Pickups upgrade

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    YES, @earwighoney - very similar!
    Mine had a slightly different trem, unpainted headstock, and all plastic pickguard - no chrome bit. I've got most of the bits, if you need any free parts for yours?

That one in the vid looks like it might have a decent fretboard. I've heard of these coming with a nice slab of ebony, but my one had a particularly crap piece of plywood with painted 'binding' to hide the lamination, and a radius of infinity!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited August 2018
    DannyP said:
    YES, @earwighoney - very similar!
    Mine had a slightly different trem, unpainted headstock, and all plastic pickguard - no chrome bit. I've got most of the bits, if you need any free parts for yours?

That one in the vid looks like it might have a decent fretboard. I've heard of these coming with a nice slab of ebony, but my one had a particularly crap piece of plywood with painted 'binding' to hide the lamination, and a radius of infinity!
    Thanks for the offer Danny, but my guitar is well past saving!

I had a measure of the action at the 12th fret and it's around 4mm!  Yep, mine also has a fretboard that I have no idea what it is and also has the same painted binding. 

Like yourself I was eventually planning to take the pickups out and put them into a cheaper guitar like a Squier Bullett Strat or Mustang. 

Here's my guitar in the flesh.  Words and pictures cannot do justice to how truly terrible it is. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    <Shudders>

My first electric guitar looked very similar. Bought for £10 from Andy's on Denmark Street... they had been using the back as a dartboard using an air pistol. That was too good for it.

Vile. Just vile.

Oh and I played one recently that had been 'restored to good playing order'... ok, so the neck was straight (ish) and the frets were level and polished, but it still felt like a load of old wank, was uncomfortable and had notions of intonation that aren't heard of in western music.

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter. Sadly there isn't enough glitter in the world for these dreadful things...

That said - I'd be interested in hearing a pair of those pickups in something that wasn't shite.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    impmann said:
    <Shudders>

My first electric guitar looked very similar. Bought for £10 from Andy's on Denmark Street... they had been using the back as a dartboard using an air pistol. That was too good for it.

Vile. Just vile.

Oh and I played one recently that had been 'restored to good playing order'... ok, so the neck was straight (ish) and the frets were level and polished, but it still felt like a load of old wank, was uncomfortable and had notions of intonation that aren't heard of in western music.

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter. Sadly there isn't enough glitter in the world for these dreadful things...

That said - I'd be interested in hearing a pair of those pickups in something that wasn't shite.
    I often see these type guitars turn up on gumtree etc and consider buying one and playing it once a week so my head doesn't keep getting turned by adverts for vintage guitars that I think must be amazing just because they are old!
    edited August 2018
    I've decided I can do better than Ferrero Rocher wrappers. I bought some brass mesh off Amazon.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    DannyP said:
    I've decided I can do better than Ferrero Richer wrappers. I bought some brass mesh off Amazon.
    Far too posh for this project ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's brass mesh OVER Ferrero Rocher wrapper.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Looks lovely. It will be interesting to see how microphonic they are.
    normula1 said:
    Looks lovely. It will be interesting to see how microphonic they are.
    The coils are tightly swaddled in blue plastic, so I don't think they will be microphonic. They did sound very lively in the Teisco though.