Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

To Sell CD Collection or Not To Sell…

What's Hot

I am finally thinking of taking the plunge and shedding my CD and DVD collection.

I’d be happy enough initially to burn my DVD collection to digital, using something like Power ISO, which as far as I am aware, will keep the menu and chapters etc. I'm ok with this.

My CD collection is something I’m still not convinced I should get rid of. Maybe it’s just me, but I always felt that CDs sounded better than digital files. (Am I correct in saying this?)

However, they’ve been in storage for the last few years and most are available online through streaming anyhow.

Some of the more hard to find ones, I might keep, but I’m at a crossroads! Even if I do try and sell them, I’ll probably not get much.

What to do! Has anyone done it? I have a small enough vinyl collection. I stopped as I was accumulating “stuff”.

Other than Power ISO, any other options for ripping dvds and keeping the chapters/menus etc?

Any good external failsafe external dvd drives?

Gah! Convince me otherwise!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Sell them and spend the £25 on buying a round.

In all seriousness, keep them, if only because it'll be a hassle selling them and you'll get f*ck all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14035
    tFB Trader
    Keep - I still have mine

One reason is that by physically browsing them stored on a shelf, I will pick something out to play that I forgot about - I think browsing down vast a itune style listing is boring and unless you are looking for a specific listing, you scroll so quickly you don't look at the list as such - does that make sense

Also if you have friends round, etc they look at your collection and it then creates a talking point - same with books - No one grabs your phone, looks at the list and then talks about a particular band/artist etc

I also like to read the album notes - who wrote, produced played on that track etc

Old fashioned maybe but I much prefer a physical collection over a download itunes list
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited August 2018
    I 'pruned' mine recently. I looked at all of the CDs and picked out all of those I will never listen to again - which was pretty easy - then had another look at stuff I probably wouldn't ever listen to again. The latter I ripped, the former I didn't bother with. Then I listed them for sale: I sold one here, a pile to online buyers (Ziffit, We buy books are better than music magpie) and took a much bigger pile to the local charity shop. I did the same with books. I now have a lot more space available and have kept the CDs thatI felt were worth keeping for whatever reason.
  • Vinyl and streaming for me, not had a CD player for 3 odd years now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep. By all means try alternative storage & playback solutions but if they get damaged or lost at least you have a backup.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I'm trying to go down the minimalist road I think...
  • In 20 year’s time when CDs make a comeback everyone will regret selling their collections!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • In 20 year’s time when CDs make a comeback everyone will regret selling their collections!
    Yep, that's another thing ;)
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Keep.  MP3’s inferior quality, and you’ll get next to nothing for them anyway.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587

they’ve been in storage for the last few years

Then sell them. Anything you've not used in that long is a liability, not an asset.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited August 2018
    If you do rip and sell the CDs, make sure you have several backups of the digital copies. My stepson ripped all his stuff to his laptop, which then got stolen. Lost everything and had to start again. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    I've sold a couple of hundred. You'd be hard pushed to notice the difference. It may worth looking at discogs to see if you have any valuable ones as I doubt music magpie would give the £100 a CD.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Get rid of them and you'll be surprised how quickly you forget them.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited August 2018
    High bitrate lossy encoding is only an issue if you need to reencode to a new format. 256k and above is audibly transparent. I like having a collection though and like @strumjoughlamps I have a spotify sub + vinyl now (the spinning money pit)
  • I have a Spotify sub and only buy vinyl rarely (if it's something I really really want, just like in the old days when I couldn't afford to buy lots of music).
    I suppose I would be happy with digital and vinyl and would be more likely to have keep a good set of speakers etc.
    I'll go through the collection and make a list of what I'd get rid of V what I'd keep to begin with...
    The thoughts of trying to sell them online and post them gives me a pain in me arse!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Keep them in storage.  By all means rip them to a hard drive but if you are going to do so, rip them to FLAC or other lossless files.  Get a decent [inexpensive] USB DAC such as the John Kenny Ciunas DAC.  The OP asked if ripped files are better/worse than CD.  Through a decent DAC a FLAC file is at least as good as the CD.  I have read that FLAC is better than CD but any difference is marginal.  One thing for sure: CD is way better than low bitrate rips.  But you knew that anyway.  Common sense really.

Do make backups of your hard drive files.  It takes a long time to rip a large number of CDs.  Not a job to be repeated.  Ever.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • keep them, some future cosmic catastrophe could wipe out all the hard drives, seriously you never know whether your, say, cloud back up will suddenly disappear which is bound to happen at the same time as your hard drive packs up,, same thing relying on Spotify, I don't think they've not made a profit yet, could go bust
  • Just flog them. I sold mine years ago and never miss them.

I did back them up digitally but considering how much I actually bother listening to those I shouldn't have bothered. 

Spotify all the way for me, if I want a physical copy then I get it on vinyl. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    boogieman said:
    If you do rip and sell the CDs
    ...then you're committing a criminal offence. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd not bother ripping.
    Left it too late now, worth bugger all.