A/B pedal advice

What's Hot
jesonejesone Frets: 60
edited August 2018 in FX
I want to try out running clean & dirty amps. Do I need something clever and expensive to switch between them or will a cheap pedal do? Something like the Electro Harmonix Switchblade A/B Pedal?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

If you simply want to switch between amps, then a simple switcher will suffice.

There are plenty of inexpensive items on the market.

Problems occur when you want to run both amps together, as you can end up with a ground loop which could cause hum.

The best way to avoid ground loops is to have an isolating transformer on one of the outputs, however this is an expensive part (for a pedal).

You may also have phasing issues running two amps together; if they are out of phase then you will loose bass. A transformer makes it very easy to flip the phase of one output.

Finally the more sophisticated switcher will have logic control of switching to allow you to switch between all options with only one button press.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Cheap will do fine unless the amps don't like sharing a ground connection and you get hum. It's not always easily predictable without trying it.

If you do, you either need to break the ground in one of the signal cables from the box to the amps, or get a switch box with an isolated second output.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jesonejesone Frets: 60
    Many thanks chaps. Think I'll try the dead cheap Fender one and see whether It's something I really want to pursue.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    jesone said:
    Many thanks chaps. Think I'll try the dead cheap Fender one and see whether It's something I really want to pursue.
    It works fine for me although I just use it to switch between two channels on the same amp (a Vox), so not exactly the same thing.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Cheap: lehle mini one or the radial big shot or Gigrig humdinger
    Best: the mighty pete Cornish ABC box,

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    I’ve just bought a Lehle little Devil for running two amps and the sound of two amps together is ace! The Lehle has a transformer on one output, so the two amps aren’t ever connected to avoid buzzy stuff and electricity gremlins from occurring, also allows stereo fx to be input. Very happy with it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Obligatory Bright Onion recommendation here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    jesone said:
    PM'd - I've got a Fender one I don't use. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs