"Real Tube" Overdrive

Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
Bought in 1989 (IIRC) from Doug Chandler's shop in Richmond. ATM it's the 2nd in the chain on my pedalboard (1st is an original Guv'nor, bought at the same time). I usually keep the Guv'nor scooped with lots of drive , and the actual gain is about unity so the vol pot doesn't boost it much. The "Real Tube" tends to soften up the o/p from the Guv'nor so I get somewhere near (but not exactly the same as) the smoothness that Andy Latimer gets with his Rat into a Tube Screamer. The Real Tube is set to about flat bass & treble, with a mild midrange hump. The "drive" is quite low at about 2/10, again the vol pot is set for roughly unity gain.

Had a conversation with someone (can't remember who) at the recent Huddersfield bash, who noted that the drive is set very low, and I said if you turn it up, the pedal gets fizzy, and he said that's because they put an ECC83 (12AX7A in yank-speak) in it, you should put something with a lower gain in there. Which I'm willing to try ... but he reckoned an ECC82 would do the job, whereas I always thought you could replace an ECC83 with an ECC81 for lower "gain" but not with an ECC82.

So what would @ICBM (or any of @ECC83 @jpfamps) do?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Phil, having used loads of plate starved TD style pedals, a CV4003 will literally annihilate anything else in my experience, but they're pricey.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

To be honest I'm not familiar with that circuit, so can't really recommend anything with any authority.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    You should be able to use an ECC82/12AU7/CV4003 in a 12AX7 circuit as long as you don't exceed the plate resistor ratings, which with a low-voltage circuit like this won't happen. (It can in amps.)

I would try a standard ECC82 first before spending a lot more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks, Gentlemen :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself