The Parkinson of Pedals- Chris Buck on TPS

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 553

I have to say this is one of the most stand out episodes of TPS to date. Chris Bucks playing is superb and even Dan shuts up for most of it! Super episode and well worth a watch. I am off to see if he is playing anywhere near me as I have a funny feeling he might be rather good live....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1368
    I really enjoyed this one, too and Chris Buck was entertaining with both his playing and his chat.
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 270
    Great player and zero ego. He has a great touch on the instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 18370
    edited August 11
    Excellent episode - he’s a lovely player 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 510
    Love this guys playing. Good episode.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 5454
    He needs a good haircut IMO
    Michael Fish is God
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 6980
    Quite enjoyed it. Wish they’d still occasionally do something about pedals ( other than bloody overdrives) and perfectly nice though Chris Buck seems ( and he’s posted on here hasn’t he so obviously a man of taste) he hasn’t got anything particularly interesting to say about pedals. But I was sorting the laundry to a soundtrack of Buck and Evans earlier so I guess it’s had some impact :smile: 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 532
    Does anyone else not like his playing? My ears aren't keen.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 1488
    I loved his Strat playing. I had caught a few of his own Youtube postings and was mightily impressed  :)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 748
    I often find these hard to watch, especially with the length of them, but since Buck is my new favourite guitar player I think I'll try and make it through all this!
    Is there something wrong with my computer or is this only available in low-definition?
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 345
    Schnozz said:
    You're not alone fella. i made it about half way through yesterday. I found his playing was bland and samey. Not for me I'm afraid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    https://youtu.be/ed21oHiaFT0

Pure, restrained taste. Play for the song not to impress.
    TA22GT said:
    https://youtu.be/ed21oHiaFT0

Pure, restrained taste. Play for the song not to impress.
    Watched that the other day - great tune. Kind of weird to have gone to all the trouble of all the tealights in the cave but the result is good. Almost expect Meatloaf to show up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    @thegummy ;  the lol is from me! lol!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5294
    I think he’s a great player, and seems a really nice guy, just not a fan of Buck and Evans as a musical
    vehicle for it, just all a bit middle aged music, he’s a young guy, hope he find something that just kills it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 18370
    dindude said:
    I think he’s a great player, and seems a really nice guy, just not a fan of Buck and Evans as a musical
    vehicle for it, just all a bit middle aged music, he’s a young guy, hope he find something that just kills it. 
    That’s my take too. He has plenty of time to find a vehicle truly suited to his talent - but I agree that Buck and Evans isn’t it....
    thegummy said:
    Is there something wrong with my computer or is this only available in low-definition?
    360 on mine, lot of comments on YouTube saying it’s only in low def. Not normally. 
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 932
    SidNewton said:
    Schnozz said:
    You're not alone fella. i made it about half way through yesterday. I found his playing was bland and samey. Not for me I'm afraid.
    I thought i was alone.
    it was a pleasant watch but I just don’t get all the hype about his playing.

Just watched the second half of it there - good stuff.

Need to watch the Coxon one he mentioned now!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9191
    Daft hair but a decent guitar player and seems a nice bloke. Just one question... am I supposed to know who he is? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 2318
    Meh. I'd like to see more players who aren't bluesweeblers. Since GigRig products are a prerequisite to get on apparently, someone who uses a G2 for all it's worth for something effect-heavy and complex enough to actually make a switcher necessary would be good.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Meh. I'd like to see more players who aren't bluesweeblers. Since GigRig products are a prerequisite to get on apparently, someone who uses a G2 for all it's worth for something effect-heavy and complex enough to actually make a switcher necessary would be good.

I've suggested Aziz Ibrahim a couple of times in the TPS YouTube comments. He is a gigrig customer, not a bluesweebler and would have something different to say about effects. Maybe it's not that simple but they've had years to get him. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 7263
    Aziz would be a great shout. Brilliant player, really nice guy and no ego
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Daft hair but a decent guitar player and seems a nice bloke. Just one question... am I supposed to know who he is? 
    You won't know him outside of Youtube videos, his band isn't famous or anything.

I found out about him from a thread on here recently where he plays Bernie Marsden's guitar.

There seems to be a lot of crossovers from Youtube channels, appearing on each others' channels. I guess it's with the idea of gaining more subscribers from that person's following. Fine by me really; unless it's a player I personally like and listen to the music of then it makes no difference to me if they're a nobody with a Youtube channel or from a famous band I don't listen to.

Reminds me of how Celebrity Big Brother used to be like a snooker player from the 90s, a popstar from the 80s, some minor soap star etc. but these days it seems to just be someone from each of all the other "reality" shows like a yearly compilation. "Now That's What I Call Idiocy"
  • thegummy said:
    You  won't know him outside of Youtube videos, his band isn't famous or anything.
    He’s been featured in guitar mags, won Best New Guitarist in Total Guitar, has played with Slash and is endorsed by Blackstar.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 1574
    Not a bad episode.   I like it more when Mick leads the discussion- you can he’s used to interviewing people.    
    Interesting to see how he uses the gain pedals and compare them.  He can definitely play, not my thing but I can see why fans of the John Mayer clean/low gain style would like it. 
    thegummy said:
    You  won't know him outside of Youtube videos, his band isn't famous or anything.
    He’s been featured in guitar mags, won Best New Guitarist in Total Guitar, has played with Slash and is endorsed by Blackstar.
    Is that all from his YouTube stuff or has he been in more well known bands previously?
  • Hey guys. A mate just sent me a link to this so I thought I'd chip in to answer some questions :) 

No, not famous by any stretch. My Nan still forgets my name on occasion! Just a guitar player in a band with a YouTube channel that I started uploading to regularly because I wanted to buy a new MacBook but couldn't justify it unless it was bought with money made from the video stuff I'd be using for! haha. Joking aside, the videos I upload - Friday Fretworks - have taken off a bit and have started gathering traction recently for some reason. It is what it is though; I wouldn't consider myself a YouTuber by any stretch. I'm a musician that's been gigging since I was 13 in anywhere from the Dog & Duck to arenas as part of Slash's band. I teach, I write for Guitar Magazines, I do stuff for LickLibrary, I make YouTube videos, I do demos for companies, I play in a touring band, I do session stuff... all to try and make a living from music! It's a funny ol' game these days...

In regard to Buck & Evans, I totally get why some people don't get it. I'll be honest, I'm still sceptical of the whole thing myself! It came off the back of a one off gig I did with Sally Ann (singer) which led to a rave review, which led to a 3 track EP, which led to playing in the US which led to Radio 2 liking us which led to big festivals which led to label interest which led to...etc etc. It's a fu*king weird mix of guys I can appreciate but it's one of those things that keeps gathering traction with very little effort really. We're just on the verge of releasing an album which is very different to the existing stuff available, which was us kinda publicly finding our feet. The new stuff is much less blues rock orientated. I'll post some stuff when I can :) 

But yeah, there we are. Nobody famous, just a lad from Wales who needs a haircut and to spend less time fiddling with overdrive pedals and more time practicing :) 

Cheers!  =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9191
    @ChrisBuckGuitar ;

Welcome! No offence meant by my not already knowing you - I live in the Middle East so am often a little out of the loop.. 

I honestly haven’t heard of you guys until this TPS but will certainly look you up. 

And i I do admire your approach to pedals, which seems to be mostly “o can’t decide between the Klon, KTR, KoT, Amp 11 and B.B., so I’ll have all of them”, which is rather impressive :D 
    @ChrisBuckGuitar ;

I enjoy your playing, particularly your feel. Your right hand has an amazing touch in the way it sounds a note.

You also come across as a decent and aware guy and that's important in life so just keep on keeping on what you are doing mate.
    No sucking up here, I appreciate talent when I see and hear it and always encourage it. Peace.