Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Custom Shop Strat - or is it

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    gringopig said:
    The advert title is totally misrepresenting. Remove the 'custom shop' part and it would be more honest. It's also very over-priced.
    Even if you take the Custom Shop bit out, you still can't call it a Fender, as it (presumably) wasn't assembled by Fender.
    always a bone of contention and a big grey area - If it is all made from genuine Fender parts, then is it not a Fender  ????

In that case what is 'Blackie' (made up from 6 guitars) - Granted 'blackie' is not original, but is it now no longer a Fender ?

So what happens if I take a neck of to adjust the truss rod

IMO if you have a host of genuine Fender parts and assemble them as a 'bits o caster' then as long as you are truthful about what you have and describe it as a 'Fender bits so caster' then I'm not so sure there is any issue - After all, if you break it down and sell each part separately then you can legally call it a Fender neck and equally a Fender body etc etc

However I do agree in this instance it is 100% a bits o caster - I have an issue calling this one a Fender Custom Shop Strat - But I would not have an issue calling it a 'Fender Bits so caster'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    @MattFGBI ;;;; - what does the serial number R57507 show as on your system
    R67507 (on the cert) is 1962 Stratocaster heavy relic Oly White over Dakota so the body checks out
    https://www.fender.com/product-registration/
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

https://www.guitargaragelondon.com/testimonials

Apparently, the seller is a "Guitar Scientist"...

"Someone on this page referred to Dan as a guitar scientist, and I’d have to agree".

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @MattFGBI ;; - what does the serial number R57507 show as on your system
    R67505 (on the cert) is 1962 Stratocaster heavy relic
    even better story now isn't it Steve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    Sorry that's my typo, it's R67507 cert and neck plate
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    guitars4you said:

I think they were shipping the 40th anniv banner headstocks on 1993 models to be fair - regular thing for Fender to cross over such events
    I think it’s actually that the serial number decals were printed in bulk and not always used up within the year, but ran on into the next one.

I had one of these with the flag pin, and from memory the serial number was also N3 but the date stamp on the heel was definitely 1994.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4492
    gringopig said:
    The advert title is totally misrepresenting. Remove the 'custom shop' part and it would be more honest. It's also very over-priced.
    Even if you take the Custom Shop bit out, you still can't call it a Fender, as it (presumably) wasn't assembled by Fender.
    always a bone of contention and a big grey area - If it is all made from genuine Fender parts, then is it not a Fender  ????

In that case what is 'Blackie' (made up from 6 guitars) - Granted 'blackie' is not original, but is it now no longer a Fender ?

So what happens if I take a neck of to adjust the truss rod

IMO if you have a host of genuine Fender parts and assemble them as a 'bits o caster' then as long as you are truthful about what you have and describe it as a 'Fender bits so caster' then I'm not so sure there is any issue - After all, if you break it down and sell each part separately then you can legally call it a Fender neck and equally a Fender body etc etc

However I do agree in this instance it is 100% a bits o caster - I have an issue calling this one a Fender Custom Shop Strat - But I would not have an issue calling it a 'Fender Bits so caster'
    AFAIK, that's the official legal standpoint.  But I agree, it can get a bit silly.  Especially as Leo's original idea was to be able to swap a neck out if it got warped or broken.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Guitar garage?

I've previously flagged some of their listings on eBay for dishonest representation/passing off/ fraud etc. I wouldn't go anywhere near them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    They seem to win a lot of stuff on ebay - mainly MIJ - and list it again within a couple of days at double the price.  I contacted them once about a Tele they had and asked it they were insterested in my MIJ strat as a part deal, but they said it was not what they were looking for even though Fender MIJ was the mainstay of their business at the time  :#

• That's just so shit, whatever it is .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • That body was for sale a couple of months back - saw it on ebay or reverb.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    That body was for sale a couple of months back - saw it on ebay or reverb.
    distinguishable isn't it - you'd remember - I've not seen such a 'worn' relic before from Fender like this on a C/Shop model - excluding the RG Strat - maybe on a Masterbuilt - Not saying the finish is not original but suspect it has had more 'wear' applied to it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Sorry that's my typo, it's R67507 cert and neck plate
    my error Steve - I thought it said 57507 - I was on a small screen at the time - but yes 67507
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2368
    Seems like Guitar Garage are one of the UK's many persistent offenders of FMIC's copyrighted names. Relic....Heavy Relic.....Roadworn and all the usual Strats and Tele's etc cannot be used here in the UK without permission. 

https://www.guitargaragelondon.com/custom

Won't be long before the legal dept coming knocking methinks.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    impmann said:
    MikeS said:
    It's a 1993 neck as well, not a 94 anniversary, and you can see the holes/marks from the previous tuners. So much waffle, so much BS badly representing an extremely overpriced partscaster. A seller I'll avoid.
    I think they were shipping the 40th anniv banner headstocks on 1993 models to be fair - regular thing for Fender to cross over such events
    We got our 40th Anniv badged ones in 1994 when I worked for a Fender dealer.

Nice necks IMHO but that guitar is a load of...
    Later 1993 models were shipped with the banner headstock logo ready in time for 1994

You can see the pinholes for the 40 logo on the original listing. I guess leaving it on would be too much of a giveaway!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Also, what the hell is “deep body cleansing”?
    Presumably a wipe over with a cloth and a squirt of Mr Sheen. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8789
    Also, what the hell is “deep body cleansing”?
    Colonic irrigation
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    They're forever "chopping" guitars - mixing necks and bodies to resell 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)