Delay advice

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I’m looking for a delay that works into the front of a single channel amp with no loop. Amp is set to a mild breakup. I have tried the TC flashback and the ‘dynamic’ delay setting is pretty good as it doesn’t get to mushy or overpowering but wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

I like the sound of the catlinbread echorec, would that work into the front of a single channel amp that’s breaking up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've heard good things about the mxr echoplex

I think it was the Pete thorn demo. 

Haven't used the catalinbread sorry, 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    IIRC @Grunfeld is an Echorec user and says it’s best into the front of an amp. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Yeah, most (all?) of the Catalinbread delays - Montavallian/Echorec/Belle Epoch - are supposed to be excellent in front of a cooking amp. Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay is also famous for it.
    Other delays I really like in the front with some grunt are the Skreddy Echo, Boss DM2/DM3, SiB Mr Echo and the Malekko 600 Bright.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    If you are avoiding mushy I wouldn't get an echorec
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Macca_25387Macca_25387 Frets: 86
    edited August 2018
    Catalinbread delays work great going in the front. That’s how i’ve always used them, they recommend you use the belle epochs near the front of your chain also. 

Boss delays all work well n the front aswell. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    IIRC @Grunfeld is an Echorec user and says it’s best into the front of an amp. 

Yep, I have the Echorec and the Belle Epoch on my board every gig.  They work best into the front of the amp however, like @meltedbuzzbox said, they're definitely not pristine digital-sounding repeats. 
    Both pedals have character.  They're different without being too weird and unusable.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Cheap as fish and chips ....almost!
    buy my delay pedal in classifieds!!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30897
    I always run in front of the amp-

Dig: Prividence Chrono or DD3 MIJ
    Analog: Skreddy Echo or one of the Catlins, although I prefer the Belle Epoch.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7851
    DD500. Awesome delay, great price.  Sounds excellent. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    joeyowen said:
    I've heard good things about the mxr echoplex

I think it was the Pete thorn demo. 

Haven't used the catalinbread sorry, 
    IIRC he uses it to demonstrate running delay into an amp for Van Halen type sounds. 

——————————————————————————- 

With the range of delay pedals now you’ll get a very long list unless you can narrow it down a bit. Tap tempo? Budget? Modulation? Pre sets? 
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    I use a DD500 into the front end of 2 amps in stereo sounds killer. 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Delay advice? Ok if I come back to you next week?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis

• With the range of delay pedals now you’ll get a very long list unless you can narrow it down a bit. Tap tempo? Budget? Modulation? Pre sets? 
    I’m not after anything too sophisticated. No need for tap tempo or pre sets. Single stomp box sizes budget up to £200. I’m after something with a bit more character and ‘vibe’ than a digital delay and definitely don’t need pristine repeats or lots of subdivisions etc. I’m after a delay to add some ambience, atmosphere and character. Not looking for U2 style stuff. I just don’t want it to be too overpowering and wash over the whole sound meaning in a live mix the whole things turns to mush
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Strymon DIG may be worth a look. There's one on Cash Converters for £199 which is really bloody good.

With the range of delay pedals now you’ll get a very long list unless you can narrow it down a bit. Tap tempo? Budget? Modulation? Pre sets? 
    I’m not after anything too sophisticated. No need for tap tempo or pre sets. Single stomp box sizes budget up to £200. I’m after something with a bit more character and ‘vibe’ than a digital delay and definitely don’t need pristine repeats or lots of subdivisions etc. I’m after a delay to add some ambience, atmosphere and character. Not looking for U2 style stuff. I just don’t want it to be too overpowering and wash over the whole sound meaning in a live mix the whole things turns to mush
    Probably the standard  box tape style ones already mentioned like the Belle Epoch, Echorec ( I know technically it's not tape emulation), Dunlop Echoplex ( has a 'hidden' tape age feature IIRC) and,err, something else I can't think of. I suspect you'd find analogue a bit mushy, although a Carbon Copy Bright might work. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808

Respectfully I'm still not clear what you're looking for.  There are no U2 style delays, it's in how you use them.  Eg a DMM is a much loved "character" delay, but also the cornerstone of Edge's sound in the early days.  
    Give us an example of a track that gets what you're looking for.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059

Try out the Boss DM-2w. It ticks all your boxes.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

Probably the standard  box tape style ones already mentioned like the Belle Epoch, Echorec ( I know technically it's not tape emulation), Dunlop Echoplex ( has a 'hidden' tape age feature IIRC) and,err, something else I can't think of. I suspect you'd find analogue a bit mushy, although a Carbon Copy Bright might work. 
    Although my DD500 pushed it off my board i still think the Carbon Copy Bright is fantastic and much better sounding than the original. It adds this lush halo to the sound that is really attractive. I am not one for dark repeats though
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    The Catalinbread Belle Epoch is designed to go in front of an amp. I just so happen to have one FS in the classifieds too  ;) I am a big fan of the Carbon Copy as well.
  • JezWynd said:

Try out the Boss DM-2w. It ticks all your boxes.
    this ^^  the DM-2w covers my long and short delay needs. I also heavily use  both the standard and custom settings