Receding gum

What's Hot
I've got a receding gum (probably caused by my bruxism) - just above one tooth. I think it's exposed a nerve because yoowsaaaa.... Anybody got similar? I understand you can't really get it fixed. Will see the dentist in November..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    PRS owners usually get preferential treatment from dentists! :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boom boom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28146
    November is a long way away if you're in pain. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I can last, will see how it goes. So strange that it's just above the one tooth. Lol @richardhomer ;
  • Swilling with Corsadyl might help. I don't think it can un-recede a receded gum but it might reduce the discomfort.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited August 2018
    ...they will just do a small pocket filling on the top of the tooth and will not require and drilling if not needed.

So this is a lesson in brushing your teeth correctly by not SCRUBBING side to side, but gently letting the brush filaments flick up or down from gumline outwards and allowing them to ingress around and between the teeth.

And Yes - My Mother studied Dentistry and I do own a PRS
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    As above it takes about 5 mins and does the trick. In the meantime try rubbing sensodyne into the effected area a couple of times a day.w
    This.  Or any other sensitive type toothpaste.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I found out from my dentist that the phrase "getting long in the tooth" (meaning getting older) comes from the phenomena of receding gums.  Anyways, I have 'em. 
    Corsadyl.   And interdental toothbrushes!
    WTF?
    I'd never used them before, wasn't happy about it at first cos it's a bit more faffing but now I'm a convert.  Basically, the gaps between teeth widen with receding gums so stuff gets stuck in there and this can drive further gum problems.
    The little brushes gets rid of stuff between teeth you didn't even know was there.  They come in different sizes.  0.4mm is a good place to start. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was told brush onto the tooth from the gum and never the other way otherwise you could be "sweeping dirt under the carpet" and set up an infection. My daily ritual (necessary after eating bacon for breakfast) involves  flossing, then rinsing with Dentyl ph, then brushing with toothpaste. Don't rinse the toothpaste out as its presence will go on acting after you leave the bathroom (but do wipe any dribbles off your chin!).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Use a soft toothbrush. Got myself one a few days ago and it is a lot easier on your gums

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I have an allergic reaction to Corsodyl, and when I reported this to my dentist, she asked if I had any surgical alcohol... I said no, but is vodka close enough? Apparently it is, although they're not really supposed to say that ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Receding eh? what you need is a gumover
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had been brushing too hard for the past decade and it was only 2-3 years ago when I finally saw a dentist did I discover I had to switch down to a soft bristle brush. Now I hold it differently, with 1-2 fingers and my thumb and brush in circular motions, instead of side-to-side. They're still pretty bad on my right side but had I continued the way they were I probably wouldn't have any gums left. I did use Corsodyl for a short while.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    I like that I got a 'Wisdom' - most apt!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    And don't spit it out. 

I've a friend who brushes her teeth 25 mins each time. I read two mins is optimal. And do it vertically (side to side not good, apparently).
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7780

Electric toothbrush, interdental brushes and regular visits (I know this from my own battles with gum problems).

My Oral B brush has a pressure sensor and it was only around £25.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Right I'm gonna get one for my birthday in October! Toothbrush for my birthday! :lol: 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited August 2018
    Right I'm gonna get one for my birthday in October! Toothbrush for my birthday! lol 
    Typical guitarist - if in doubt - throw money at the problem
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom