Black cats don’t take selfies well, so I won’t adopt one.

What's Hot

Comments

• The Doofman as a kitten

No automatic alt text available

And a few years later, jus' chillin'

No automatic alt text available

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    When I got my black labrador I jokingly said "he doesn't come out well in pictures. What was the point in getting him if I'm not going to get maximum facebook likes?".
    Good to know that some people see that as a genuine issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26958
    We had a couple of black ones when I was a kid. Nothing wrong with them, or funny looking ones in general.

We're currently fostering a street rescue with deformed eyelids. No-one wants him cos he's funny looking but he's the sweetest, cuddliest cat on the planet.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Yes, black dogs also get passed over too. Dumbness.

An old not great pic but our black cat & dog, both now gone. The cat came from a flat where a guy had nearly 100 cats ... so she was all but wild, spent 2 weeks hidden under the bed. I started touching a paw when I could, bit by bit try to get her less scared, sort of thing. One day she just walked into the lounge, jumped onto my g/f's lap... After that she was the friendliest little thing, lived to be 21.

At the cat's home they wanted a name to go on the form for some odd reason so I said Spot, cos she hasn't got any, we'll figure out something proper later. Never did.

Talking of dumb, ours was the last of that rescue lot, a couple just before us took the last-but-one. Also wild as f*k. As they were getting into there car they decided to open the box slightly to look at the kitty. Who promptly flew out of the gap and disappeared. They went back to the cat's home and said can we have another cat ...!

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/misc/boy-spot-marv.jpg

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Having never rescued an animal... I assume that you get to choose which one you take. So regardless most people probably have some criteria that makes them choose or reject. Is the colour in a photo any worse than "cuteness" or  age for example? If end result is that an animal gets adopted, is it so bad?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Having never rescued an animal... I assume that you get to choose which one you take. So regardless most people probably have some criteria that makes them choose or reject. Is the colour in a photo any worse than "cuteness" or  age for example? If end result is that an animal gets adopted, is it so bad?
    Valid point... but the problem is that it means black kittens tend not be selected... then, over time, they turn into black cats... and a mature black cat is even harder to rehome.
    Having never rescued an animal... I assume that you get to choose which one you take. So regardless most people probably have some criteria that makes them choose or reject. Is the colour in a photo any worse than "cuteness" or  age for example? If end result is that an animal gets adopted, is it so bad?
    Valid point... but the problem is that it means black kittens tend not be selected... then, over time, they turn into black cats... and a mature black cat is even harder to rehome.
    i imagine a black kitten would get adopted before any mature cat... or are there more kittens available than people willing to adopt full stop?
  • ... or are there more kittens available than people willing to adopt full stop?
    In some places... yes.  And that can lead to termination.
  • Hendrix was nearly all black apart from a few white hairs on his chest. He would hide in the bushes at the back but I always knew where he was because although I couldn't see his outline I could see his eyes looking out at me. He was adult when I adopted him from the rescue place, I have never known a more good-natured cat. If I ever catch the bastard who ran him over on the main drag I'll skin him alive :p
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Hendrix was nearly all black apart from a few white hairs on his chest. He would hide in the bushes at the back but I always knew where he was because although I couldn't see his outline I could see his eyes looking out at me. He was adult when I adopted him from the rescue place, I have never known a more good-natured cat. If I ever catch the bastard who ran him over on the main drag I'll skin him alive :p
    RIP Gibson.  :-(
  • Thanks @Strat_a_tat_tat but it was Hendrix's death I want to avenge. Gibson was persuaded to cross the Rainbow Bridge by the v.e.t. after his kidneys failed him. That made me feel like Judas (still does after all this time) even though I know it was the right thing to do.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Thanks @Strat_a_tat_tat but it was Hendrix's death I want to avenge. Gibson was persuaded to cross the Rainbow Bridge by the v.e.t. after his kidneys failed him. That made me feel like Judas (still does after all this time) even though I know it was the right thing to do.
    Apologies. Didn't mean to confuse Gibson and Hendrix.  Sorry... bit of a mental lapse... tough day at work!
  • No offence taken mate :) Hope you can relax now
  • No offence taken mate :) Hope you can relax now
    :-)
    ... or are there more kittens available than people willing to adopt full stop?
    So all of this is a moot point. No matter what, some kittens will get adopted some won't and something will be used to make that choice, even if some people's selection method is vanity based.

Perhaps the real issue is how do you stop there being more unwanted pets than there are homes to put them in?

Probably time for me to step away from the conversation as I don't agree with pet ownership at all. But I thought the OP was interesting.
  • When we chose our rescue cats we had only seen Moose's terrified eyes from his hiding spot under the chair! When we got him home we realised he was a juggernaut of a cat. It takes a while to stroke him as he is so lengthy. Here he is acting as a draught excluder.

For completeness here's his Mum, she is called Shrimp as she is tiny. No idea how she managed to give birth to the Leviathan.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We have Mr Crispy (aka the silent assassin)

https://i.imgur.com/AzvuObE.jpg

And Scooby, who sadly passed away two weeks ago

https://i.imgur.com/h682bjv.jpg

Not to be left out we also have Twinkle, who’s anyone’s for a tickle

https://i.imgur.com/Omks2Vv.jpg

And Bella

https://i.imgur.com/MqSsf0E.jpg

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6902
    ... or are there more kittens available than people willing to adopt full stop?
    So all of this is a moot point. No matter what, some kittens will get adopted some won't and something will be used to make that choice, even if some people's selection method is vanity based.

Perhaps the real issue is how do you stop there being more unwanted pets than there are homes to put them in?

Probably time for me to step away from the conversation as I don't agree with pet ownership at all. But I thought the OP was interesting.
    Don’t step away! That’s an interesting opinion.

I’m not a fan of caged animals as pets but cats and dogs make great additions to families. In fact they ‘are’ some people’s families.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Aye, I just see it as, he’s been born so either I know I give him a good life, or else who knows where he might have ended up. 

Hes a good mate too. I would say he’s my only friend outside of family.. which may seem sad to some, but working my hours etc I just dont meet anyone. 

Plus he’s not a dick. Which is always a guaranteed with animals.. domestic ones.. sometimes.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • @Teetonetal ; Interesting opinion. What could you possibly have against pet ownership? Other than that you don't own a cat, you give him a home and if he likes it he stays ...