Gaz Coombes

What's Hot
His (relatively) recent new album - strongest man in the world is really sticking with me..... its a quality record and shows hows hes matured and developed as a musician and songwriter...... I dont think he gets the credit he deserves due to Supergras's cartoony image - people would be clutching their nuts if Thom Yorkes name was on the front 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Seen and met him a few weeks back. Incredible and a totally sound fella too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • New album is his best yet and one of my favourite albums of the year. I think Danny Goffet has more of the “cartoon” influence on Supergrass. Check out Vangoffeys album. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    I know somebody who bought his guitar .. and sold it!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • New album is his best yet and one of my favourite albums of the year. I think Danny Goffet has more of the “cartoon” influence on Supergrass. Check out Vangoffeys album. 
    Yeah - thats true. 

What the record like?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    Supergrass were the most under-rated of the Britpop bands.  Even on their debut they happily dropped the cartoon image on a lot of tracks, their second album is even better IMHO.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7110
    Freebird said:
    I know somebody who bought his guitar .. and sold it!
    Yep, guilty.  I had his old 335 via a lovely chap on here. I got it for my Mrs who is a huge fan. She didn't play it much tbh, she just loved the fact it was hanging on the wall so I sold it and bought myself something else !

We've seen Supergrass about 5 times and Gaz twice, his solo stuff is incredible and really worth checking out. 

Met him a few times too and you know what they say about not meeting your heroes........

Its not the case with him !

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Supergrass wrote some of the best songs of their age.

My fave album by them was hated by most... Road to Rouen. I still think its brilliant.

I don't get the 'cartoon' thing - as they shrugged that off very early on.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    impmann said:

My fave album by them was hated by most... Road to Rouen. I still think its brilliant.

Absolutely @impmann ; - I LOVE Road To Rouen!

It has a kind of 'Classic Album' feel - if 'Classic Album' were a genre. Like Abbey Road or Rumours.

For me, Diamond Hoo-Ha was the let down.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I never really got into them perhaps I should relisten, I remember thinking caught by the fuzz was massively irritating (hate cartoony novelty stuff) but richard iii was pretty good.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    I loved when Supergrass wrote darker songs. In my opinion, Alright  was a radio hit, but NOTHING like what they ended up being as a band.

Pumpin' On Your Stereo was another poppy song (although I liked it) but not a reflection on the darker more melancholic songs they were capable of.

An underrated band. He's a great songwriter. They were really good for a 3 piece, and the bass player is FANTASTIC.

I've got his previus 2 albums and seen him player at Sound City - I'll have to pickup the new album. 
    DannyP said:
    impmann said:

Absolutely @impmann ; - I LOVE Road To Rouen!

It has a kind of 'Classic Album' feel - if 'Classic Album' were a genre. Like Abbey Road or Rumours.

For me, Diamond Hoo-Ha was the let down.
    @impmann and @DannyP You are both correct!

Was a signpost for Gaz Coombes solo career as well, if you were to put on In It For The Money, then Road To Rouen and follow it with his new solo album, you would see a clear progression.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    They were a four piece IIRC, with Gaz's brother on keys. He didn't want to be in any of the photos. That's why there's an empty window in the portraits in the artwork for In It For the Money.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    I've got an interesting history with Gaz. As a student in Oxford (Brookes) when they were just breaking through, I bumped into the band a few times in the shop opposite my house buying munchies. I think Gaz's Mum lived just along the road from us. I became a fan and saw a few gigs over the years. Fast forward over twenty years to a few years ago - my son ends up in the same class at school as Gaz's daughter, so I get to know him a little bit when we're doing the school drop offs / pickups. It was weird telling him I used to spot him 20 years ago! As others have said, both him and his Mrs are nice, unassuming, down to earth people. My son's left that school now, but I still bump into Gaz around Oxford occasionally for a chat. I also agree that his latest solo album is great. The production is really good and has moved on from the standard band format that I've never managed to get past myself. Clever little layers and instruments here and there that make up the soundscape. I've been irritated that he hasn't done any hometown shows for ages, but there's one coming up as part of the Ritual Union festival which I might go to. Top man.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Gaz seems to be on the "meet your heroes, don't be scared" list with JDB.

We should have an official forum list!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Oh my god 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    roberty said:
    Oh my god 
    I remember watching that! Brilliant!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    They/he left me behind a little so I've got some catching up to do. Every time I try something newer out I end up putting "In it for the Money" on. :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I really liked In it for the money. I have Matador somewhere as well. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • roberty said:
    Oh my god 
    That's ace. Almost as good as the Jarvis Cocker one...