Fretboard Jams - Announcements!

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    slacker said:
    Regarding the future of these jams, I'm in full support even though I will not be coming to the next two (and cancelled the last due to unforseen circumstances). Here's why...

I've been to Quad and Water Rats and between the two of them have given me a lot of confidence as someone who gigged years ago and 'retired' and also given me the confidence to actually start my own band in September. 

For me that's what it's about, taking someone with confidence issues and enabling them to move on with music and/or encourage others. 

So I'll probably be up for a Northampton jam maybe and when my band is off the ground look to help host a jam in Luton/Bedford/St Albans if anyone is interested. 

So to end something I usually dont do, a big thanks to 

@TTony ; @bridgehouse @horse @octatonic @poopot @drumswithpoopot ; @impmann @brocco @munckee @peteri ;and @bigjon for support and encouragement 

@mrkb and @darthed1981 for being ultimate examples of how these events can kickstart you into being absolute legends. 

and @ anyone I forgot. 

Chris 

Thanks for the kind words @slacker will be a pleasure to see you again whenever our paths next cross! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    Snags said:
    If anyone's interested in a "just north of London so nobody loves me" jam, I'd be happy to do the legwork with a studio local to me (four rehearsal rooms and various other facilities).  I also know where the good boozers are.

However, at the moment it looks like my patch is too far south for the north, too far north for the south, and definitely not the midlands :)
    If that’s north of the M25, I’d be interested - that’s about an hours drive for me. Happy to drum if necessary as long as it’s not too complex/fast.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1

slacker said:
    Regarding the future of these jams, I'm in full support even though I will not be coming to the next two (and cancelled the last due to unforseen circumstances). Here's why...

I've been to Quad and Water Rats and between the two of them have given me a lot of confidence as someone who gigged years ago and 'retired' and also given me the confidence to actually start my own band in September. 

For me that's what it's about, taking someone with confidence issues and enabling them to move on with music and/or encourage others. 

So I'll probably be up for a Northampton jam maybe and when my band is off the ground look to help host a jam in Luton/Bedford/St Albans if anyone is interested. 

So to end something I usually dont do, a big thanks to 

@TTony ; @bridgehouse @horse @octatonic @poopot @drumswithpoopot ; @impmann @brocco @munckee @peteri ;and @bigjon for support and encouragement 

@mrkb and @darthed1981 for being ultimate examples of how these events can kickstart you into being absolute legends. 

and @ anyone I forgot. 

Chris 

That’s good to hear it’s launched you into getting a band together Chris. Good luck, and hope you can still jam with us in future.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    Chris: keep us posted on your band! It has been great getting to know you, and I truly appreciate the help and support you have given me (playing your Klon was something to behold!). Will look you up when next heading to Coda. Take care.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    mrkb said:
    Snags said:
    If anyone's interested in a "just north of London so nobody loves me" jam, I'd be happy to do the legwork with a studio local to me (four rehearsal rooms and various other facilities).  I also know where the good boozers are.

However, at the moment it looks like my patch is too far south for the north, too far north for the south, and definitely not the midlands :)
    If that’s north of the M25, I’d be interested - that’s about an hours drive for me. Happy to drum if necessary as long as it’s not too complex/fast.

Yup - Hertford, so pretty much due north of the M25, just bang up the A10.  I probably couldn't (shouldn't) pull off a "large" jam until after Hudd next year, given I'm committed to Nov & Feb already, but if there were just a few of us that wanted to meet up for a few hours, or to run through stuff in prep for the other project, I could certainly sort out a "scoping" mission as a tester :)

The local place is River City (slow site, but reasonably helpful once it loads).  There's an outside chance I might know someone who knows someone - I'm not probably plugged into the local scene, but am friends with a few people who are (and may get more so soon). Will start asking around, and if people are into the idea I'm happy to start planning something for post-Quad so it's in the diary?
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Snags said:
    mrkb said:
    Snags said:

Yup - Hertford, so pretty much due north of the M25, just bang up the A10.  I probably couldn't (shouldn't) pull off a "large" jam until after Hudd next year, given I'm committed to Nov & Feb already, but if there were just a few of us that wanted to meet up for a few hours, or to run through stuff in prep for the other project, I could certainly sort out a "scoping" mission as a tester :)

The local place is River City (slow site, but reasonably helpful once it loads).  There's an outside chance I might know someone who knows someone - I'm not probably plugged into the local scene, but am friends with a few people who are (and may get more so soon). Will start asking around, and if people are into the idea I'm happy to start planning something for post-Quad so it's in the diary?
    Absolutely up for an informal run through, or fun show and tell session?
    Snags said:

Looks OK. If you want to do a pre-Leicester run through of songs (either a Sat or Sunday in October) I’d  be up for that. Can sing or drum if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    I'll make some calls.  Would definitely have to be October for me, well committed before then, and once we hit November I'll be on thin ice at home with Quad coming up anyway :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Southern Jam 13th April 2019 (Woking) is now launched in events - limited to 20 for the session playing and 10 "others" slots!
    So, that's 3 launched - 2 are full!

Once I get some details firmed up for others then I will launch them too - exciting!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Alnico said:
    For Bedford Jams, head to 'Sound-Arc' studios in Shefford.
    Pretty sure it's John who runs that place and they're good.
    It's opposite Morrisons, on the industrial estate.
    I've seen the website. There's not a lot going on in Luton since Greenback closed/closing. I'll have a look. Thanks 
    munckee said:
    I am surprised to hear you felt you were lacking a bit of confidence. That run through of comfy in the jam room was the first time I ever played with anybody else, you played bass on that then next thing were playing slide guitar on learning to fly then singing.  I thought you were great.
    Thanks, I was quite overwhelmed by the day and hid it. I've told you before you were great and I didnt know it was your first time out. Carry on playing and jamming.  
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    slacker said:
    munckee said:
    I am surprised to hear you felt you were lacking a bit of confidence. That run through of comfy in the jam room was the first time I ever played with anybody else, you played bass on that then next thing were playing slide guitar on learning to fly then singing.  I thought you were great.
    Thanks, I was quite overwhelmed by the day and hid it. I've told you before you were great and I didnt know it was your first time out. Carry on playing and jamming.  
    I'm signing up to everything I can, my plan is to move up to playing a solo this time rather than just rhythym.  I'd like to get to singing at one of them. I'm taking my daughter to quad though and she is only going if I don't sing so that may be a sign!
    mrkb said:
    That’s good to hear it’s launched you into getting a band together Chris. Good luck, and hope you can still jam with us in future.

slacker said:

I've been to Quad and Water Rats and between thThanks for the kind words @slacker will be a pleasure to see you again whenever our paths next cross!
    I'm looking at the Hertford subjam depending on holidays and I'll keep an eye out for a Northampton one. 

Also I'll be looking at a a mini jam gig in the future where we  use my fledgling band as a base and add a number of people from Fretboard, rehearse in the day and do a gig in the evening. If we use the 'standards' from the jams it should be a goer. We'll see. I'll post something next year (maybe). 
    slacker said:
    munckee said:
    Surprised you were overwhelmed - you seemed very comfortable and did a great job on all songs.

TBH I find them overwhelming for a totally different reason - takes me a week to recover from running them!
    slacker said:
    munckee said:
    Surprised you were overwhelmed - you seemed very comfortable and did a great job on all songs.

TBH I find them overwhelming for a totally different reason - takes me a week to recover from running them!
    I suffer from serious nerves out of my comfort zone (playing acoustic) and I also hide them (over compensated in American Woman). 
    slacker said:
    slacker said:
    munckee said:

I suffer from serious nerves out of my comfort zone (playing acoustic) and I also hide them (over compensated in American Woman). 
    Good hiding skills!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Southern Jam 13th April 2019 (Woking) is now launched in events - limited to 20 for the session playing and 10 "others" slots!
    We talked about this last night and decided we won't go to Woking next year.
    We want to do Sasquatch in Feb and then the Summertime/Autumn sessions at Quad and Sasquatch and there's only so much we can afford and ask of our 16 year old car.
    slacker said:
    slacker said:
    munckee said:

Good hiding skills!
    Thanks. 20 years ago I played with someone who called me Mr Wing It. I think it's part of playing live. I think that most of us get down on our abilities, over analyse it, play a what we think is mediocre gig and people love it. 

@slacker - I have no confidence in my bass playing at all. Pretty much all the time I’d say I feel like I’m winging it and just about getting away with it. 

Every time I watch a video or hear someone playing live I cringe and think I’m far worse. I try to tell myself I’ve worked hard on technique and tone to get some elements of it right but at the end of the day I still come away feeling like I’m the weak link..