Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Boromedic said:
    So you won't do that? ;)
    Only for money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    :) Hahaha, same here.....!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    TADodger said:
    How does @Alnico's broadly outlined plan fit into this, or will it be separated please?
    Totally separate and completely @Alnico ‘s thing and not part of the official FB jams - though it will be a valuable extension for people participating in both (like me!) 

If @Alnico wants to make it official with Tony et al then that’s his call - he may want to keep it his own thing and separate though and that’s again entirely his call
    Ok, thanks @Bridgehouse. I’m in for Quad in November initially please - if there is still places.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited August 2018
    TADodger said:
    How does @Alnico's broadly outlined plan fit into this, or will it be separated please?
    Totally separate and completely @Alnico ‘s thing and not part of the official FB jams - though it will be a valuable extension for people participating in both (like me!) 

If @Alnico wants to make it official with Tony et al then that’s his call - he may want to keep it his own thing and separate though and that’s again entirely his call
    At the moment all I have is an idea and a rough plan. 
    Early next month I'll sit down face to face with @Bridgehouse and draw up a proper plan and work from there.

This is a whole new facet and not one that can run exactly on the same principles that the Jams run on. There'll be a lot more work and some cost so we need to work this out to be viable.

As for whether or not this becomes official, well I'd like to get a handful of sessions successfully done with something to show for it before its seen in any way like the success that the Jams now have. That's taken a lot of refinement and hard work to get that to the stage it's at now. I'm expecting to have the same journey myself.

I said right at the start that this would not be a quick project and it could easily run across the next 12 months and probably will. 

If by next easter there's some success and also IF it seems like this IS benefiting the people involved and IF it seems it will benefit the community to "Do something with this..." then sure, we can all sit down again and make it more official. 
    I've learned only too well that shouting about what you're "Going to do" is never as good as saying "Here's what I've DONE!".

In the meantime it's my project and I'll be asking interested parties to join me on certain dates and see what we can do with it.
    It won't have it's own thread for another month or so and when it does its going to be made clear that it's an experiment. 

If the results come out really good, I feel sure that "More" will be done with not only what we produce but also the idea/model/format.

There are 10 people interested so far.
    Each time we work on a track it'll be a max of around 6 people each time and they'll commit to that track as if they're a temporary band.

Initially those numbers don't really matter because this may generate a lot more interest when the first track is recorded, mixed ad released here for people to listen to.

Again this may be the point where after just one or two tracks the format/model proves itself to work.
    It may take longer.

It may also go absolutely no where and become one of those good ideas that was impractical in reality.

That's what I and a few others are working on this month and next month to make sure that from what we can see now,  it looks do-able. 

Initially there's no reason to think it can't work and so far pitfalls have seem more like potholes so it doesn't look bad and I can't initially see why it won't work but there's a lot to talk about and try to plan for.

When this is about proper plan it'll have it's own thread and when this has something to show for itself, further down the line, maybe there's something it can do for TFB in a positive way. At THAT point then yes, obviously I would involve @TTony and make this more official.

In the meantime it's an unofficial,  not-bad-idea but one that could work and work well for all involved.

Does that make things a bit clearer for everyone ?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6775
    @alnico - I’d be happy to drum on some of the tracks if you need a drummer (and the track is within my playing ability- I’ve proved I can’t play Ace of Spades!), and I can make the dates work. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    @alnico - I’d be happy to drum on some of the tracks if you need a drummer (and the track is within my playing ability- I’ve proved I can’t play Ace of Spades!), and I can make the dates work. 
    Think of this as little more regimented.
    So if you want to play on a certain track, that will be yours to drum on and rather than asking you to "Help out" with drums, it'd be your song to BE the drummer on.

The whole point of my idea is to go deeper, focus on the song more, take time throughout the day/days to iron out mistakes, try again, record in separate parts or live, whatever.

So on the day, you'd have been practicing 1 song, you turn up with around 5 (ish) other people and our goal is to record that song the very best we can.

The next session will be different people and a different song. You may or may not be the drummer on that one, depends on how you feel about that and how many drummers we have that want to do it or could do it.

Same applies for every part of 'The Band' so each session is fewer people, all more focussed and coming out of it with a much more detailed and refined recording.

At the moment I'm chatting on PM with a people and keeping a list. That's it so far.
    The other thing worth mentioning is that the dates can be a little more flexible too as we're only trying to correlate 5 or 6 people and there's no time limit on this, let it take its time and not hassle people.

From a purely practical point of view, each session will not be too close to Jam sessions dates so we don't get a clash.
    Although this is unofficial at the moment and we're going to "See how this goes", I will be working closely with @Bridgehouse on the dates aspect and also, Mark will be at each session giving us his knowledge and experience with recording and production and playing Bass on whatever tracks need his playing skills.

As with anything this will need to be tried, determined and adjusted to suit and there may well be problems we haven't seen yet that need to be overcome.
    The success of the Jams is down to the experience those people organising it has been through and refined the format into. This idea is right at the start of that journey and prone to all the same potential issues.

To return to your post @mrkb and answer your kind offer, Yes that would be great and we'd all love to have you drum on a track or two (Or maybe 6).
    I guess the bigger question is, "What would you like to play the drums on?"

If anyone who is genuinely interested could PM me and also include 5 songs that you already play well or could realistically learn in the next few months. We want to start off playing to whatever strengths we have and a simple song played well is better than an overly complex song played badly.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    fandango said:
    Am looking around the West Midlands/Worcestershire/Gloucestershire area. Taking advantage of the M5 and A40 corridors. And provide a counterpoint to Huddersfield, Leicester and Woking.

Found a chain of studios called Pirate Studioshttps://www.piratestudios.co.uk. Anyone any experience with these? They have studios in Cheltenham (to west of town centre) and Birmingham (Bordesley district not far from Moor Street Station). Not sure what they're like, but the photos on the web site makes them look clean. 7 (seven) rooms at Cheltenham, and 19 (nineteen) at Birmingham.

I'll keep looking for others that might appeal.

I'd be up for helping with one around the Glos area if that was convenient (I'm in Stroud). Pirate Studios is supposed to be very good; they basically have all the gear, and you get a code to use the studio for a certain amount of time. I haven't actually used it though. 

Cheltenham also has Two Rivers Studios - if you were looking in this area it's the most suitable place I can think of - it's rehearsal rooms plus a large room which doubles as a gig venue (easily room for 20 people and a lot more), plenty of parking, has a bar too. And I know the owner, he may well be up for this sort of thing given enough notice (although I don't know how much it'd be to hire). It's a 5-10 minute drive from the town centre. I also know a couple of excellent drummers (one is a ridiculously good metal drummer who may be persuaded, the other is a very good all-round guy).

There are a few other rehearsal rooms around the area but they are mostly fairly crappy...pretty sure I've been to most of them having lived around here most of my life :) There's bound to be some generic venues you can hire for the day too. Plus World Guitars is nearby and always worth a visit :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6775
    I held the Northampton Jam in two rehearsal room - large one used for performances was 5m x 7m, other room was slightly smaller, with a small breakout area between them -Worked for 15 people, but any more would have been a struggle. Being in the performance room when you aren’t performing can be an issue as it’s loud and you can’t practice/jam with others.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Route66Route66 Frets: 12
    As an aside - the Jams are a good place to come along and bring some kit that you want to hear at VOLUME - you don't have to sign up to the official setlist jam - you can just come and make a massive noise in a room for a bit
    Did you hear that? Sorry the triple breakfast wasn't sitting well...
    Ha thats exactly what I did. Plugged in my Telecaster to get a feel of it as Ive not had the opportunity living in a 2nd floor flat. Was great too to see all levels getting involved. Fab! 
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @Alnico - I am interested in participating in your experiment/initiative
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Alnico said:

The whole point of my idea is to go deeper, focus on the song more, take time throughout the day/days to iron out mistakes, try again, record in separate parts or live, whatever.

So on the day, you'd have been practicing 1 song, you turn up with around 5 (ish) other people and our goal is to record that song the very best we can.
    Wow, all a bit intense for me but I'll look forward to hearing the results :)

Not a Fretboard jam or a Fretboard gig, but a fretboard studio recording, it is a good idea.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I may be able to get a venue in Horsham for an alternate southern jam. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Fez said:
    That might just work well - close enough to Kent and the east part of the south coast...
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Alnico said:

Not a Fretboard jam or a Fretboard gig, but a fretboard studio recording, it is a good idea.
    great way to learn too. Doing it with one of my students at the moment - recording guitar parts to a backing track and he's really enjoying it (I think!!).
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    I am definitely interested in a southern Jam, and @Alnico's proposal. 

Have also played in Pirate studios (Earlsfield) and they are pretty small 6 people absolute max.
    OK, it looks like we may be able to get 2 southern jams in - a Woking one which @poopot is close to confirming for April, and one nearer Kent/East side of London - for those right down that there way.. I suspect July/August is the best gap for it, but it's holiday season, so maybe we should do it May/June as long as it doesn't clash with Quad in June (I can do that Late June)
    And as an aside - there's now only two "main jam" slots left in each of Quad in Nov and Huddersfield in Feb - get in quick if you want a playing slot in the main jam!

(which is awesome BTW - both are already viable and enough interest to run - which given it's less than 24 hours since launch I'm stoked - and it just shows how positive this place is)

Plenty of "other" slots though for jamming and gear chat - and if anyone drops out then you'll get a reserve position to jump in!
    Fez said:
    @Blackjack - have a chat to @Fez and let me know what you guys think - this could be a good starting point 
    Tone71 said:
    I am definitely interested in a southern Jam, and @Alnico's proposal. 

Have also played in Pirate studios (Earlsfield) and they are pretty small 6 people absolute max.
    There aren't any details to post as such yet but I'll pop your name on the list and include you, thanks for your interest man.

Alnico said:

I'm actually very glad you mentioned this Ed, it's a good point to make.

There will be those who this is too intensive for and that's totally cool. What I'm looking for are those who *want* to go a few steps further and get more intensive with the songs. There may be room for some creative licence with *some* songs and the right people will be the ones who naturally veer towards that creative side. We're looking for excellence in our own right, not strictly a sound-for-sound, note-for-note reproduction.

It is a lot of work and the day will be *very* different from the Jams but to those this appeals to, you already know that and if you don't but you know this is your thing you'll get that and be cool with whatever the day(s) hold.

Having said that, I still must push the point that your *skill* level is not important here. I want this open to everyone as is the ethos with the Jams. What's important is how far you want to take your part in music and how interested you are in refining something like a Jam session song until it's as good as it can be.
    So far we have a few players who are either beginners or people who are only just finding their feet. If all you play is a single note style line that enhances the song, as long as you study it and get it as good as it can be that's all I ask of you. I can't stress this enough, we'll be looking for your strengths and playing to them.
    'Michael rowed the boat ashore' done really well will always be better than 'For the love of God' played not so well.
    Keep that as a mantra for this.

Thanks again you lot for the interest in this project so far.
    No more session slots in Huddersfield and only 2 in Leicester left!

Plenty of 'other' slots tho..