2014 gibson lpj or upgraded epi lp??

What's Hot
I have enough dough to buy a 2014 les Paul junior (faded finish, satin hardware etc) which I played today and liked it but couldn't get over its lack of weight!!

Or I have seen an epiphone les Paul plus top with slash pickups and hiscox case for a lot less money!! I haven't played this one!!

Any recommendations??

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Try out the Epi and see what it's like if you can.

I can also recommend the Epi LP 60s Tribute Plus - full on mahogany and maple top, '57 Classic pups, straplocks, locking tuners and a case for well under £500. Excellent guitar and very weighty.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The Gibson, it sounds shallow but it's a Gibson. By that I mean if you ever want to move it then you will get decent money for it. If you're going EpI the the tribute PLUS is a lot of guitar for the money. But honestly I'd go 2013 LPJ in gold from thomann (i really want one )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunyshaun1234shaunyshaun1234 Frets: 286
    edited April 2014
    The js for the replies!!

I know what you mean underdog!! It was a nice guitar but I can't help but feel that I'm paying £200 for the name!!

Are they made in USA??
    edited April 2014
    shaunyshaun1234;205141" said:
    The js for the replies!!

I know what you mean underdog!! It was a nice guitar but I can't help but feel that I'm paying £200 for the name!!

Are they made in USA??
    LPJ ( different from an LP junior) are made in the US, carved top, correct body thickness, just cheaper Les Paul's and great guitars if you are after a keeper to upgrade over time. I really want one.

Epi LP tribute PLUS is Chinese made but with US pickups, good electrics, hard case, locking tuners etc. Very good guitars in their own right and feel like a real Les Paul.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    It was a nice guitar but I can't help but feel that I'm paying £200 for the name!!
    To a degree you are, but you'll get that back if you ever have to sell it, compared to the Epiphone.

In my opinion they are just better guitars too - although often not as perfectly made! - but using better wood and parts. They sound better, feel better and have the satisfying sense of being the real thing that an Epi, no matter how nice, just doesn't. (I would make exceptions for the Epiphone models that have no Gibson equivalent at their price points, like most of the semis.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Les paul junior
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    The Epiphone Tribute Plus is a good few notches above any of their Standards for sure, but it still has that plasticky feel and butcher's block construction. Not really mahogany either according to some sources, but a very approximate equivalent found in Indonesia and the Philippines. The price has gone up recently, they used be available for £449, they're more like £529+ now. Still, a lot of guitar for the money. I think the "Plus Top" refers to just a fancy veneer, I think the full maple cap on the T+ makes a difference - I've seen a youtube video comparing a Gibson, Epi T+ and an Epi Standard (the Standard sounded noticeably darker and muddier than the other two iirc). Mine is substantial in mass terms, which I like - over 9lbs.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Trust me,I've got both.Got the Epi first but still lusted after the Gibson.Bought the Gibson LPJ Goldtop last year and although it's not a better guitar it's still a Gibson.No regrets.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • breakstuff;205334" said:
    Trust me,I've got both.Got the Epi first but still lusted after the Gibson.Bought the Gibson LPJ Goldtop last year and although it's not a better guitar it's still a Gibson.No regrets.
    That's pretty much it.

Also, try several - Gibson qc is a bit hit and miss. If you can get a great Gibson (at any price point), it'll be better than any epi.

That said, the tribute plus pack is great value - genuine Gibson USA pickups (better sounding that a lot of other Gibson pickups imo), long tenon neck join and a hardcase.

So they're both good guitars, I still reckon it's worth saving just a little longer, spending a day out and picking a Gibson.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    As with all things in life, from motorcycles to toasters to guitars, if you're in any doubt and have the cash, always buy the real thing.

Anything else will just sit there pissing you off until you go and do it anyway.

That's if you want a longterm keeper anyway, but if you're just dabbling an Epi copy is fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    The Epi tributes are decent guitars.

It might be worth keeping an eye in this one (ends today).

http://bit.ly/1hgTwHN

Re. Gibson I'm going to be very shallow and suggest that even if you get a nice LPJ you still might lust after the spec of standard.

It's definitely a buyers market and you will get a classic for around £900 - £1000 and maybe a standard if you are lucky.

Maybe get a used Epi to scratch the itch for now and then get an LP with all the kit at a later date?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • shaunyshaun1234shaunyshaun1234 Frets: 286
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the replies again!!

Unfortunately* there won't be much more money in the pot for a long time as there is a baby on the way!!! :D

I'm. Going to pop to pmt today and play a few more lpj and go for one of those!!

*I say unfortunately, obviously having a child far out ways the lack of money!!
    edited April 2014
    Played a few LPJ's and was very impressed with them, the gold is nicest finish (imo) and the only colour I think looks better because of the lack of binding. The differences between them and standards isn't world's apart and most could be rectified later in in its life easily enough like changing the plastics and pickups.

I think in many years to come the first run of them (2013) will become quite sort after guitars.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    For very similar money I recently got a '91 LP Studio plus, which is a cracking playing and sounding guitar
    I honestly prefer the LPJ over studios, I've never liked studios, I think its because when I was younger I seen a few where the back and sides were same colour as the front and since then I just don't like them (reasonable I know :D)
  • Went for the lpj in chocolate!! Really great guitar for the money!! Ngd thread tomorrow evening!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Awesome, they really are excellent guitars for the money and infinitely upgradable.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Lovely. I almost fancy one myself now, after looking at them online!
  • Neither get a decent second hand MIJ tokai l