Cold Brew coffee

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16668
My wife has been going on about cold brew for a while so i brought her a Dripster for her birthday
https://dripster.de/en/

I wasn't sure what to expect, but after a few goes I am getting into it.   Just had a Cold Brew and Tonic which was rather pleasant

First taste of it made me wonder why anyone would want to drink a weak slightly coffee tasting water... but the flavour develops quite nicely as you drink a cup.  Unlike hot coffee which gives you a big hit up front
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I had a Costa one. Bleugh. Bleugh. Bleugh. Although I appreciate Costa isn’t the high watermark in coffee making. But bleugh, it’s put me off. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • You can just dump the coffee grounds and water in a jug, steep for 12 hours, then strain. Really really good. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    You can just dump the coffee grounds and water in a jug, steep for 12 hours, then strain. Really really good. 
    I know, but a jug is a less impressive present.  

Apparently cold drip is a bit different too
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    How much of the available flavour does dripping extract compared to an espresso group machine?

https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/brew-ratios-around-world/
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    How much of the available flavour does dripping extract compared to an espresso group machine?

https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/brew-ratios-around-world/
    Depends on the time of brew/speed of drip and the amount of coffee used.  

It’s a different extraction to espresso because it relies on time rather than pressure and heat.  It will always be lighter, sweeter and fruitier.   You need a higher quality bean to make the most of it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    When I were a wee lad, the adults always told me not to drink my coffee when it had gone cold as it would give me tummy ache. 

Either that was all bollocks, or this new fangled cold coffee has a whiff of wankochino about it..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    try it the vietnamese way (cà phê đá), really strong brew, hot water through an aluminium dripper, into a glass.

Then on a separate glass, you have a bit of condensed milk and bunch of ice cubes.

then you mix everything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    ... this new fangled cold coffee has a whiff of wankochino about it..
    Cold brewed coffee has a different taste, just as cold brewed tea does.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Vodka, cold brew and coke makes a decent Black Russian 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    You can just dump the coffee grounds and water in a jug, steep for 12 hours, then strain. Really really good. 
    Cheers will have to give it a try.

Could I just brew it with hot water like normal & then chill it in the fridge afterwards? To reduce the 12 hour time.
    duotone said:

Could I just brew it with hot water like normal & then chill it in the fridge afterwards? To reduce the 12 hour time.
    Yes, but that is not cold brew coffee.  It’s chilled hot brew.  They will taste very different, you may even prefer chilled hot brew to proper cold brew 

its really no bother if doing it overnight, but it will take a few attempts to get something you are happy with

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    When I were a wee lad, the adults always told me not to drink my coffee when it had gone cold as it would give me tummy ache. 

Either that was all bollocks, or this new fangled cold coffee has a whiff of wankochino about it..
    I wouldn't listen to any adults that let kids drink coffee : )
  • brooom said:
    try it the vietnamese way (cà phê đá), really strong brew, hot water through an aluminium dripper, into a glass.

Then on a separate glass, you have a bit of condensed milk and bunch of ice cubes.

then you mix everything.
    It only taste nice if you use Vietnamese coffee though. I think it has chicory in it, which alters the flavour somewhat.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    That's a strange way to make cold brew.  I met the head coffee roaster at Rave last week and the way they do it is 100g of ground in 500ml of water.  You let it sit in the fridge for a few days.

It takes a lot of ground to get the same tasting strength, like twice as much.  But you get similar amount of caffeine. 
    brooom said:

then you mix everything.
    It only taste nice if you use Vietnamese coffee though. I think it has chicory in it, which alters the flavour somewhat.
    I remember in New Orleans they had something similar with the chicory.

http://www.cafedumonde.com/coffee
    edited September 2018

WezV said:
    duotone said:

Yes, but that is not cold brew coffee.  It’s chilled hot brew.  They will taste very different, you may even prefer chilled hot brew to proper cold brew 

its really no bother if doing it overnight, but it will take a few attempts to get something you are happy with

Thanks @Wez will g;;

Ordered a tin from Sainsbury’s to try out: 

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&productId=1248210&urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10123&langId=44
    there is a good summary of immersion and drip cold brew here

https://alternativebrewing.com.au/immersion-cold-brew-drip-cold-brew-coffee-right/
    WezV said:
    there is a good summary of immersion and drip cold brew here

https://alternativebrewing.com.au/immersion-cold-brew-drip-cold-brew-coffee-right/
    Cheers!

My tin of coffee didnt turn up in the end...out of stock 
  •  I played around with it a few years ago when everyone was starting to talk about it and had just come back from San Francisco where my friends were raving about it in every trendy Coffee place they took me. They are lovely but very Californian lol. There lives always seem to me about living the latest trend.

its a nice way to make a cold drink during summer when I fancy  it and immersed a batch when the family came to stay in Spain this summer.

but could not see it becoming my normal daily drink on a cold January morning. 
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206

haha brilliant  - love that. I work in central London - and the whole coffee thing down here is just nuts.. £3 for a black coffee in these new "boutique" coffee shops. FFS. 
    I have a reusable cup, and that gets me a filter coffee form Pret for 49p ! That'll do fine thanks !