Oil City Pickups: Travis (has) Bean into Travis Bean

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10318
edited August 2018 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
On my bench this week I've had a Travis Bean 500 single coil ... dead as a dodo ... and with a badly smashed cover. 
The design of the pickup is interesting as the pickup grounds via the huge machined steel plate on which it sits being in contact with the aluminium neck unit to which it's screwed.

Here you can clearly see the silicone sealing material the cover was glued on with and the huge steel mounting block.

Pickup start wire goes to the baseplate .... 
end wire goes here .... 

The dead coil unwrapped .... 44awg wire ... sadly I don't have any in that rather fetching red ... but hey ho, nobody will see it for a lot more years with a bit of luck.
To be continued ...
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    As ever a delight to see the insides of a pickup, and thanks for posting. 

Even though I've never played any of the Kramer/TB aluminium neck guitars, IMO they are some of the coolest guitars ever made. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10318
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader

The dead coil revealed ... sadly I don't have 44awg wire in that fetching shade of red ... but nobody will see the naked coil for a a long time ... I hope!
    The rather odd wire attachment pins in the bobbin ends. These have no strain relief, so I won't be using them to re attach the start and finish wires.

Rewound ... and with strain relieving 'pigtails' attached. 

Ready to pot in wax ... for the vegans among you, I use pure paraffin wax these days ... no beeswax component. 
    Now for that poor abused cover. It looks very musc as if it was damaged in being removed. I can't stress enough, if an old and irreplaceable pickup stops working ... DON'T HAVE A CRACK YOURSELF! Us pickup rewinders are set up to deal with removing covers ... both metal and plastic ... you may cause more damage than was there to start with.

The cover is vacuum -formed polystyrene ... so luckily it can be glued with a solvent style cement.

Steel plate and neodymium magnet ... and some heat from a shrink-tube gun to smooth some of the kinks and ripples in the twisted plastic.
    Below: there were some gaps ... so shavings of black styrene were bonded into the cracks. A powerful magnifying glass/lamp unit and tweezers came into play here. A pair of neo magnets kept the cover aligned and flat through the process.

Strain relief and proper insulation both ends ...
    And here we go ... the top was carefully (but reversibly) stuck in place with a couple of blobs of hot melt glue .... and hey presto ready to rock on! Yes, it bears honest battle scars, but that cover is solid now.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    As ever a delight to see the insides of a pickup, and thanks for posting. 

Even though I've never played any of the Kramer/TB aluminium neck guitars, IMO they are some of the coolest guitars ever made. 
    I'd never actually had my hands on a Travis Bean pickup before, so it was fascinating for me too. 
    I had a Kramer for a while ... the only issue I had was at cold gigs where the coefficient of expansion differences between wood and alloy made tuning a bit haphazard till the neck warmed up. 

• Very interesting thread and lovely work - I really enjoy these threads!
    tFB Trader

Very interesting thread and lovely work - I really enjoy these threads!

The next rebuild will involve the worst condition pickups I have ever undertaken! as a taster here's a pic

Pic by Haim Algranati of LA Guitars. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adjustable pole pieces, with the adjusting screws 'paired', and round pole pieces.

Dynasonics?

Or more accurately (from the picture), Dynasonics retrieved from a ship wreck?
    tFB Trader
    Yep a pair of Dynasonics ... and all that damage caused by loft storage. Beware folks!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27445
    You know what you're doing really, don't you
    ;)

As always, thanks for taking the time to take the photos and to share here.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Fantastic stuff
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    Really interesting, thanks for posting.

I borrowed a Travis Bean TB1000 for a few months in 1977 (my guitar needed some work and a good friend lent me his. I was in a pro band at the time with a touring schedule). It was an interesting beast - quite bright and zingy but very pokey as well. Good tuning stability but the neck was so cold in the winter!
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Fabulous work fixing that cover.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    that looks great. I love how the cover still looks its age post repair
    tFB Trader
    samzadgan said:
    that looks great. I love how the cover still looks its age post repair
    I could have sanded and polished it ... but I think battle scarring on a vintage instrument looks 'right'. Every knock tells a story.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom