Northumberland Activity ideas?

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
Away near Seahouses the week after next. Other than the beach, Alnwick gardens and Bamburgh castle, any recommendations to keep a 6 year old boy happy?
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Lindisfarne is a must see even if a six year old might not find it fascinating. There is stuff to look at and run around and ice cream.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Beamish worth a trip

Tower Knowe Visitor Centre - Kielder

walk on the coast/headland - let him run wild and get worn out !!!

Airbox Bounce trampoline park near Cramlington - my daughter loved it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 545454545454 Frets: 184
    Cragside is brilliant and not too far from Alnwick - it's the house of the engineer William Armstrong. The grounds are massive too so you can drive around and stop at various points for walks / picnics, think there's even a labyrinth. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Alnwick Castle in addition to the Garden, of course. Lindisfarne i'd second as well - a wander round the town then a walk up to the castle on the headland. Even driving across the causeway my 6yo found fascinating, as we went across just after the water had receded enough to do so.

Visit Low Newton by the sea and have a wander through the dunes and the bird sanctuary, stop in at the Ship Inn (I think) for refreshments. 

Beadnell bay has some old Limekilns to look at just at the old harbour, but more importantly the enormous beach - walk from there along past Embleton and so on towards Dunstanburgh castle ruins. Good for kite flying if the weather is back to UK normal...

Craster is worth a look too. 

Further out, Cragside house could be interesting, Ford and Etal estate for a short day trip - they have a small gauge railway you can take a ride on too. 

Lots to see and do down there as long as you like being outside :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think even a 6 yo will like seeing the tide come in at Lindisfarne. And his parents might just like to see the Britannia cafe as featured on the inside of the cover of Fog On The Tyne. BTW the abbey ruins and all the other historical stuff is good too ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    When I was a bairn I always liked the ruined castles of Warkworth and Norham. Let the youngun run around for an hour or two.

A boat trip from Seahouses to Lindisfarne perhaps. You may have to book ahead. Think there are two companies do trips. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4167
    Cragside is ace.  Both mine and Mrs' R's parents live in the north-east so I've been around most of the places getting a mention here but Cragside was one of the more interesting.  First house in the world to use hydroelectric power.  The Archimedes Screw is very interesting.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Bamburgh Castle is awesome and the beach stunning. My 6 and 10 yr olds love it, esp the dungeons. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Lindisfarne? Really? Dull place IMO, unless you like monks and religious history. there is NAFF all there.

boat trip to the Farne Isles is good, you can get one from Seahouses.

Budle Bay, just outside Bamburgh has a great beach, huge.

Big fan of the area.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    There's a railway preservation scheme going on at Alnwick, they hope to open eventually to Alnmouth.  Not sure about opening days/hours, but search for Alnwick Lionheart station.

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Whitley Bay for the beach (about 10 miles away?), Northumberlandia park (he can climb up "slag Alice" and look at the huge mining diggers at work.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Thanks all. Much appreciated. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis