of work and if it's currently not a problem for playability, it's a waste of time and effort.

I would still shim it if the neck is not absolutely tight in the pocket, it's surprising how much difference even a tiny movement can make.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    ICBM said:

In that case leave it.

Plugging and redrilling the wood will weaken it. The least damaging is to drill out much larger, fit side-cut maple plugs, and redrill - but it's a huge amount of work and if it's currently not a problem for playability, it's a waste of time and effort.

I would still shim it if the neck is not absolutely tight in the pocket, it's surprising how much difference even a tiny movement can make.
    So just a small, thin shim at the bottom (closest to the pickup) end of the bass side, to tilt the neck slightly? 

Thanks 
    5redlights said:

So just a small, thin shim at the bottom (closest to the pickup) end of the bass side, to tilt the neck slightly? 

Thanks 
    Yes, if there's room. It will effectively pivot on the outer end of the neck pocket and push the headstock towards the bass side, which will make the strings line up better.

(Just to be clear, alongside the neck not under it, but I assume you know that ;).)