UPS shipping guitars - Beware of dimensional weight!

What's Hot
DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
Not happened before, and I usually go with UPS for the sake of peace of mind, but I've just been hit with an extra charge based on "dimensional weight".  Basically, they take whichever is the heaviest of the actual weight vs the "dimensional weight", and bill you based on that.  So my 10kg parcel (a Ric in a hard case) comes out at 26kg via their "dimensional weight" calulation (using cm, it's LxDxH/5000).  They do this after the fact, so you book your delivery at price X, they accept it, deliver it, let it work through their system for a week or two, and then demand an increased payment Y from you. 

It's there in the T&Cs, so just myself to blame, but what a complete and utter con.  That'll be an extra £20, thank you very much.

This was booking UPS directly, not via interparcel/parcel2go/etc, because the last time I used interparcel, they completely screwed the collection, and I had to deal with UPS directly anyway to ensure I got it picked up.

Anyway, that's UPS on "the list", so I'll be sure to use someone else next time.  I'd advise you all do the same.

Not happy.
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    Interesting. I had issues with dimensional weight through Parcel2Go at one point in the past... the actually box was ridiculously light, it had a couple aluminium stands in it, but no carrier except Hermes would touch it (and Hermes only barely!) - would never use Hermes otherwise but that time had no choice. 

Never an issue with UPS and guitars done through Parcel2Go though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    FedEx and UPS are joining forces. They will call the new company FedUPS. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited August 2018
    Here's the page outlining it all...

https://www.ups.com/gb/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/determine-billable-weight.page#contentBlock-13

...Reading that, it looks like I narrowly missed out on it being classed as a large package, which would have meant being  automatically billed as 40kg.  God knows how much that would have come out at.

EDIT: Actually scratch that..."girth" is 2xW + 2xH, so they don't consider the longest side as contributing to "girth".  Sure I read that in Marie Claire once, too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I always use UPS via www.transglobalexpress.co.uk  where you input the dimensions of the parcel along with the weight, so you're charged on dimensional weight from the outset. I've never had a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14220
    tFB Trader
    I use UPS + Interparcel all the time - never had an issue - Book most PRS/Fender Guitars and oblong style cases in at 12 or 14Kg so plenty spare and parcel size at 116 - 46 - 17 so quote is based on that info - Most UK/Mainland is £12-14 + vat - never ever had a problem inc overseas
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I use UPS via Interparcel all the time, no problems at all.

Their software automatically calculates the correct rate based on actual or volumetric weight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I use UPS + Interparcel all the time - never had an issue - Book most PRS/Fender Guitars and oblong style cases in at 12 or 14Kg so plenty spare and parcel size at 116 - 46 - 17 so quote is based on that info - Most UK/Mainland is £12-14 + vat - never ever had a problem inc overseas
    I would have gone with Interparcel/UPS where it not for the way they handled my previous item.  Waited all day, no pickup, chased them up mid-afternoon and was basically told "tough titty, you'll have to rebook it for tomorrow".  Called UPS directly and they were able to divert a driver on his way back to the depot to pick it up last thing.  For this reason, and because this is by far the priciest guitar I've ever sent out, I went with UPS directly, on a 24 hour service.  Not cheap, and now, even more not cheap.
  • Same problem here except via ParcelHero.

i input all the weights and dimensions on the website then ParcelHero claim a UPS extra charge and scam me for an extra fifty quid.

Not happy !
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14220
    tFB Trader
    I would have gone with Interparcel/UPS where it not for the way they handled my previous item.  Waited all day, no pickup, chased them up mid-afternoon and was basically told "tough titty, you'll have to rebook it for tomorrow".  Called UPS directly and they were able to divert a driver on his way back to the depot to pick it up last thing.  For this reason, and because this is by far the priciest guitar I've ever sent out, I went with UPS directly, on a 24 hour service.  Not cheap, and now, even more not cheap.
    I'm a bit lucky in that 10 yards down from me is the UPS drop off point for many customers, with a fixed 3pm drop off/pick-up so I always no where he is at that time
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That’s a bit of a bummer. But it means you can change your name to DarnDimnsionalWeight now.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • same happened to me a couple of months ago...VERY annoying but i have to say apart from that I have zero complaints about the service they provide
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    That’s a bit rubbish.       Most confusing as well - I always assumed the dimensions you enter when booking are part of the price calculation - weight and size = cost.    
     If they are now using a different calculator it’s down to luck whether you get an extra charge afterwards.  
    I’ve never had any issues using Interparcel so hopefully it’ll stay that way. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    martinw said:
    I use UPS via Interparcel all the time, no problems at all.

Their software automatically calculates the correct rate based on actual or volumetric weight.
    Have you ever had problems with things going through their Tamworth warehouse? I've had two amps arrived damaged, one looked like it had been hit by a train.
    mart said:
    That’s a bit of a bummer. But it means you can change your name to DarnDimnsionalWeight now.
    I've clearly been tempting fate, and the universe has finally caught up with me.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited August 2018
    I use most major couriers for work, multiple consignments a day, and UPS by far has the most complex method of volumetric valuation. They are also eye-wateringly expensive if you use them direct. I have personal and business UPS accounts and it’s *still* cheaper for me to go through some form of broker. That said, their actual service is the best of all small-medium goods couriers, even if their system is a bit off a faff. Although you may have spent, say, £30 more than shipping with TNT or DPD, at least they didn’t smash your guitar to fucking pieces.

Also, fwiw, if the collection date booked with UPS is stated, even if going through a broker, assuming they have a local vehicle they should always come and pick it up. From your previous scenario it just sounds like Interparcel dropped the ball and couldn’t be arsed to phone UPS.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    UPS via Transglobal - the best customer service of the online parcel companies, everything fully transparent and no hidden charges, and the only one I know of which insures up to £2k
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    JDE said: 

Also, fwiw, if the collection date booked with UPS is stated, even if going through a broker, assuming they have a local vehicle they should always come and pick it up. From your previous scenario it just sounds like Interparcel dropped the ball and couldn’t be arsed to phone UPS.
    I dropped off a package to a UPS collection point for picking up by 7.00pm for next day delivery to Norfolk. Five days later the package hadn’t moved. Only after asking them WTF? they finally picked it up. No apology. It arrived nearly a week late :(
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3145
    tFB Trader
    I book same-day UPS collection through Interparcel for all of my outgoings and sometimes the driver turns up just 10 minutes later. He says he just gets an extra job added on his scanner by dispatch and he drops in when he’s coming past.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited August 2018
    Jimbro66 said:
    I dropped off a package to a UPS collection point for picking up by 7.00pm for next day delivery to Norfolk. Five days later the package hadn’t moved. Only after asking them WTF? they finally picked it up. No apology. It arrived nearly a week late
    Did you book the consignment prior to dropping it off or do they book it once it’s at the collection point? I have to say that is extremely unusual - ordinarily if the parcel is labelled they’ll collect it whether it’s been booked on correctly or not, tbh. Not sure how UPS work as they seem to do everything *slightly* differently, but most small goods courier drivers are paid by the pickup/dropoff, hence why they normally just take everything!

Re - the apology thing, you’ll get sweet fanny adams from all couriers in my experience. You’re more likely to get an apology out of a potato. 
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    They once sent me an email about the same thing with a charge, i ignored the email as the dimensions entered in their system were in excess of the actual dimensions of the parcel, i never paid the charge and never heard another peep.
    Still use them now several years later and quite a few guitars later with no issues.