Cheaper alternative to ‘65 DRRI?

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1260
edited August 2018 in Amps
A mate of mine came round and had a play on my DRRI and absolutely loved it. He’s looking for a new amp but his budget won’t stretch to the £1200ish one of these cost new.

Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative which comes close tone wise? How would say a Blues Deluxe compare on its clean channel? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Princeton, hotrod deluxe?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Princeton Recording?
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1260
    Princeton probably a bit underpowered for his needs. Aren’t the Blues Deluxe and HRD pretty much the same amp but with a higher gain OD channel? Does the clean channel compare well with the DRRI?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Traynor ygm3, some people on here like the yerasov gta15, ac15
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Princeton.

And a good condenser mic for PA purposes, or a second Princeton .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Second-hand 65 DRRI?  Does it have to be new?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Second-hand 65 DRRI?  Does it have to be new?
    No, doesn’t have to be new but they don’t come up often used. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    +1 for a used one. They've been making them unchanged for a long time and usually not much more than half the RRP for a new one

A Princeton doesn't quite scratch the same itch imo
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Go for a used one (? anywhere between £600-800).

The Blues Deluxe is also a nice amp but also take a look at Fender GB (George Benson) Hot Rod Deluxe. Similar weight to a DRRI but 40 watts instead of 22 and has high clean headroom with a great, chimey clean channel that takes pedals really well.

There's also a Drive Channel with this one, which you'll either love or hate, and it's not the new improved Drive Channel on the later Hot Rods but it's ok. The livery can also divide opinion

Used, they're cheap but I've occasionally seen deals on new ones. Don't be put off by the signature name thinking it's a 'jazz amp' as I don't think Fender marketed this as well as they could've done so it would have broader appeal. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    +1 for a used one. They've been making them unchanged for a long time and usually not much more than half the RRP for a new one

A Princeton doesn't quite scratch the same itch imo
    I thought they changed the trem a few years ago from an opto coupler to some kind of IC alternative?  Or something like that due to Rohs compliancy.   Interestingly the handwired version uses bias trem, like the Princeton.

Not that any of this would change the core tone, just the trem.
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    Put up a wanted ad in the classified and give it two weeks...if that’s what he wanted, something else (even if it’s as good) will always feel like a compromise...
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Sold my Princeton, not quite enough volume and the overdrive didn't sound great so not usable past five or six. The DRRI that replaced it is perfect
    We’re going to have a trip out to somewhere that’s got the full Fender range in stock next week and try them side by side. He likes the idea of a DRRI but also likes the idea of only spending half as much if he can. I think he’ll go for used most likely anyway regardless of which model floats his boat.

I suspect I’ll be doing a “want to buy” post later next week.

Thanks for the advice folks.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    cbakay said:
    Put up a wanted ad in the classified and give it two weeks...if that’s what he wanted, something else (even if it’s as good) will always feel like a compromise...
    An old Traynor ygm3 is better than a drri imo (specifically the reissues, which I've demo'd a few times and always been disappointed). Better tremolo, more reliable, half the price. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    One quick thought - you often see Rivera Clubsters and Pubsters going for silly cheap money. They have quite Deluxey clean channels but without the tremolo
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    bbill335 said:
    cbakay said:
    An old Traynor ygm3 is better than a drri imo (specifically the reissues, which I've demo'd a few times and always been disappointed). Better tremolo, more reliable, half the price. 
    Noted, I’ll have a look in to them.
    One quick thought - you often see Rivera Clubsters and Pubsters going for silly cheap money. They have quite Deluxey clean channels but without the tremolo
    Likewise noted. Another option I’ll look on to.