NGD: joined the Gretsch club

xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
Out of the blue, I started gassing for a Gretsch. So, after a bit of digging and playing, I bought a G5420T Electromatic today, in the correct orange. Wow! What a terrific guitar and thus far the only one of mine I can stand to use the bridge pickup on (probably weird in itself, but I'm firmly a 'neck' man). 

I'm a convert. Now to start on my 18 year plan to play like Chet Atkins. Or TK Smith, at least.

Anyone else a Gretsch fan, especially the Electro series?

(PS. Actually, I've just remembered I have a Streamliner that I got here on a swap, but while it's a nice enough guitar, it's a bit generic and I don't really think of it as a Gretsch. So the Electromatic is my first real Gretsch, I think.)

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Well done. We have a few Gretsch fanboys here, myself included. @musicman100 has a stunning Gretsch collection, if we’re lucky he might post a few photos. 

I’m down to three Gretsches right now, but would like another Black Phoenix in the future.  

The 5420 is a find guitar, a vast improvement on the old 5120. Pickup height is critical to that great Gretsch sound. Filtertrons like to be as close to the strings as possible.  It’s a good idea to head over to the TV Jones site and follow his recommendations for setting up the pickup heights. Works for Dynasonics and Hilotrons too.  
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited August 2018

My current number 1 is a G5435 Electromatic Pro Jet in Fairlane Blue. Lovely playing and sounding thing, just the right blend of crunch and twang that seems to find plenty of space in the mix. Funnily enough I'm the opposite of the OP as mainly use the bridge pickup but the neck pick up on this one works brilliantly with no dullness or mush. Light too

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Wot no pics?  It's the law you know. ;-)

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    ESBlonde said:
    Wot no pics?  It's the law you know. ;-)

Yep for now it didn't happen. 
  • I've currently got a 5125 that I picked up recently.  Great guitar.

I've previously owned a 5120 which was great too apart from the pickups sounding a bit muddy.  I then got a Pro series Brian Setzer signature after selling off a few things and pooling the money.  It was as good as any guitar I've ever played and sounded amazing.  I just got twitchy taking it to some of the places my band played, so sold it on.  I know, d'oh!

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I love the looks and the sound of a Gretsch, I've just never played one I truly like.
    I want to own a White Falcon, I just need to play one I like. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1705
    Welcome to the club n nice to hear that u appreciate a good style of playing. Put in the hard work and you’ll get some reward. 
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I have the exact same guitar  in orange too. Very nice! I raised  up those pickups and added a goldo roller bridge from thomann. Fitted a graphtec nut. Think im done with changes on it now and it plays great.
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    Just spotted this. I have the same guitar in the same colour. I love mine, and I hope you are getting on well with yours. 
  • Yep, I recently bought the latest version 5420T, in the incorrect blue. I'm wishing I had bought it in the incorrect green now. :) Lovely guitar though, I'm very pleased.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    The only Gretsch that I own (and have ever owned) is an Electromatic lapsteel formerly owned by the late, great Chris Tsangarides. It was the go-to instrument when he wanted "that sound" at The Ecology Rooms. 

I am therefore definitely a paid up member of The Gretsch Club. 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    had an orange 5420T, great guitar, couldn't fault it, but upgraded to a 6122-12 - astonishing guitar