Deluxe Memory Man power issues

randersonranderson Frets: 187
I recently bought a voltage doubler to run from my Hotstone Deluxe power supply into my vintage DMM. When attached (into two 9v 200mA outputs) light powers up fine. Nice and bright. But no effect at all. If I plug the original power adapter into the DMM, again the light is nice and bright but this time the effects work beautifully. What gives?!
Any help greatly appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    I'm finding that some pedals from EHX (and also my Keeley Caverns V2) prefer to be powered by their dedicated supplies, or in the case of the Caverns, a separate 9V Boss PSU, My Synth 9 from EHX didn't want to be powered by the multi-supply, just the one that came with it. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Thanks for the input. The Hotstone website does attest to this method though.
    https://www.decibel11.com/products_hot_stone_deluxe.aspx
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    edited August 2018
    Mine is 24V so it needs 2x12V. And it's Centre Positive. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    edited August 2018
    randerson said:
    I recently bought a voltage doubler to run from my Hotstone Deluxe power supply into my vintage DMM. When attached (into two 9v 200mA outputs) light powers up fine. Nice and bright. But no effect at all. If I plug the original power adapter into the DMM, again the light is nice and bright but this time the effects work beautifully. What gives?!
    If you're plugging a voltage doubler cable into two 9V outlets then you're giving the pedal 18V. The most recent version of the DMM is a 24V pedal (I'm not 100% sure on the older ones). The LED lighting up but no sound passing would make sense if you are feeding 18V to a 24V pedal. 

HOWEVER the one thing you absolutely need to check is whether your pedal needs a centre negative or centre positive signal, and which you are passing in to it from your PSU. Feeding the wrong polarity in could damage your pedal. 

Which (specific) version of the DMM do you have? 

edited August 2018
    randerson said:
    If you're plugging a voltage doubler cable into two 9V outlets then you're giving the pedal 18V. The most recent version of the DMM is a 24V pedal (I'm not 100% sure on the older ones). The LED lighting up but no sound passing would make sense if you are feeding 18V to a 24V pedal. 

HOWEVER the one thing you absolutely need to check is whether your pedal needs a centre negative or centre positive signal, and which you are passing in to it from your PSU. Feeding the wrong polarity in could damage your pedal. 

Which (specific) version of the DMM do you have? 

Thanks this was exactly right. Dip switches are now in 12v settings and all good except..

I've discovered that the DMM sounds best (consistent clear repeats) when using the provided adapter.

When using the voltage doubler as outlined above the repeats sounds a bit 'choked' and inconsistent in their clarity, even when no other pedals in chain. Adding other pedals powered by the Hotstone Deluxe but with DMM on independent adapter, continues with the choked effect, but adding pedals powered by battery into the DMM (bypassing Hotstone) = good solid repeats again.

Anyone else experienced this?

So I've discovered the noise gate on my Line6 M9 in the chain was a partial cause and so the chain is no longer an issue but even still, unless powered by its own adapter the sound of the DMM is degraded when powered by the Hotstone Deluxe.
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    edited August 2018
    It shouldn't make any difference. Mine is fine with the adapter or with a power supply (Voodoo Labs). 
    bwets said:
    It shouldn't make any difference. Mine is fine with the adapter or with a power supply (Voodoo Labs). 
    Yes it works fine but the delay trails kinda choke on the last one or two when feedback is up full. Also at various intervals there seems to be a slight sonic distortion mixed in with the first repeat.