Orange Micro Terror driving a Marshall 4x12?

What's Hot
Evening all, I have about my home a honking great Marshall 4x12 cab currently ( see what I did there? ) being powered by a Marshall G100R CD and it's all ok. However I REALLY like the look ( and sound) of the Micro terror and have heard tell that it can power big cabs like mine - is there anything I should be aware of before I get one and hook the pair up? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It’ll work fine.

(But ICBM will be along at some point to tell you it’ll sound horrible ;-) )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Several people  gig an HT-5 into a 4X 12 and I have measured the combination at over 100dB SPL at a mtr so, 20 watts, even sstate watts should be pretty loud.

Is the cab dual impedance? If so 4 Ohms will give you the highest power but if you find it is loud enough on 16, better reliability from the amp which, from the stern warmings in the book, does not seem to have foolproof protection?

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    It will work. At 4 ohms you will get the full 20W and full horrendous ‘tone’. At 16 ohms you will get 5W and it will sound a bit less horrific.

You may want to book an ear examination now, if you don’t need one already you will after you’ve listened to it at that sort of volume...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you are interested in quality of tone (eg for recording) then it will sound better just hooked up to one speaker, so maybe rewire the cab to make 3 speakers redundant. If you are more interested in being loud then have it powering the 4 speakers.

Although if you are using a micro terror I doubt quality of tone is on your mind lol. I do like them, great amp for the price, but obviously there are better options that will give you a much nicer sound.
  • Cheers folks :-) I'll wait until I can get the Micro with a suitable small cab. It's mostly to be a spare but I want to play on it at home too.