Guitar wraps or skins - good or not?

Having quite surprisingly managed to get a guitar up and running again that I didn't think I'd be able to do, I thought of giving it a make over and looking at those plastic wrap skin things.

It's a resoglass (fibreglass) Airline Map style body in two parts, ie it's hollow and you stick the front half of the shell to back part and off you go. Which I thought might lend itself to the wrapping idea as I think that should be easier to do each half then stick together. Plus with the colour I'd like to change it to, it would allow me to use some left over black binding to stick over the join rather than trying to reapply the original white one which would involve buying new sticky stuff.

It's currently red, but I quite fancy it in bright yellow. I've a lovely white Jetsons style one that Wez made for me, but I've also a slightly less nice red Jetsons one which is the same colour as this Map one. And we all like variety don't we.

So are the wraps any good? Easy to apply? Will it completely cover the red underneath? 

I suppose I should really do some googling as to whether anybody even sells plain bright yellow ones..

I'll also need a pick guard for it which could be more tricky but I'll cross that bridge when I am brave enough

Thanks all
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    i'm not crazy about the whole idea of wrapping. i know some posh brands dabble successfuly, but the concept reminds me of those plastic coke bottles with the heatshrunk-to-fit wrappers. not very organic or natural. but then on a resoglas guitar maybe that would be entirely right and in keeping. that flashy trashy pop-art kitsch thing is the whole thing.

but beyond the idea, how do they wear? and what if you get a bubble/fluff/grit etc?

pro manufacturers have vacuum gear etc to get it right repeatedly, but for the amateur modder it seems an open invitation to screw up. i have covered a thousand books with clear film in my academic history and every single one seemed to end up with a hair or bubble or fluff trapped in it for posterity. and i was usually trying to be as careful as poss.

sites promoting wraps hardest seem to be appealing primarily to the beavis and butthead teen metalhead demographic. so skulls and dope leaves. which makes me feel they might be the e-cigarettes of guitar finishes.
    but then i'm late thirties, so maybe i'm just bitter and twisted that only saga and stannah consider me a target market anymore.

but will watch this thread with interest and wish you luck. you're brave to try it.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I'm working on a bass which has a wrap/overlay.