Pedal board power

What's Hot
Hi guys just after some advice about pedal board power supplies. 
Currently I run my pedal board with a daisy chain from a single pedal power supply, this sort of thing:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supply-Aukru-Effects-Adapter-Splitter/dp/B071HNC2NS ;

Recently I've noticed a buzzing at gigs, I seem to be able to get rid of it if I wiggle the cable of the psu around. I googled the problem and came across what I'll call real pedal power supplies! And also I watched the that pedal show on pedal power. Somehow I'd never seen any of this info before and I feel like a real simpleton! 

Anyway getting to the point I think I need isolated power to each pedal rather than a daisy chain to get rid of the buzz and I was just wondering if the psu I've found would do this and just generally whether it's any good.. I'm a cheap skate so please don't recommend anything that's crazy money don't really want to spend more that £150. I currently run a korg tuner, tone city comp engine, tone city sweet cream, full tone fulldrive 3 and a mooer reecho pro (the one with tap tempo) and I was hoping to add a cry baby and a digitech Ventura vibe.

This is the psu I found.. 
https://www.andertons.co.uk/mxr-iso-brick-power-supply

Thanks for reading hope you can help! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    The answer to this question, as long as you don't need more than 150mA per output, is the Harley Benton Powerplant Jnr which gives you 5x150mA isolated outputs for about £35 from Thomann.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the recommendation, is there any reason why the Harley Benton stuff is really cheap in comparison to everything else? I was looking at the junior on thomann and found there's a power plant pro for £60 which seems to be the same as the mxr one I found but less than half the price.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    I have just bought a (Chinese) Caline 5 power supply off ebay, new £20. Runs 9 fx pedals. 7 x 9v outputs 100ma each, 1 x 9v 500ma, 1 x 12v and 1 x 18v (both at 100ma). It also has a reverse-polarity adaptor with a mini-jack which runs my old Crybaby. For £20 it's a bargain, however the Harley Benton one mentioned above with 150ma per pedal, or the MXR one, would give you more headroom which may be desirable.
    I also have an Effect Power Supplies daisychain (6 x 9v, about £18) which does a good job and a Burkey Flatliner 6 which is a very high-spec expensive one. Since I bought these, prices have come right down and there are many more psus to choose from!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    Thanks for the recommendation, is there any reason why the Harley Benton stuff is really cheap in comparison to everything else? I was looking at the junior on thomann and found there's a power plant pro for £60 which seems to be the same as the mxr one I found but less than half the price.. 
    Offshore manufacturing and economies of scale. There's little downside of buying from Thomann other than it taking a few days longer than direct from the UK and shipping costs unless you hit the minimum order value. I'm certain someone on here will be selling one in the classifieds.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

I have a Decibel 11 HotStone HC that I will getting rid of very soon that might be of use to you depending on your requirements - will be well within your budget!

It's good quality, fully isolated and high current (the HC bit in the name!) so easily powers digital pedals like Strymons and Eventides - from memory think it is 400v on each output. Of course you might not need that capability now, but you will in the future! It's an older model and price will reflect that.

PM me if you are interested, 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    jdgm said:
    I have just bought a (Chinese) Caline 5 power supply off ebay, new £20. Runs 9 fx pedals. 7 x 9v outputs 100ma each, 1 x 9v 500ma, 1 x 12v and 1 x 18v (both at 100ma). It also has a reverse-polarity adaptor with a mini-jack which runs my old Crybaby. For £20 it's a bargain, however the Harley Benton one mentioned above with 150ma per pedal, or the MXR one, would give you more headroom which may be desirable.
    I also have an Effect Power Supplies daisychain (6 x 9v, about £18) which does a good job and a Burkey Flatliner 6 which is a very high-spec expensive one. Since I bought these, prices have come right down and there are many more psus to choose from!

I don’t know about the Caline but the Harley Benton Jr has isolated outlets. If you’re mixing digital and analogue pedals (or fussy stuff) then this is a good idea to avoid hum. Weirdly only the Jr version of the HB is isolated: the bigger, more expensive versions aren’t. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    That Stinkfoot table is very good.  It's the isolation that's the key.  I've got one of the supplies that you see under many brand names with 7x9V, 1x higher current 9V, 1 x 12V and 1x18V.  £20 made in China job. They claim isolated but it's not.  For me it's only a problem when the TC Polytune tuner is active as they dump lots of digital noise to ground which ends up on the other pedals. 
  • I’d recommend the T-Rex fuel tank classic. A bit pricey but oh can lock one up for £70 ish second hand. Will eliminate your buzzing and you really do get what you pay for when it comes to power supplies. 
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    I’d recommend the T-Rex fuel tank classic. A bit pricey but oh can lock one up for £70 ish second hand. Will eliminate your buzzing and you really do get what you pay for when it comes to power supplies.

Most of the outputs on that power supply aren't isolated. It's basically just a daisy chain in a big box with a couple of added features. The standard Harley Benton PowerPlant is an exact copy for way less money. I own one and it's crap.

The Jr version is waaaay better. Properly isolated outputs and it's even cheaper. The only real downside being it has less outputs than its big brother.

The pro version is apparently very good but I've never used one so can't recommend from personal experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I use a trutone CS6. Completely eliminated any noise from my board, and fits under the pedaltrain nano+ I use. Only has 6 outputs though