Small five watt ish amps with non-cab sim line out?

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9697
edited August 2018 in Amps
So then, as per the title really, what small size five watt ish amps are there out there with a line out that is not with cab sim on it?

I have a Supro 1605r which does the trick but wondered what other examples there are out there, if any at all, as it's very useful to use effectively as a preamp as well as being able to use it as an amp when required.

Cheers
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Probably something like a Blackstar HT5?
  • Probably something like a Blackstar HT5?
    Hmm yeah that's probably the only one I know of as they have the fx loop don't they, not really my type of sound but hopefully there are others with similar features but different sound
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
  • Indeed there is, was rather hoping to unearth something that didn't sound like a Blackstar unfortunately as that's not really for me :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Anything that has a second speaker jack - just use a simple resistive pad to drop it to line level. That’s how it’s done inside the amp if there is one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Anything that has a second speaker jack - just use a simple resistive pad to drop it to line level. That’s how it’s done inside the amp if there is one.
    Ahh I do have a Jettenuator which I've used with the Princeton as a dummy load line out but was hoping to avoid having to plug further things in other than a cable to run the line out into something else.

But nevertheless useful to know it can be done
  • solarsolar Frets: 171
    I haven't got round to trying the line out on the 1605R yet - can't wait to run some vocals through it and use it as an outboard spring reverb :)

Serious question though - a lot of the YouTube demos show the line outs being run into the front of another amp. Isn't this a bit odd? I thought amps were designed to take much lower than line level, high impedance signals? Have you tried this yet?
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    THD Univalve. There's one in the classifieds at the mo (not mine).
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • The Hughes & Kettner TM5 has redbox out (as do all their amps) and is a wicked little amp for the size. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Hughes & Kettner TM5 has redbox out (as do all their amps) and is a wicked little amp for the size. 
    I guess one of those might work as I have read before their clean is somewhat "clinical" sounding and the use case for this whimsy would be to have a stereo setup to put a delayed or shimmery effect signal through the second amp. I could ignore the modern drive sound then. And I think these have a dummy load setting don't they?

Does the red box allow you a line output with a normal instrument cable without the cab simulator? Will give it a Google.
  • solar said:
    I haven't got round to trying the line out on the 1605R yet - can't wait to run some vocals through it and use it as an outboard spring reverb :)

Serious question though - a lot of the YouTube demos show the line outs being run into the front of another amp. Isn't this a bit odd? I thought amps were designed to take much lower than line level, high impedance signals? Have you tried this yet?
    I used it through a multi fx so as to record the dry and reverb signals on separate tracks which allowed better mixing etc

Not tried it into another amp but I suppose if you use a multi fx  they are usually line level aren't they? So would probably just be like that. You can also turn the volume down I think
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    thecolourbox said:

Does the red box allow you a line output with a normal instrument cable without the cab simulator? Will give it a Google.
    No - the only output is emulated.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    thecolourbox said:

No - the only output is emulated.
    Ahh OK thanks, saved me a Google (should be your motto Haha)
  • My Minimat 2 has a line out for direct recording. It's a pretty basic affair, and there is no cab sim as far as I'm aware.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Laney Lionheart L5 Studio will do that- switchable cab simulation on the DI out. Has USB recording out too.

If my L20 is anything to go by it'll do a bang up job as a plain old guitar amplifier too.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I don't think it's 5w but I do remember someone on a forum saying that the little Fender Greta had a line out and worked really well as a preamp.

No idea if true myself but said gentleman was very enthusiastic about the result.
  • I don't think it's 5w but I do remember someone on a forum saying that the little Fender Greta had a line out and worked really well as a preamp.

No idea if true myself but said gentleman was very enthusiastic about the result.
    Ahh yes I had one of those and stupidly sold it on, they've seemingly doubled in price now! They do sound and look great. Thanks for the reminder!

Laney Lionheart L5 Studio will do that- switchable cab simulation on the DI out. Has USB recording out too.

If my L20 is anything to go by it'll do a bang up job as a plain old guitar amplifier too.
    Thanks yes this does look good too, seem to be rather classy sounding but that could work as contrast I suppose, and have a nice clean
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132

Thanks yes this does look good too, seem to be rather classy sounding but that could work as contrast I suppose, and have a nice clean
    Not entirely sure what you mean. The Lionheart is voiced "British", so sits somewhere between a Marshall and a Vox soundwise (or sounds like a Laney, if you like). It's best in the "not-really-clean" range IMO- not Silverface Twin, JC-120 pristine squeaky-clean, but with a level of distortion that sounds more like added harmonic richness and generall "big-ness" than actual distortion. I've heard grittier sounds described as "clean" before now...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Maybe I'm getting confused with another amp but the sounds I recall when I listened to some demos were more like... What's the word, quite polished and well rounded, than the scratchy more edgy sounds I'm used to. Definitely "British" sounding but refined maybe is the word.