Tuner Question

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Hi

My 335 currently has a set of Grover rotomatics that do a great job. However I'd like something a bit more vintage looking, does anyone have any suggestions that would be a direct replacement for the Grovers?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Do you mean style or age (relic?)

There's some really authentic looking ones on http://www.fake58.co.uk
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222

I mean style, the issue is that the current Grover rotomatics have a nut/bolt bushing which I'd like to retain but I haven't found on a vintage style set of keystone tuners.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Gotoh SD90

If by "direct replacement" you mean not even drilling new screwholes then I'm not sure there will be any. I think the vintage style tuners use a different screw layout to the ones you have.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I mean style, the issue is that the current Grover rotomatics have a nut/bolt bushing which I'd like to retain but I haven't found on a vintage style set of keystone tuners.

The ideal replacement would have been TonePros Klusons, which were available with either bolt or press-in bushings.  Unfortunately they're no longer made - presumably something to do with the Kluson name.  You might find some new old stock somewhere.

Related image

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

@ICBM that's interesting, I didn't realise Gibson were using those tuners now, they do indeed look like the TonePros. 

And now I'm remembering they were actually using TonePros for a while, and naming them, until the TonePros Kluson brand disappeared.

The older "Gibson Deluxe" tuners with bolt bushings were made by Schaller (I think?) and always seemed a bit sloppy, with wobbly posts.

Philly_Q said:

@ICBM that's interesting, I didn't realise Gibson were using those tuners now, they do indeed look like the TonePros. 

And now I'm remembering they were actually using TonePros for a while, and naming them, until the TonePros Kluson brand disappeared.

The older "Gibson Deluxe" tuners with bolt bushings were made by Schaller (I think?) and always seemed a bit sloppy, with wobbly posts.

They’ve used both the Schaller and Grover versions at different times - they’re almost identical.

The way to tell them apart is that the Schallers have two rectangular riveted pins holding the cover on, whereas the Grovers (and Tone Pros, which really are identical) have one rectangular and two round pins.

None of them are actually very good as tuners, and my honest advice is to leave the Rotomatics on - they’re just better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Grover make metal keystones for the rotomatics, maybe consider them as a replacement. Not sure if you can get plastic ones, but the metal ones look more vintage than the kidney ones.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Has anyone tried the Faber Klusons with the threaded bushing? They seem like a good option but I'm not too familiar with Faber... They're very cheap too at €38.
    Has anyone tried the Faber Klusons with the threaded bushing? They seem like a good option but I'm not too familiar with Faber... They're very cheap too at €38.
    I don't know if Faber make all their own parts or if they're made for them by someone else... looking at the pictures of the tuners I suspect they're probably the same as one of the other brands mentioned here, @ICBM may be able to pinpoint which.
    Philly_Q said:

I don't know if Faber make all their own parts or if they're made for them by someone else... looking at the pictures of the tuners I suspect they're probably the same as one of the other brands mentioned here, @ICBM may be able to pinpoint which.
    Grovers - two round pins. You can see them clearly here -

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oUoAAOSwEoxamNzN/s-l1600.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
      I knew you'd know.  Useful information.
    Thanks everyone
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Philly_Q said:
      I knew you'd know.  Useful information.
    It's great having such a wealth of knowledge here from people like ICBM, WesV and many others.

I've got so much appreciation for people who use their own time to share their expertise with others online.