ES-335 Copies

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Just wondering what experience people have with 335s that aren't Gibson branded? Which ones really stand out to you? I'm interested in all price ranges.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    The Tokai ES100 and ES150 from the early '80s are outstanding. I think they compare very well to the Gibson Historics. They are very rare but pop up sometimes for around 1,2k-1,7k.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12336
    I bought a Harley Benton 335 copy for £110 from Thomann.  Did the whole sand and buff the finish to make it less shiny, put a set of seymour duncan vintage blues pickups in, set of gibson vintage pearloid tuners, a new pickguard and witchats.  Spent total of £300 and sounds brilliant, preferred it to epiphone dots I tried.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3199
    Despite the flack they get on here I was very impressed with the Eastman T59V, it was huge sounding and very well put together.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7114
    I'd echo Emiels comments above (in fact Emiel did you buy mine ?)

I had an 81 es100j very similar to the above and I'd snap one up if I saw one again. Really articulate, lovely neck - maybe not as warm as the Gibsons I've had but I love a bit of jangle.

I sold mine to buy an oldish Gibson under orders from my Mrs, I've since had other Gibsons, a few Yamahas and a couple more modern Tokais but none as good as the 81.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2521
    munckee said:
    I bought a Harley Benton 335 copy for £110 from Thomann.  Did the whole sand and buff the finish to make it less shiny, put a set of seymour duncan vintage blues pickups in, set of gibson vintage pearloid tuners, a new pickguard and witchats.  Spent total of £300 and sounds brilliant, preferred it to epiphone dots I tried.
    What's the neck like? Rounded C or Flat/Shallow? etc..
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12336
    Quite a chunky c shape with fairly flat radius. It was an E35 ch. they don't sell them now but something similar. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Despite the flack they get on here I was very impressed with the Eastman T59V, it was huge sounding and very well put together.
    Do they get flack on here? I thought they were fairly well regarded...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    Hattigol said:
    Made in China so they are overpriced for what they are - ie. cheap far eastern copies.

Allegedly.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    Sheratons are pretty good.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Early 80's sheratons
    Early 80's el maya or maya 335 (rather rare)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I had a Maya  335 in the early eighties .Nice guitar but didnt gel with it so swapped it for a JV Strat.

• I had a Hohner ES35 Pro which was very nice to play. You see them knocking about occasionally. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 134
    Anyone tried one of the Radiotones? Will need a bit of work at that price point but the basic shape looks pretty accurate. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3199
    Hattigol said:
    There are a few of us who are fans but folks generally struggle with the made in China thing as mentioned by @rlw. I’ve also seen people complain here that the ones they have tried have been ‘sterile’. The two I’ve owned have been anything but sterile and have been better than a raft of Gibson’s I’ve tried (and I say that as someone who has owned and still owns a few gibsons), maybe I’ve just been lucky. In my opinion though, I’d say they are really good guitars for the money -particularly when picked up second hand.
  • rlw said:
    Hattigol said:
    Made in China so they are overpriced for what they are - ie. cheap far eastern copies.

Allegedly.
    I really struggle with my Nike trainers, which are made in Vietnam, and my iPhone, which is made in China. It's a bummer.... ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've tried most of the 335 copies and a) they vary a bit usually in weight and neck shape, and b) none sound like a Gibson ES335.  I've changed pickups and hardware, even bought two identical ones to check what differences I could achieve.

I still have Cort, Indie, Vintage and Aria 335s, plus a Japanese Tokai 335.  They'll all be sold long before I sell my real 335s.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Edwards and Yamaha too - not strict copies but same shapes and great guitars
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    80s grecos, 80s tokais, 2000-To current navigators, Orville/Orville by gibson. All great alternatives.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    Yamaha SA2000 was pretty darned good.  As with most higher end Yammies, astonishing quality for the money.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2521
    munckee said:
    Quite a chunky c shape with fairly flat radius. It was an E35 ch. they don't sell them now but something similar. 
    And you will bring it to Woking yeah ;)