Ed Ozrics solo album

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3022
edited August 2018 in Music
First track released from his Ed Wynne’s new solo album. Sounds ozricy of course; some tasty guitar playing. Look forward to hearing the full album. 

https://youtu.be/2nfs4BFva6k

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It’s finally been released. It’s basically a very good Ozric Tentacles album, better than some of their recent stuff. Plenty of Ed solos. If you’ve ever liked them it’s recommended. Have you heard it @blobb ;

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I'd have put money on it just sounding like another OT album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2944
    Not all of it, no.

Thing about Ed is that he comes from a long line of quite special artists. He's the real deal who just happens to have found a home amongst us, the great unwashed. Remember, his dad introduced the Beatles to that yogi guy and he grew up with Donovan living in his house. His music is not just another band release, it's Art and worth savouring. I'm in no rush. I'm still enjoying Technicians. Then I'll move on to Nodens and then Silas' album before this. He's the one to watch for the future.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Any time an Ozrics track turns up on a random playlist it puts a smile on my face.
    I'm also enjoying Balazs' (Hungarian themed) Ozrics spin off, Rasasound

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It just sounds like an Ozrics track .. :-)

I love the band so will check this out ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Ed is easily in my top five guitarists of all time but on that listen it was a bit same-old same-old. Very good but heard it before sort of vibe and I'm probably not going to buy it now as I assumed I would when I saw this thread title. I'll certainly give it a few more chances on YT to see if it grows on me (and probably buy it for completeness' sake).

The last two albums from another off-shoot, Eat Static, have been pretty epic though.
    Well, there's the old running gag................that Ozrics only ever play the same three songs again and again: #1-mindblowing guitar workout, #2 sequenced trippy fest and #3 (not so much nowadays)  dub reggae thing.

It's all about the textures and the journey.  The formula isn't going to change much.
    edited January 2019
    Just out of interest, there is a better video for Shim - with trippy visuals! on Ed's youtube page, sort of makes more sense, if you know where I'm coming from ;-8

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Just had a listen, could feel the flashbacks starting, bloody excellent to my ears.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3022
    edited January 2019
    Tone71 said:
    Just had a listen, could feel the flashbacks starting, bloody excellent to my ears.

Haha, I have hazy recollections of ozrics soundtracking some intense herbal experiences back in the day. These days though I don't need the aid of a bong to appreciate Ed's music, it still takes me on a journey to..somewhere.  

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited January 2019
    Listening now - 'Glass Staircase', lovely track.  If that's him playing the bass then fair play, it's really really good.

I managed to get in to see Steve Davis (yes, that one) do a DJ set in a club in Sheffield during Tramlines a couple of years ago.  The pissed-up post festival day crowd didn't quite know what to make of an ageing snooker player dropping 'Kick Muck' but I loved it

Also never realised Eat Static were an Ozrics spinoff.

Every day's a schoolday.
    Steve Davis is a massive Pot Head Pixie
    Been through Wynne's new album, a couple of Eat Static records, and now back at the Ozric's Floating Seeds Remixed with mixes from System 7, Eat Static, and Youth.  Haven't listened to this one in a while.  Love it.
    @randella ; if you like Ozric spin offs The Ullulators put an album out recently called Dark Knights in Paradise. Gav Griffiths is the main man and was in the original Ozric band - yup, they originally had TWO guitarists. He plays like Steve Vai and has recently done the Berkley music course.

Also check out Oroonies (with Joie), ZubZub (Zia), Dream Machine (Jumping Jon Le Champignon) and last but not least, Keepers Brew (Greyum / Schoo)

There's also some great footage from Kozfest a summer or so ago where Ed and past band members got together on stage for an unofficial / unannounced reformation, including original drummer Nick Van Gelder (of Jamiroquai fame). I was there for that and it was just like old times. If only Roly was still with us....

We also have a really friendly FB page if anyone is interested.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @blobb - tried out the Ullulators record, very good indeed. I see what you mean about Vai, I recognised a couple of licks but he's got his own thing going on and is a brutal talent. Cracking tone. 

Will get to the rest, thanks for the recommendations, always welcome :)
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    Reviving an old thread prompted by seeing Ed’s band supporting Gong recently (great gig!). Anyone know why this is labelled as a solo album? It really does seem like an OT album to me (which have effectively been Ed albums for many years) Tour bassist previously played in an OT lineup too. Mysterious
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Reviving an old thread prompted by seeing Ed’s band supporting Gong recently (great gig!). Anyone know why this is labelled as a solo album? It really does seem like an OT album to me (which have effectively been Ed albums for many years) Tour bassist previously played in an OT lineup too. Mysterious
    Might be something to do with splitting from his wife/OT bassist? 
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    Reviving an old thread prompted by seeing Ed’s band supporting Gong recently (great gig!). Anyone know why this is labelled as a solo album? It really does seem like an OT album to me (which have effectively been Ed albums for many years) Tour bassist previously played in an OT lineup too. Mysterious
    Might be something to do with splitting from his wife/OT bassist? 
    Ah that would be it then probably, didn’t know that
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    Thread resurrection due to Silas & Saski releasing 'The Power of Three'. Anyone listened yet? I've still got a backlog to catch up with. 

Space Folk....who'd a thunk it?

There's a nice video on their FB page