Multi-mods vs individual pedals

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
edited August 2018 in FX
Currently have a Mobius covering modulation, and an H9 which covers some pre-dirt mod (mainly filter) and pitch. Just wondering whether moving to individual modulation pedals is worth it: it will give me more options for stacking, but wondering how often mod stacking will happen. It's also, very importantly, a question for me as to whether individual mod pedals will sound better, or whether I should just stick with what I have. A couple of pedals I've seen can cover more than one (Glou Glou Rendezvous, CB Wombtone and Warped Vinyl). Mods-wise, on both the Mobius and H9 (although the H9 certainly has other uses), I mostly use filter, phaser, vibe and trem, with only the occasional bit of chorus for Cure/Cocteau Twins sounds, and the occasional bit of rotary/leslie.

What are everyone's experiences? Do people have individual mod pedals or multis, do you stack different types of modulation a lot, or is that a rarety in the sounds you use?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    For the best possible sound I think individual pedals always trump multi's. 
    However for praticality I use a MD500 and a H9. 
    I cant say I ever stack mods that often. I tend to use vibrato with a few things on the H9 and maybe a touch of dimension C. 
    But I don't stack phasers or anything. The stereo electric mistress does chorus and flanger together and that sounded nice but I have never mimiced it out side of that pedal. 

When I record stuff though, if I have a moogerfooger that does the effect I want I will always use it over everything else. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Why switch?

Keep your Mobius for now and just buy / borrow some separate mod pedals to try as an alternative.

If separates works better for you, sell the Mobius.

If the Mobius works-out best, you still have it.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Gadget said:
    Why switch?

Keep your Mobius for now and just buy / borrow some separate mod pedals to try as an alternative.

That was how I was looking do it, just test the waters but hold on to the Mobius for the moment.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    Not always. Sometimes.

R.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Gadget said:
    Why switch?

That was how I was looking do it, just test the waters but hold on to the Mobius for the moment.
    The only trouble is (if you're like me), you'll like both, end up keeping both and have an even emptier wallet :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Gadget said:
    Gadget said:
    Why switch?

The only trouble is (if you're like me), you'll like both, end up keeping both and have an even emptier wallet :)
    Yes. Yes, that is a distinct possibility...

Ah, who needs to actually pay off credit cards these days?  :)
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I like my flange to sound like flange and my chorus to sound like chorus, so I've never been much of a fan of those Mistress-type pedals that are kinda half and half. I also always have chorus after flange, as it removes any metallic harshness and adds extra swirlies to the whooshing, my favourite combo being the Boss BF-2 followed by a CE-3 in stereo.
    Mmmm. Swooshy.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • For the best possible sound I think individual pedals always trump multi's. 
    However for praticality I use a MD500 and a H9. 
    I cant say I ever stack mods that often. I tend to use vibrato with a few things on the H9 and maybe a touch of dimension C. 
    But I don't stack phasers or anything. The stereo electric mistress does chorus and flanger together and that sounded nice but I have never mimiced it out side of that pedal. 

When I record stuff though, if I have a moogerfooger that does the effect I want I will always use it over everything else. 
    I suppose stacking mods might be interesting if you’re recording, but it would seem to matter less playing live.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    I think there’s always going to be a live vs recording divide on this. Ease of switching vs sound quality
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited August 2018
    Roland said:
    I think there’s always going to be a live vs recording divide on this. Ease of switching vs sound quality
    Do you think the nuance of stacking modulation pedals can be lost in a live context?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    I think the nuance of most of the stuff most guitar gearheads obsess about is lost in pretty much every context :)

Doesn't mean it's not fun though. I still GAS for pedals even though I don't use them (I use a Helix). 

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Considering what you have with h9 and mobius switching to individual pedals will equal little to no sound quality gain and potential expense.

It's an awesome rig. Quit worrying about it and use it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Considering what you have with h9 and mobius switching to individual pedals will equal little to no sound quality gain and potential expense.

Not worrying but pondering  :)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Considering what you have with h9 and mobius switching to individual pedals will equal little to no sound quality gain and potential expense.

Then quit pondering! It causes holes in wallets! :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Considering what you have with h9 and mobius switching to individual pedals will equal little to no sound quality gain and potential expense.

Then quit pondering! It causes holes in wallets! :D
    SIR YES SIR! (also, worth a LOL)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    I think the nuance of most of the stuff most guitar gearheads obsess about is lost in pretty much every context :)

Doesn't mean it's not fun though. I still GAS for pedals even though I don't use them (I use a Helix). 

R.
    The nuances of different modulations are lost on a crowd. They all just make the guitar sound "a bit wobbly". 

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    I ditched all my mod pedals when I got a mobius. Never felt any desire to go back.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    Roland said:
    Do you think the nuance of stacking modulation pedals can be lost in a live context?
    Definitely
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I think the Mobius is one of the best mod pedals on the market, despite its age. Mines going nowhere. With that and an H9, you can cover pretty much anything you could imagine.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989

I think it's more like a game of rock-paper-scissors-snake-thingy-spock.

For any given modulation pedal you can probably find one that's "better", and eventually it goes round in a circle and you have a spiral of betterness.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."