New tube amp issue

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
Bleh. New Ampeg PF20T arrived today. 

Plugged in - into speaker - on to standby - left for 5 mins. Standby off - after 20 seconds I get a consistent crackling. Volume/gain etc make no difference. 

Powered down, tried a different plug socket, cab etc still the same. Left on standby for 20 mins and still no different - same volume, same crackling. 

Took the cover off and jiggled the tubes. Made sure they were well seated. It’s back on standby for 20 mins. 

Bah. Looks like it’s going back :(
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Messaged the shop for a return. 

Bah. Was looking forward to it. Most disappointed. Excitement well and truly quashed. Going to stick to stupid class D amps. Grr. 

I’m off to bed. Im not a happy chap. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Probably a valve, that’s one of the features of valve amps...

Want a dead and probably unrepairable (at least economically) PF350 to make you feel better?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Crackling noises can be a bad valve.  If the volume/gain aren't making any difference then it would be a power valve not a preamp valve.

Do you have any spare power valves you could try in it?
    No spares. And as a brand new amp I’m not going to try either - it should work out the box.

@ICBM - maybe I could put the dead pf350 on top of my cab to make it look like there’s something useful there? 

I’m just whinging after a hard day - ignore me :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    No spares. And as a brand new amp I’m not going to try either - it should work out the box.
    It should, but shipping damage is quite common with valves, especially power valves.

As a valve amp owner, a set of spares is a very useful thing to have... it would at least allow you to positively identify it as the fault.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    It should, but shipping damage is quite common with valves, especially power valves.

As a valve amp owner, a set of spares is a very useful thing to have... it would at least allow you to positively identify it as the fault.
    I have of course owned plenty of valve amps in the past :)

This is the first one I’ve had arrived dead. Unlucky? Maybe. Lucky up to now? Likely. 

My rant is purely dosappointment as I was looking forward to doing a full James Jamerson last night 
    It’s being exchanged - decided to try another one.

Now, Anyone got a spare valve set for a PF20T? ;)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021

Definitely worth having another try. The valves are easily available - 2x6v6, 2x12ax7.
    JezWynd said:

Definitely worth having another try. The valves are easily available - 2x6v6, 2x12ax7.
    Looks like I need to buy a spare set just in case then
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    I've probably got some lying around from doing swapsies on amps here - the last set of which I don't think was actually the problem, so they should all still be good.
    Snags said:
    I've probably got some lying around from doing swapsies on amps here - the last set of which I don't think was actually the problem, so they should all still be good.
    Let me know how much you want for them - I’ll have em ;)