Black cats don’t take selfies well, so I won’t adopt one.

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
edited August 2018 in Off Topic
Thats a statement I’d feel sickened to make. 

In fact, I’d rather take Susan Boyle out for a vindaloo before taking her home to my parents house and giving her double the maximum dose of x-lax, have her de-robe and squat over a glass table while I slide myself underneath it and proceed to watch her void her bowels, whilst my mum and dad are sat halfway through eastenders. 

Seriously though, for a second.. 

I’m sat here shamelessly watching season 1 of Sabrina the teenage witch, and reliving childhood joys. Lol!! 

I never realised how great the sometimes real black cat, and sometimes hilariously robotic animatronic Salem was. 

This led me to google cats. 
Because who doesnt love seeing little furry balls of felinae? 
Black ones in particular on this occasion. 
I love how their eyes just pop out of their obsidian mass of fur.  

What came up on google really pissed me off though. 

I knew that black cats had a hard time being adopted, because superstition has a hold on many people, which for a species as technologically and scientifically advanced as our own, is bloody absurd, but thats another story.. 

I then saw reports that people base their adoptions on whether an animal is ‘selfie friendly’. Black animals apparently don’t show up as well on instagram or in pictures... 

WHAT?! 

How an animal shows up in photo’s is an insane reason to choose one!
I wonder if half the adopted pets are even getting good homes or if theyre there mainly for amusement and the odd instagram post. 

I then saw articles about certain breeds of dogs being ‘in fashion’, such as pugs. 

It made me sad for the animals. How can one choose a life form based on how trendy it is.. infact wtf, its human stupidity that has even given certain animals a trend status.. 

But it made me sickened at people also.

Anyway, a rant from myself and Loco, for the sake of his comrades in fur.  

That there is Loco, a fine feline friend indeed.

About 10 years ago when he was 1, his owner, a girl who worked with my mum moved into a flat that didnt allow pets. She had 2 cats, Loco and Coco. The girls mother took Coco but didnt want Loco. 

Well I’d never had a cat before, but the girls move was imminent so the next day I told my mum to tell the girl to bring Loco in. 

Later that day he arrived home, and he’s been here ever since. A few ruined sofa’s, shat on carpets and scarred hands, but I wouldnt have it any other way. 

If I could look after one more, I’d take a black one tomorrow. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Loco's cute.
    And so are black cats.
    :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have twin sister black cats, about 2 years old. Rescue cats, they were left in a box outside a shop.

I can confirm they're shit at selfies. Even with a selfie stick, their paws cannot press the button. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Loco's cute.
    And so are black cats.
    :-)
    Cheers! He’s a good lil fella. Hes not currently not enjoying my netflix marathon, I think he was trying to sleep... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    I have twin sister black cats, about 2 years old. Rescue cats, they were left in a box outside a shop.

I can confirm they're shit at selfies. Even with a selfie stick, their paws cannot press the button. 
    Lol!! That made me laugh. 

Not the part about them being abandoned I should add... 

I’ve never understood how someone could do that to any animal. 
    Even if things got real bad, there are other options. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    edited August 2018

My lad Salem comes out alright in photos
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Foster said:

Awesome! Ello Salem :)

Yeah exactly! I’d say they do too!
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    edited August 2018

Lovely cat skunkwerx.

While not fully black,our Betty takes an ok photo.Here she is with Frank n Masie,all three rescue cats.As with Loco their ability to take a good selfie never factored in our discission to adopt them.We just love cats.

Crazy how shallow some people are nowadays.

When still a kitten and posing for the camera.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Foster said:

What an utterly beautiful creature!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940

Lovely cat skunkwerx.

While not fully black,our Betty takes an ok photo.Here she is with Frank n Masie,all three rescue cats.As with Loco their ability to take a good selfie never factored in our discission to adopt them.We just love cats.

See that puddle on the floor? That's my melted heart.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....

Lovely cat skunkwerx.

Cheers! So are yours! I’m not fully up to speed with breeds, but are Bettys siblings a Maine Coon and a Siamese? 

Great photos though :) 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266

Maisie, the white longhair is a Chinchilla Persian and Frank,we suspect,is an English Blue,though we could be wrong.

Here he is with our fourth cat,Mable who's another Persian.We got her off a breeder and she has a full pedigree.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Nice job of using cat pics to distract from the fact they you've clearly put far too much thought into that Susan Boyle scenario
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I do love a black cat. My cat is black and white, but we had a friend who used to visit frequently (robbed our cat's food), and he was proper black. Black nose, black gums, black toes. Definitely will have a jet black cat at some point in my life.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

Our Oscar is a black cat.

I wasn't originally aware of the whole black cat thing until my wife told me about it (her previous cat was also black). People are fucking stupid to think a cat has any bearing on their life other than the responsibility you take on in owning and looking after it.

Black cats are superb. They're a little bit 'different' to other cats. They seem to be a bit skittish and Oscar appears to think he is a dog.

I love him to bits, although I would agree, he can't take selfies.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Went to get Mrs.L a tabby type kitten as she really wanted a cat... Came home with a half bengal, half Maine coone black nightmare creature of death.  He had big teeth. We call him Spook.
    He is black and totally adorable. 
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 399

Sadly, the lovely Lux died a couple of months back. She was an ace cat, pictured here proving that she would sit on whatever we put on that rug.

A big chunk of my family is riddled with daft Devonian superstition, but it never extended to cats (I think even they know that cats > superstition).
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898

Here he is with our fourth cat,Mable who's another Persian.We got her off a breeder and she has a full pedigree.

Please forgive me but Persian cats are so ugly. Maybe in a cute way though...and I say that as someone who had one as a family pet - a blue one. I digress...

The black cat selfie thing I’m not sure about. It’s sad if it is a reason though...

Our black cat was beautiful - semi-long haired and I never once thought about taking a selfie with her!

Black dogs are also often overlooked - if and when we get another dog it will be another black retired greyhound. They tend to get picked last from rehoming centres if there’s blue, white, brindle ones etc in there as well.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Excellent post. I had a black cat for the first 16 years of my life. It was before digital cameras and mobile phones, so I can't comment on the selfie bit.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Iamnobody said:

Please forgive me but Persian cats are so ugly. Maybe in a cute way though...and I say that as someone who had one as a family pet - a blue one. I digress...

The black cat selfie thing I’m not sure about. It’s sad if it is a reason though...

Our black cat was beautiful - semi-long haired and I never once thought about taking a selfie with her!

Black dogs are also often overlooked - if and when we get another dog it will be another black retired greyhound. They tend to get picked last from rehoming centres if there’s blue, white, brindle ones etc in there as well.

We've been to rescue centres and they say that about black dogs, the retired greyhound people say they have most problems finding homes for black ones. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Snags said:
    Nice job of using cat pics to distract from the fact they you've clearly put far too much thought into that Susan Boyle scenario
    Susan who? 

Hang on... 

Nothing to see here... move along, move along... 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom