Joining the four-string world tomorrow, incoming NBD!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Cool! I'll get Jr to give some slap lessons at water rats ;)
    Crikey, Jr is a bit good to have to put up with my efforts!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Question - could I put the Bass into my Boss GT-8 and some monitors?  I know it's a guitar processor but it might do the jobby?
    I see no reason why not. I have been known to run guitar through a BOSS ME-50B. In the first few days of ownership, I stumbled across a combination of effects that sounded like the old Roland AG-5 Funny Cat pedal. I photographed the control settings but managed to lose the photograph.

The editing parameters of the GT-8 should be adaptable to bass guitar. Shift the EQ band centre frequencies down a bit. Compress or limit to taste. Auto-filter when you want some fun (and to annoy Bridgehouse!).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    Congratulations on entering the world of four stringed coolness. 

I bought the very closely speced fretless version a while back. I’ve not been a bass player for decades but I do still love a little noodle here and there. ‘Accidentally’ picked one up in PMT and that was it, smitten.

I think the lovely feel of it and the joy of having it around totally negate it’s built to cost nature. 

Of course if I started to play more seriously, while it could get the job done perfectly well, it would also be the perfect gateway drug. :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I thought my guitar gas would be the pinnacle of gas-ness but no - bass is in some ways worse. There’s an even wider range of custom basses by small makers out there, there’s the whole 5 and 6 string thing, then there’s the amps - those class D amps are so collectible!

Careful Ed - you’ll be hankering for a jazz or a Precision next, then a Warwick or a Ric and then it’s game over 
    I try to be careful with GAS if I bought everything I gassed for I'd need a second mortgage and would get divorced!
    I try to be careful with GAS if I bought everything I gassed for I'd need a second mortgage and would get divorced!
    :D
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2522
    edited August 2018
    Cool! I'll get Jr to give some slap lessons at water rats
    Slap?! 

You are dead to me.

Lesson #1 thow away your pick 
    Lesson #1 thow away your pick 
    Ironically, one of the reasons I've gotten a bass is to get more used to/less hostile to finger picking.  I'm pretty much all-plectrum on electric and I'll never play "More than Words" like that!

Been trying to avoid using my thumb and doing the "thumb rest on fingers plucky fingers thing" - then saw a video of Paul Mc Cartney using his thumb!

What's the crack with that?
    I’ve never used a pick.

Index and middle finger and rest thumb on the string below - if it’s the E string then it’s thumb rest on pickup/body.

Bass is a lot about muting the other strings using left and right hands so they don’t sound. I use my RH thumb for that as well as LH fingers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    you’ll be hankering for a jazz or a Precision next, then a Warwick or a Ric and then it’s game over 
    Nonsense. P, J, W and R are just the beginning. ;) 

darthed1981 said:
    one of the reasons I've gotten a bass is to get more used to/less hostile to finger picking.
    This should build finger strength or, more likely, create bigger/better calluses. 

The word thumb is often used as shorthand for slap but it can also be used à la Chet Atkins to get two "parts" going at the same time. If the nail is long enough, it is possible to play the strings with a combination of skin and nail. This provides some of the attack transient noise of a plectrum without having to hold one.

Talking of two parts at once, try dropping the low string to D. Suddenly, your bottom three strings offer a one-finger power chord. This leaves your other digits free to do tapping guitar stunts. While this might not be the most musical thing that can be achieved on bass guitar, it should help with pull and hammer strength. For this exercise, distortion helps.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I thought my guitar gas would be the pinnacle of gas-ness but no - bass is in some ways worse. There’s an even wider range of custom basses by small makers out there, there’s the whole 5 and 6 string thing, then there’s the amps - those class D amps are so collectible!

Careful Ed - you’ll be hankering for a jazz or a Precision next, then a Warwick or a Ric and then it’s game over 
    Basses are more interesting. There’s more difference between classic bass designs than there is guitar. I’m pretty settled for guitars but there are loads of basses I’d love to own
    I thought my guitar gas would be the pinnacle of gas-ness but no - bass is in some ways worse. There’s an even wider range of custom basses by small makers out there, there’s the whole 5 and 6 string thing, then there’s the amps - those class D amps are so collectible!

Basses are more interesting. There’s more difference between classic bass designs than there is guitar. I’m pretty settled for guitars but there are loads of basses I’d love to own
    Yes. This.

Whichever git said “Try bass - you only need one bass!” can go do one!
    Mrs Darth just went off with the bass to try and learn something...

Doubt it will last but good on her!
    Mrs Darth just went off with the bass to try and learn something...

Doubt it will last but good on her!
    That's a result mate!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Congrats Ed!

Now you just need to practice that mean, moody, pissed-off look and you too can be a bassist!!

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Congrats Ed!

Now you just need to practice that mean, moody, pissed-off look and you too can be a bassist!!

;)
    I’ve copyrighted that look