What would you buy yourself with £500?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
edited August 2018 in Off Topic
 Our company gives out length of service awards for every 5 years of service, I get my 15 year award in a couple of weeks and the gift is a £500 allowance to treat yourself with, the odd thing is that you have to buy it youself and send in a receipt and the company reimburses you. The item can be anything, a meal, weekend away, club membership, ipad etc. but you must get a receipt for the claim, the gift can be more that £500 but that's all they will reimburse you.

There's always stuff needs buying like new tyres for the car, clothes, shoes, fix the shower etc. but the idea is that you buy yourself a gift to keep like a watch or a carriage clock or some shit like that. I don't wear a watch and carriage clocks are for grannies.

it's not enought for a PRS DGT and any pedals I buy would eventually be sold off on the conveyor belt of gear sales, although it's tempting to treat myself to a Strymon Timeline...

What would you buy yourself with a £500 gift?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Off the top of my head...

1. timber to build a deck area off the workshop 
    2. A Zilla 2x12
    3. All of my winter heating fuel 
    4.  New alloys for my car
    5. New clothes (since going full time self employed I haven’t exactly had the money to replace all the clothes I’ve wrecked)
    6. New tools for the workshop 
    7. An overnight shopping trip somewhere for me and my wife
    8. A trip to go and see a sister I’ve never met before 
    9. Finally get my sons room plastered and decorated 
    10. Buy stock and supplies for the business 
    11. Buy the the last 3 remaining oak doors for my house
    12. Get new fitted blinds for all the windows 

I could go on and on but it might become an even more tedious read
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    For me would be towards jazzmaster or similar, a better bike or a decent watch. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    There’s very little I need/want materially (save putting it towards @MikeS ‘s pink paisley jazzmaster, and I need more guitars like I need a hole in the head), so it’d have to be a few days at Champneys or some similar spa facility for the long-suffering Frau Moans, or 5/6th of the back-up drum kit Moans Minor has been salivating over.

Nice dilemma to have @RandallFlagg . Choose carefully ;)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Either a couple of Eurorack modules, or a return flight to Vietnam.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    A remap for my Volvo taking it from 163bhp to 215bhp.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    A Montblanc fountain pen
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3145
    tFB Trader
    An experience rather than an item, such as a cheap weekend for two away to Italy or similar to eat good food
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28144
     you have to buy it youself and send in a receipt and the company reimburses you. 
    Obvious then. Sex toys and a shotgun. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
     Our company gives out length of service awards for every 5 years of service, I get my 15 year award in a couple of weeks and the gift is a £500 allowance to treat yourself with, the odd thing is that you have to buy it youself and send in a receipt and the company reimburses you. The item can be anything, a meal, weekend away, club membership, ipad etc. but you must get a receipt for the claim, the gift can be more that £500 but that's all they will reimburse you.

There's always stuff needs buying like new tyres for the car, clothes, shoes, fix the shower etc. but the idea is that you buy yourself a gift to keep like a watch or a carriage clock or some shit like that. I don't wear a watch and carriage clocks are for grannies.

it's not enought for a PRS DGT and any pedals I buy would eventually be sold off on the conveyor belt of gear sales, although it's tempting to treat myself to a Strymon Timeline...

What would you buy yourself with a £500 gift?
    Blimey. That's quite generous.  I had to wait 25 years to get my long service award of £500. 

I bought a DSLR and then gave it to my son for his art and photography college course.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    Sporky said:
     you have to buy it youself and send in a receipt and the company reimburses you. 
    Howabout a Kilo of Spice?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Sporky said:
    Howabout a Kilo of Spice?
    Old Skool. It’s all about Monkey Dust, these days.

Particularly liked this reportage https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/monkey-dust-users-smell-prawns-1903187.amp
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    £499 of lottery tickets and a lucky rabbit's foot from the old crone down the shopping precinct.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited August 2018
    Something for the house/garden? My old company do a 10 year service award and they usually buy a pile of Tag Heuer watches to hand out. I told them ahead of time that I'd probably scratch it or it would stay in a drawer so would they mind paying to get a fence built round my back garden instead? They were more than happy to do it.

Or just buy a Faith acoustic.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Boss SY300. I want to play with one
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
    They are doing something similar at my work except they want to give us vouchers so choice is even further limited. Amongst other things I was thinking of booking a weekend away for the family.

I remember my birthday in Feb this year was such a non-event I said to myself that I would go away with the wife and kids next year...  
  • For me, it would make a sizeable dent in the price of
    • a pair of KEF LS50s
    • an Irvin flying jacket
    • a Reverend Airwave 12-string
    • or (if I didn't already have one) a huge dent in the price of an Epiphone Masterbilt Century series acoustic archtop
    Alternatively, think of something you could buy for £500 and sell at a profit afterwards (this may or may not be legal, and if not, there are risks involved)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Deposit on a Feline.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    Maybe 12 - 15 lessons with someone good.

Or an Effectrode Blackbird or similar valve pre-amp, maybe. I'd also consider something like an H9 or Helix multi-effects.

I'd also consider a new camera. My current mirrorless is flaky, and I'd like something full-frame. I could just about manage that second hand for that price.

• shares in House of Fraser, surely a safe bet.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    It would either go towards another Jazzmaster or I'd use it when the Behringer SH-101 clone is released.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....