So then, all this nasty negativity ...

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27447
I realise that I've not been around recently quite as much as previously - some of you may have noticed that - but I've not been completely disconnected and have kept an eye on things from a quieter and more distant perspective.

Having jumped back in slightly more actively in the last couple of days, I've noticed a lot of comments about "negativity" in threads here.  People commenting on all the complaining and nastiness.  About how it's all moaning and negativity.  Those comments are popping up in otherwise completely normal threads.  Or even as part of the introduction of  new threads .  There are unrelated comments about "all the negativity here".

Errr, what have I been missing?

I see lots of complaining about negativity, but it's the complaining about the negativity that seems to be the most negative aspect about the place.

I don't see a lot of posts getting flagged for any reason.  Indeed, the absence of flags is why I've felt able to stay disconnected for so long - the place has appeared to be running fine.  If there's inappropriate/nasty/insulting stuff happening, then it gets flagged and the admins sort it.  Complaining about it - in completely unrelated threads - just gives it more air time and - seems to me - becomes self-fulfilling.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that we make this forum a "safe place" that tolerates no debate or divergence of opinion, so I'm not suggesting that debate/argument/discussion is going to be stifled - but it will be kept civil.

What I do see is a lot of positivity  and a lot of people  getting a lot of satisfaction and pleasure out of actually playing their guitars, (who'd have thought!).  Read this?  Having spoken to @Bridgehouse this morning, I'm looking forward to many more of these events, and many more people being able to get involved in them.

I also see a lot of people (though there's still plenty of room for others to join in) making very explicit  contributions of positive support for the forum.    Perhaps a few more people would like to be similarly positive?
;)

If everyone complains about it being negative, it will be so.  You'll make it so.  

I'd rather there was a lot more focus and celebration - and participation - in the more positive aspects.  You can make that happen too.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 23reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Likewise, I’ve seen more talk of negativity, than actual negativity. Self fulfilling prophecy, anyone?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I have just posted a “Fretboard Jams - The Future” thread in Guitar - so if anyone wants to practice this odd thing called positivity then do pop over and have a go ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I'm on here 24/7.... Well it feels like I am anyway. I've just seen someone leave the forum due to comments made...it's definitely been worse than it is now though...just like being in a pub or at work........People you get on with, people you don't 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Well said @TTony. I found Music Radar shortly before it closed and then the fretboard. There is so much knowledge to be had here, so many ideas for building and repairing and some nice people to buy and sell from. Some threads turn negative or into a row, ignore them, enjoy the many many positive aspects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Apart from the huge amount of knowledge on this forum, folk need to take advantage of the jams, enter into the “of the month” music comps, have a look at the music challenges etc...

sooooo much more to this forum than just posts about guitars!!!!...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135178/the-fretboard-cover-challenge-1/p1

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/137065/mixing-challenge-no2#latest

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/136935/solo-of-the-month-sotm-39-chat#latest

Have a crack at some of those!!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    I've not been on that much for a couple months due to having to do some work (I know, it's shocking have to actually work!), and going by some of the comments I've seen, I had been wondering if there had been more handbags being thrown. But I've since realised it's just people still moaning about the previous episode.

Hopefully I'll have some time in a few weeks to resurrect some projects, as I've still got a switcher to build.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited August 2018
    A timely sentiment @TTony - exactly what I was driving at in my comment in the ‘donations’ thread. Shame you weren’t at Huddersfield - I was only there on the Sunday - but the buzz from the night before could be felt in the air.

Even though I missed the main event, the welcome I got was lovely - definitely time to stop moaning....
    A timely sentiment @TTony - exactly what I was driving at in my comment in the ‘donations’ thread. Shame you weren’t at Huddersfield - I was only there on the Sunday - but the buzz from the night before could be felt in the air.

Even though I missed the main event, the welcome I got was lovely - definitely time to stop moaning....
    I hope you stop over next time Richard - would be great to have you up on stage rocking those licks out 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Agreed - I find very little real negativity on this forum. Sure, there are occasional threads where people flare up and shot are fired, but they are relatively few and far between. Compared to a lot of other fora this place is like a nuns' chat group.
    Agreed - I find very little real negativity on this forum. Sure, there are occasional threads where people flare up and shot are fired, but they are relatively few and far between. Compared to a lot of other fora this place is like a nuns' chat group.
    Get stuffed bum face!

:D
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was well surprised at the amount of "this place is negative etcetc" comments in the p90/Humbucker convertion thread, none of which i could relate to and i am on here a LOT...dont get it, dont get what all the moaners about the moaning are on about..

Place seems relaxed and going well IMO. Seems some folk like to virtue signal IMO and jump on anything deemed arguemantative..if something has an opinion about something then whats the problem, if someone finds another annoying and up themselves (sic) thenso be it.

I fail to see how a load of members jumping on it and whinging is anything apart from a bunch of members whinging.

FB is a good spot for many
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    I don't see many negative threads these days.
    I think we've found some sort of equilibrium.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9525
    edited August 2018
    tone1 said:
    I'm on here 24/7.... Well it feels like I am anyway. I've just seen someone leave the forum due to comments made...it's definitely been worse than it is now though...just like being in a pub or at work........People you get on with, people you don't 
    Likewise, 24/7 for me...

I have def seen it worse on here, and I dont personally feel its been negative of late.

Except that, I’ve felt quite negative about my fuck-eyed amps keep failing when Im playing live...
  • I'd say things have improved hugely in the last couple of months, which I'm glad about. 

Currently riding a wave of post jam positivity as well, which helps a lot :) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    edited August 2018
    Get stuffed bum face!

D
    Nicest thing anyone has said to me for a long time!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27447
    So, sounds like all the negativity is mainly in the post complaining about all the negativity.

Elsewhere all's good.

Splendid.

I can bugger off again then
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    So, sounds like all the negativity is mainly in the post complaining about all the negativity.

Elsewhere all's good.

Splendid.

I can bugger off again then
    Not before you've got your name down for the Jams chap.. or I'll be hounding you..!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12360
    edited August 2018
    Haven't noticed much negative stuff really, apart from the spat in the Les Paul refinish thread. I think this place is usually so well behaved that any handbags at dawn shenanigans comes across as more arsey than it really is.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    I'd say things have improved hugely in the last couple of months, which I'm glad about. 

Yes it’s been fine since the DS/TT mega-flounce :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited August 2018
    I think that even at peak negativity in the past the majority of what has been posted here has been pretty benign. If you take personal offence at something posted or seek these things out then that's how you'll view it.
    I'm on a Facebook group with 30000 members where questions regularly get 200 responses. There will be a couple of joke replies and and sometimes an unpleasant response. Most people seem to understand that's how these things go but you will get those who go into absolute outrage - which is not only disproportionate but ignored the 197 people who've attempted to give useful answers. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.