Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Squier basses are awesome...

What's Hot

Comments

• @jmaster I reckon if you get a jazz bass it'll become the standard by which you judge all other basses. go for it :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Very cool indeed.So the veneer stays in one piece as you iron it then?I'm impressed.
    There are a few tips and techniques (ref the thread above) but basically yes! The great thing is that,if you get a bit of lift, or a bubble, you can just run over that bit with an iron and it fixes it.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2013
    stickyfiddle;2919" said:
    I really like the fiesta red CV Ps. I could definitely see myself having one if I needed a 2nd bass.
    Tried one of these today in Wunjo on Denmark St (have now taken over The Bass Cellar). It surpassed a lot of things above its' price. Preferred it to the CV J-Bass, Sterling Music Man and so good for £300 and wouldn't sniff at it if it we're £500!! I now need to look at the CV Teles if the quality is this good. Wish it came in black
  • The CV Precision is a stonking instrument! Stick on a set of D'Addario Chromes, turn down the tone control and away you go!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great work there AndyJR.

Currently have a bit of mini-GAS for a VM Jag myself.

edited September 2013
    I tried a Squier Affinity PJ Bass today in Guitar Guitar and that too was very good. I like the P-Bass shape, the comfortable neck and the fact that it sports both J and P pickups - very versatile and a steal at £190! It's unbelievable how good these Squiers are for the price.

Any love for the Ibanez GSR180 or 200 (saw the pimped one here)? They're probably the Affinity's closest competition in terms of price and sound. Whilst they play well, they do feel cheap and those plasticy controls definitely need replacing, but not sure what the rest is like. The Squiers' just feel solid and "proper"!
  • Kebabkid said:
    Any love for the Ibanez GSR180 or 200 (saw the pimped one here)? They're probably the Affinity's closest competition in terms of price and sound. Whilst they play well, they do feel cheap and those plasticy controls definitely need replacing, but not sure what the rest is like. The Squiers' just feel solid and "proper"!
    Hi - I'm the guy that pimp'd the Ibanez :-)   It was quite good in many ways, but it wasn't quite as solid as the Squier.  It had a slightly unnerving feature that you could feel the string vibrations through the body wood against your beer-belly!

Andy
    Cheers Andy and your GSR looks great
  • I'm definitely gassing for the Vintage Modified Precision, which is giving off a strong Nate Mendel Sig on a budget vibe.

I've got one of the old squier standard P-bass specials, which is exactly this but with a white pickguard. It's about 10-12 years old and I picked it up for £80 on gumtree in pretty much mint condition. It's been my regular gigging bass for a couple of years now and definitely an upgrade on my old aria p-bass. I'd recommend keeping an eye on gumtree for squier basses in particular - they are one of those things people always seem to undervalue - an old affinity with a gig bag sold for £50 around here the other day which is just laughable.
  • I bought a Squier Precision Special from Crack Converters, Huntingdon, a few years ago for £29! It said that the electrics might not work. Well, that's what happens when you sub superglue and blu-tac for solder! I bought a new scratchplate, new pots, knobs and a set of strings (there weren't any on it). I had to do some serious tweaking of the truss rod as the idiot who owned it previously had slackened it off completely. Then I had to set it up, which I hasn't done before, but there's some good information on that there interweb. I use it quite a bit now. Ok, ill tend to use my '73 4001 or '74 Precision more often, but it does have a great, modern 'scooped' tone and for pub gigs when I'd rather not take an expensive instrument, it does me very well.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    I think Squier Basses are great.  They are well made, very reasonable price and sound great.  They are also eminently tweakable - this is my Vintage Modified Jaguar (originally standard black with red tortoiseshell pickguard) after a makeover of a fancy veneer, a reshaping of the pickguard and some self-stick carbon-fibre matting:

With the supplied Duncan-designed p/ups, it sounds pretty good too...
    Best thread hijack EVER!  You did an amazing job on both those guitars.  Definitely got a few wows out of me!

The quality of the Squier stuff has definitely come up.  I would say it's beginning to approach some of the Mexican stuff as far as general build quality.  I am a Fender man and have a '75 P-Bass and a Road Worn Jazz but would definitely recommend the Squier stuff to someone short on cash but looking for that classic Fender sound.

swap the pickups out and you have a real keeper.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited December 2014
    So what are people's views on the Squier basses these days?

Still worth checking out or are there better options around the same price?

I'm not really gelling with the beefy sound of my Ibanez SRX 500 bass down in B even with pro steels, I think I need to try something with single coils.  The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz looks ideal on paper.
  • I saw Lee Thompson's Ska Orchestra on Jools Holland a few months ago and the bass player (Mark Bedford of Madness I believe) looked like he was playing the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass I've been gassing for (olympic white/tortie guard). The decal on the headstock looked like the gold Squier CV logo... no, it's probably a Custom Shop thing, or a luthier-made replica of one of his favourite old instruments. The guy's a top professional who was on Top of the Pops practically every week when I was growing up. Come on!

I saw them again on some other programme. It's a Squier.
  • got a squier VM Jazz bass myself, Its a great playing and sounding bass. It only gets used for home recordings which is a shame.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Some time ago I went to my local guitars'r'us with £700 burning a hole in my bank balance, with my heart set on a gorgeous Fender Pawn Shop VI that was in their window 
    The shopkeep gave me a Squier VM VI to play with whilst he got the Fender from the display and tuned it. He came to regret that! The Squier was great (I especially like the toggles & strangle switch) so I bought it, and saved £400. I've never regretted my decision at all- and the excess money allowed me to go on holiday last summer.

It astonishes me how good these Squiers can be (and I don't mean "for the money"- that phrase annoys me) they are genuinely solid instruments that I'd recommend to anyone.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

My bassist - who is frankly an awesome musician has a few very nice fenders, however mainly gigs with a squire.

He's constantly buying and selling them however he can't get enough of them and claims they're almost as good as the real deal.

To be fair any bass in his hands would sound amazing

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    there's a black squier p bass for sale locally for 50 quid..........I'm not a bassist but could probably use it for home recording etc.......should I buy it?
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I've just seen that very one too. RACE! ;-)
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I win :D
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ha ha, sweet. :-)