Fretboard Jams - Announcements!

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
edited August 2018 in Guitar
I've had a few conversations with @TTony and some of the regulars and we now have the semblance of a plan for the future for Jams. There's a planning session booked in for late September to discuss finer details and suchlike for song choice, equipment etc. with some of the core regulars, and I'll update you all after that.

In essence, The Plan will broadly be along the following lines.

- 2 sessions in Huddersfield per year at @Sasquatch_Bob 's awesome venue. This will include recording, a stopover and a gig for each one. Helped by the lovely @Legionreturns ;;

- 2 sessions at Quad a year which will be a day long standard jam - we may record it but the emphasis here will be new players and playing together rather than recording. Helped by the lovely (I hope!) @markblagdon ;;

- 2 "other" Jams. Nominally one will be a South jam, and if @poopot is up for it then a revisit to Water Rats, and the other will be a TBC (more below)

At the moment, I'm thinking that the schedule will be:

November - Quad
Feb - Huddersfield
April - South
June - Quad
September - Huddersfield

With the "Other" fitting in somewhere depending on who/where etc.

The South and Other Jams may be stopover or may be one day - and may have a gig or may not - it depends on the help that I get.

For the Other Jam - I would love to do one either West/Midlands/M5 corridor, or Scotland (or both!!) - but - I need a local organiser and without this, it won't happen - if you want to do this, please PM me and we can discuss. 

We have decided to up the frequency for one main reason - I will be limiting the number of recording/playing Jammers to 20 per session. Experience has shown that this is the ideal number to make sure everyone gets a go and it's not too regimented but is smooth and relaxed. We can have others along to informally jam, watch, chat, share instruments etc. but the "main" session will be limited to 20. (That's 20 without organisers, so more like 25 in reality). This means if you are a player at one of the 2-a-year venue sessions then you may not get priority at the other - but there will be some overlap - and I'm keeping a few slots back for a core of regulars who can help me to carry through the days with their playing and jam experience (you know who you are!) 

For each session, we will book a Pro Drummer - it will mean the cost may go up by a few pounds (or actually, in reality, it probably won't depending on venue costs) - players can of course drum on anything they like - but having a pro drummer is really beneficial. There won't be a pro bass player - it will be me, and anyone else that wants to have a go - but nominally I will fill all bass slots when needed. 

We have also discussed other instruments. I'm going to start introducing harmonica and mandolin to widen our song choices - I'd love people to volunteer Keys or any other instrument they like - please let me know!

We will also expand the song list and try to get a bit more proactive about it so there's more choice and more opportunity for different tastes to be accommodated - I'm going to be putting a particular emphasis on this (as well as the good old favourites of course!) 

Of course, if you want to set up a local jam, publicise it here etc. then please do - and please PM me and I'll give you all the help I can - these are the official Fretboard organised ones only. 

Comments are of course very welcome - but given the time that goes in to doing this, we think this is the best way for it to work, so the broad format and number of sessions is as is. 
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    :+1: 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited August 2018
    I’m up for it... and I’m sure @drumswithpoopot could be persuaded again...

Also, could prolly persuade @fartsoutvocalswithpoopot to sing to take the pressure off of folk if needed!...

and im guessing @bill_the_bass will turn up anyway as it’s good for him to mix with the wider community!...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    poopot said:
    Good man! I’ll get your name on the schedule ;) April sound ok to you?
  • I'm equally certain that, shift permitting, @differs would love to drum for us again. Obviously we have potentially Matt as well, so I don't think we'll struggle for thump monkeys in Huddersfield. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I'm equally certain that, shift permitting, @differs would love to drum for us again. Obviously we have potentially Matt as well, so I don't think we'll struggle for thump monkeys in Huddersfield. 
    Agreed! Exciting!
    edited August 2018
    poopot said:
    Good man! I’ll get your name on the schedule April sound ok to you?
    Don’t see why not... it’s easier to get waterrats during school holibobs as they have regular weekend booking during term times!... so that needs to be considered.
    edited August 2018
    poopot said:
    poopot said:
    Don’t see why not... it’s easier to get waterrats during school holibobs as they have regular weekend booking during term times!...
    Interesting - maybe we should get booked in then - could you find out some potential dates in April?
    poopot said:
    poopot said:
    Don’t see why not... it’s easier to get waterrats during school holibobs as they have regular weekend booking during term times!...
    Interesting - maybe we should get booked in then - could you find out some potential dates in April?
    Will email now!.
    poopot said:
    poopot said:
    poopot said:
    Will email now!.
    :+1: 
    @Sasquatch_Bob  - could we book a Feb weekend at your lovely establishment.. pleeeeease?

@Legionreturns - Feb ok for you?
  • If, and I know that's a big if...gigs are going to be bolted on to other jams, there are LOTS of things that will need to be considered. 

Obviously having organised the inaugural tFB gig I'd be happy to go through it all, or, if I'm free I might be able to come and supply my rig. (For those that weren't there, we used my YBTB PA, mics and monitor etc, which meant no PA hire). 

• @Sasquatch_Bob  - could we book a Feb weekend at your lovely establishment.. pleeeeease?

I've got a YBTB booking on the 2nd Feb but any other weekend is good at this stage. Be aware that there's a half term in there somewhere 

@Sasquatch_Bob  - could we book a Feb weekend at your lovely establishment.. pleeeeease?

I've got a YBTB booking on the 2nd Feb but any other weekend is good at this stage. Be aware that there's a half term in there somewhere 
    Yes I’d rather avoid half term. 

If, and I know that's a big if...gigs are going to be bolted on to other jams, there are LOTS of things that will need to be considered. 

Obviously having organised the inaugural tFB gig I'd be happy to go through it all, or, if I'm free I might be able to come and supply my rig. (For those that weren't there, we used my YBTB PA, mics and monitor etc, which meant no PA hire). 
    Agreed - let’s see if anyone comes forward, if not the gigs may be Huddersfield only and fretboarders wanting to gig will have to make the pilgrimage..
    Right @bill_the_bass is deffo up for it... @drumswithpoopot is away and will revert back ASAP!...
    have emailed kim re dates... will look into the posibility of a venue for a gig... 
    poopot said:
    Right @bill_the_bass is deffo up for it... @drumswithpoopot is away and will revert back ASAP!...
    have emailed kim re dates... will look into the posibility of a venue for a gig... 
    Good man! @Legionreturns will fill you in on the gig logistics requirements
    poopot said:
    We have PA and back line anyway... could possibly even tie it in with one of our own gigs as a little support slot!... will see what transpires.
    poopot said:
    poopot said:
    We have PA and back line anyway... could possibly even tie it in with one of our own gigs as a little support slot!... will see what transpires.
    We did an open mic bit and then about 12 numbers on the night. Worked very well
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    poopot said:
    poopot said:
    That might work well @poopot.

Worth bearing in mind though, that if there's an evening gig, then people would like-as-not need to stay overnight.  

That adds to their cost, and sort of suggests that there should be some sort of continuation of the jam session on the Sunday morning/afternoon ...

?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    @TTony - yes, we did continue on the Sunday, although it was quite a lazy affair due to *ahem* some possible drinking the night before...