Dog meat.

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
edited August 2018 in Off Topic
Was flicking through the BBC site on my way to work and saw this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-45085514

I don't really get it. Given the range of animals we eat without or little question, why should eating Dog meat be banned?

Was also suprised to see there is a cross party parliamentary group for the welfare of dogs. Is that really required seperate to genreal animal welfare?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    edited August 2018
    And yet animal welfare on factory farms is non-existent, with no desire to be debated nor monitored and meant to interfere with profits as little as possible. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    I've never fancied a tin of Chappie to be honest, heard it's a bit ruff.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's one of those laws they can put out to cover what they are really up to
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I’ve heard a story told at my company of an ex pat member of staff who missed the taste of doggy. 

He was based in Hungary and asked one of the local members of staff if they knew of anywhere that he could procure dog meat. 

The staff member asked how much he’d be willing to pay. The amount was enough for the staff member to offer up his own dog for consumption. Which was taken, and eaten. 

Word got round that ex pats would pay over the odds for a dog to eat, and loads of staff members ended up offering their own dog’s services! 

I’ve called bullshit on it a few times but people insist it’s true.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12303
    Culturally we take dogs as pets and treat them like a member of the family (or should do) and that’s why we don’t eat them, however most of us will turn a blind eye to the fact that a lot of our cosmetics are tested on beagles and other animals as long as we look and smell nice, that should be th focus In Parliament rather than the relatively minuscule issue of eating dog meat on a non commcial scale in the UK. It feels like tokenism. As for the Asian countries where it is relatively commonplace, there is an upswell of protest that is emerging as slowly things are changing. Very slowly at the moment but a lot of the young people are on side, and that can only bring good. Sound like virtue signalling (trendy new phrase sorry!) but check your brands and don’t buy the ones that torture animals for profit whenever you can.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31555
    We generally shy away from eating fellow meat eaters, historically for health and cross contamination reasons, which is probably the reason why pork is often restricted or prohibited in the religions of hot countries. 

This makes it culturally alien to us. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15484
    for me the issue is the humanely killed bit. IIRC you can't eat meat that has been euthanased by a vet (I seem to recall someone telling me that the drugs used render the meat unsafe for consumption) and no abattoir will touch them, so how do you maintain suitable records to ensure the animals are humanely killed?
    I remember a few years back there was a chap up in geordie land who people would take ex racing greyhounds to that they couldn't rehome and he was shooting them (all humanely done and everything) and the fuss and abuse he suffered was so bad, he ended up giving it up. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    VimFuego said:
    for me the issue is the humanely killed bit. IIRC you can't eat meat that has been euthanased by a vet (I seem to recall someone telling me that the drugs used render the meat unsafe for consumption) and no abattoir will touch them, so how do you maintain suitable records to ensure the animals are humanely killed?
    I remember a few years back there was a chap up in geordie land who people would take ex racing greyhounds to that they couldn't rehome and he was shooting them (all humanely done and everything) and the fuss and abuse he suffered was so bad, he ended up giving it up. 
    You should do some research on the dog racing industry.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    p90fool said:
    We generally shy away from eating fellow meat eaters, historically for health and cross contamination reasons, which is probably the reason why pork is often restricted or prohibited in the religions of hot countries. 

Yup eating carnivores is a risky business.  plus as people mentioned we revere dogs.  Like the Samuel L Jackson scene in pulp fiction they have character unlike pigs which unfortunately for them taste like bacon...
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    usedtobe said:
    VimFuego said:
    Here's a start :   

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/picture-appears-show-greyhound-being-13883431

usedtobe said:
    VimFuego said:
    well, I've heard some stuff anecdotally, but that doesn't really have anything to do with this issue. 

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    VimFuego said:
    usedtobe said:
    VimFuego said:
    well, I've heard some stuff anecdotally, but that doesn't really have anything to do with this issue. 
    If I remember rightly he was stun gunning greyhounds to order and burying them on his land. So no reason why a vet could not have been used.
    VimFuego said:
    usedtobe said:
    VimFuego said:
    If I remember rightly he was stun gunning greyhounds to order and burying them on his land. So no reason why a vet could not have been used.
    I think it was cost, he was a lot cheaper than a vet. A not very nice indictment of the dog racing industry. 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited August 2018
    munckee said:
    p90fool said:

Yup eating carnivores is a risky business.  plus as people mentioned we revere dogs.  Like the Samuel L Jackson scene in pulp fiction they have character unlike pigs which unfortunately for them taste like bacon...
    See, I would understand if the claim was made and it was due to the risk associated - but it's not mentioned at all and I don't get the impression that it's a driving factor. I wonder if it's more that they feel it will be a popular policy, therefore more appealing to the public and can be used as a parliamentary feel good PR stunt, based on the general public's love of dogs.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Reminds me of this:

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    There is no difference between eating dog and eating cow, pig or bird. I know people with pet ducks and chickens, that they love and care for the same way I do for my pets. This is partly why I don't eat any meat.

However, this MP has obviously got a bee in her bonnet based on a fake Facebook post that has been shared by the old biddies in her constituency, and she doesn't know how to use Snopes. Nobody in the UK eats dog meat. My ex went to Korea years ago, and went looking for some to try as she had heard it was a local speciality. She had to find some back-street restaurant to get it, as all of the standard traditional Korean places were horrified at the concept of eating dog, even though it was a 'traditional' meat.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    There is no difference between eating dog and eating cow, pig or bird. I know people with pet ducks and chickens, that they love and care for the same way I do for my pets. This is partly why I don't eat any meat.

However, this MP has obviously got a bee in her bonnet based on a fake Facebook post that has been shared by the old biddies in her constituency, and she doesn't know how to use Snopes. Nobody in the UK eats dog meat. My ex went to Korea years ago, and went looking for some to try as she had heard it was a local speciality. She had to find some back-street restaurant to get it, as all of the standard traditional Korean places were horrified at the concept of eating dog, even though it was a 'traditional' meat.

I'm sure during ww2 and other really lean times 'we' have eaten a few dogs, rats, badgers etc.  I read a report which said there is no way to produce enough meat for the ever expanding population of the developing world and most likely is we make some sort of tofu from crushed up insects in the future.  The most successful thing we could do is learn to eat jellyfish as they are about the only thing expanding at our rate.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    munckee said:

I'm sure during ww2 and other really lean times 'we' have eaten a few dogs, rats, badgers etc.  I read a report which said there is no way to produce enough meat for the ever expanding population of the developing world and most likely is we make some sort of tofu from crushed up insects in the future.  The most successful thing we could do is learn to eat jellyfish as they are about the only thing expanding at our rate.
    Or, we could make the tofu the normal way, using all the soy beans that we're currently feeding to all the farmed animals that we then plan to eat ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited August 2018
    Interestingly enough insect burgers and insect balls have started making an appearance in swiss supermarket chain Coop.

https://img.coopathome.ch/produkte/880_880/RGB/5934447_001.jpg?_=1505115687844

• I used to know an old gent who was a young soldier when he was captured by the Germans while fighting in Italy in 1944. He said he weight 14 st when they caught him. They put him in a PoW camp with loads of others and by the time he was freed he weighed 7 st. During his time there him and his mates befriended a cat, which they killed and ate because they were desperate for food (apparently the ration was half a rotten cabbage leaf and a crust of mouldy bread per day). I asked him what it tasted like, he said "It was very greasy meat".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself