Master volume v's Pre

What's Hot
GazMozGazMoz Frets: 26
Hello all. 
Question; Does running an amp with the master high and using the pre-amp volume to control the overall output put more stress on your power amp tubes? 
Just had an EL34 go that really wasn't that old. I do realise that they can "just go" as it were, but wonder if I contributed to it's short lifespan in any way. 
Any thoughts greatly appreciated 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    edited August 2018
    @ICBM sorry to bother you. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    If you use an amp with the master cranked and control the output with the pre/gain you will get more power amp distortion but it shouldn’t have that much of an impact on the longevity. 
  • GazMozGazMoz Frets: 26
    rico said:
    If you use an amp with the master cranked and control the output with the pre/gain you will get more power amp distortion but it shouldn’t have that much of an impact on the longevity. 
    I'm not getting any drive from the power tubes, I don't think, it's all coming from the separate gain control. The reason I do it this way is so that my volume boost pedal run in the loop has the most effect. Thanks for the input though, I'm sure that I'm not hurting the valves, just making sure really.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    No, it won't make any difference to the power valves unless *both* the master and the preamp volume are cranked.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    No, it won't make any difference to the power valves unless *both* the master and the preamp volume are cranked.
    I did think that, just making sure really. So I had a bad valve then?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    GazMoz said:

Probably, but - from your description of the controls, is it a JMP Marshall 2204? If so, check that it has screen resistors fitted - most didn't, and are hard on valves as a result. JCM800 and all 2203s have them as stock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    GazMoz said:

Probably, but - from your description of the controls, is it a JMP Marshall 2204? If so, check that it has screen resistors fitted - most didn't, and are hard on valves as a result. JCM800 and all 2203s have them as stock.
    It's an MJW Orion. I run the master at 3:00 and the pre at around 10:00 so that my boost pedal works in the loop. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    edited August 2018
    Pre= Fzzz
    Master=Boom-in-the-room
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>