Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Custom Shop Strat - or is it

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
in Guitar tFB Trader
https://reverb.com/item/14352805-fender-custom-shop-62-stratocaster-heavy-relic-2012-1994-olympic-white-over-dakota-red

is it really a Custom Shop guitar ?????? - read as much of the info report as you can 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    So it’s a partsacaster yet they say they have a COA that’s pretty naughty.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

CS body.

New (replacement?!) neck.

Replacement case.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Erm, the Custom Shop appears to have forgotten to run a ground wire to the vibrato claw. 

The Fender Custom Shop bases its fake wear on genuine old guitars. I have never seen that pattern of paint loss around the recessed jack before.

The body edge contours do not look right for 1962. I would like to see under the vibrato and scratchplate. I half expect to see dowels filling two holes where threaded inserts for a two-point fulcrum vibrato used to be.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Partsocaster at best. One of the many misleading Reverb ads. I've given up reporting these now. Too many fakes on this platform, its become like ebay. Its also stuffed full of home dealers masquerading as private sellers and circumventing UK trading laws.
    NIce headstock serial number placement there too. Pass.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    So it’s a partsacaster yet they say they have a COA that’s pretty naughty.
    just a hunch but I dare say the COA was issued with that serial number and at one time was genuine - but neither the coa on its own or indeed the body make it a C/Shop guitar today
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    @iain.reverb any thoughts on this?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

The Fender Custom Shop bases its fake wear on genuine old guitars. I have never seen that pattern of paint loss around the recessed jack before.

I've never seen that type of wear, or level of wear, before on a Custom Shop - maybe some masterbuilt models but not C/Shop
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    The “top spec wiring” sounds like the only thing from the Custom Shop is the bare body. Also, what the hell is “deep body cleansing”?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I don’t think the ad’s entirely misleading - it’s listed as ‘Condition: Very Good’.

I don’t think many of us would argue with that....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @iain.reverb any thoughts on this?
    Flagged it for suspension
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193
    £1500...!?   You can easily find a legit FCS relic for not much more. 
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    It's a 1993 neck as well, not a 94 anniversary, and you can see the holes/marks from the previous tuners. So much waffle, so much BS badly representing an extremely overpriced partscaster. A seller I'll avoid.

tFB Trader
    MikeS said:
    It's a 1993 neck as well, not a 94 anniversary, and you can see the holes/marks from the previous tuners. So much waffle, so much BS badly representing an extremely overpriced partscaster. A seller I'll avoid.
    I think they were shipping the 40th anniv banner headstocks on 1993 models to be fair - regular thing for Fender to cross over such events
    tFB Trader
    @MattFGBI ; - what does the serial number R57507 show as on your system
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    MikeS said:
    I think they were shipping the 40th anniv banner headstocks on 1993 models to be fair - regular thing for Fender to cross over such events
    We got our 40th Anniv badged ones in 1994 when I worked for a Fender dealer.

Nice necks IMHO but that guitar is a load of...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

tFB Trader
    To be fair, in the description he does give a lot of info that shows more of its true colour regarding what it is spec'd as currently - But it is hiding behind the Fender Custom Shop tag that is the big issue IMO - almost using the C/Shop body and COA as the best asset with everything else as a lower common denominator - Yet the whole story lends itself to be careful about the actual body anyway
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    gringopig said:
    The advert title is totally misrepresenting. Remove the 'custom shop' part and it would be more honest. It's also very over-priced.
    Even if you take the Custom Shop bit out, you still can't call it a Fender, as it (presumably) wasn't assembled by Fender.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    MikeS said:
    We got our 40th Anniv badged ones in 1994 when I worked for a Fender dealer.

Nice necks IMHO but that guitar is a load of...
    Later 1993 models were shipped with the banner headstock logo ready in time for 1994

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited August 2018

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/