The best analog delay?! For me, I love the Boss DM-2W....

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
edited August 2018 in FX
I've got a few analog delays, and many digital delays that also include analog emulations, but my word, the Boss DM-2W is just superb.

Whilst I love the Carbon Copy, the DM-2W just seems easier to use without it going out of control (unless you want it to).

The repeats are warm and the oscillation trick is a treat. 

Has anyone else tried one or owns one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Can I ask a question? If you use an expression pedal for the delay time is heel down the shortest delay time possible or is it where the delay time is set by the knob? 

Ta
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Can I ask a question? If you use an expression pedal for the delay time is heel down the shortest delay time possible or is it where the delay time is set by the knob? 

Ta
    Sorry I've not tried the expression option yet!

Ta
    Sorry I've not tried the expression option yet!
    Well, that's a job for a rainy evening then!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    @Musicman20 how many analogue delay pedals have you played fella?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    About 7 or 8 over the years...various versions of the same models as well if that makes sense. Mostly played digital delays if I'm honest. 

I've been on bass for about 23-24 years and barely used effects apart from fuzz and a good Ampeg style pedal (Tech 21) so as I've got more into guitar and playing guitar more regularly, I've slowly enjoyed more and more effects.

I know there are MANY designs of analog delay, but the DM-2W is so simple and work incredibly well. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802

I know there are MANY designs of analog delay, but the DM-2W is so simple and work incredibly well. 
    and that, in a nutshell is all that matters. If a pedals works in your rig, for your needs, then anyone else' opinion doesn't matter.

I also think it's a nice, simple delay that just sits nicely. perfect for the things I need it for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I use the DM-2W a lot in my set up, I heavily utilise the custom mode for those longish delay times. It's a fantastic, intuitive delay and most importantly I have confidence it's going to last me a long time compared to my big box DMM and DL4.  
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    More of a tape echo, but my analog repeats journey came to an end with my MXR Echoplex. So good.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    1. Moog MF104M 
    2. Chase Bliss Tonal Recall RKM
    3. Fairfield Circuitry Meet Maude

2 and 3 are realllllly close. Meet Maude sounds incredible, I loved it... but the TR is so versatile it just shades it. 

Number 1 will always be number 1. 
    I haven't tried the Chase Bliss. The amount of shaping you can do with the pedal and it's many controls seem fantastic. 

I'm hoping to build up more of a collection of the analog delays now. I have definitely got digital covered.

The DOD Rubberneck seems to get a lot of praise but DOD are, as far as I know, no longer in existence!
  • Big love in the Psychosis household for the EHX Deluxe Memory Man and the Earthquaker Disaster Transport Sr. 

I strongly suspect that the Moog one is incredible but I've never actually played one. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    @UnclePsychosis good call, a bandmate of mine in the early 00's used an original memory man and the sound still haunts me! Bloody gorgeous
    I haven't tried the Chase Bliss. The amount of shaping you can do with the pedal and it's many controls seem fantastic. 

I'm hoping to build up more of a collection of the analog delays now. I have definitely got digital covered.

The DOD Rubberneck seems to get a lot of praise but DOD are, as far as I know, no longer in existence!
    The Digitech/ DOD development team were ‘let go’ in June but the company was apparently  profitable and still exists as far as I can see. What the future is for the company or for the development team I’ve no idea. Digitech are part of Harman which are a huge electronics group so maybe they felt they didn’t need their own developers. 
  • Yup, it's just the most controllable awesome delay ever. Only thing I've had that was better was the El Capistan, but it wasnt 100 quid better
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    edited August 2018
    Maybe not the best but i am probably selling the cheapest in the classifeds at £22!!!  Advert over
  • I haven't tried the Chase Bliss. The amount of shaping you can do with the pedal and it's many controls seem fantastic. 

The Digitech/ DOD development team were ‘let go’ in June but the company was apparently  profitable and still exists as far as I can see. What the future is for the company or for the development team I’ve no idea. Digitech are part of Harman which are a huge electronics group so maybe they felt they didn’t need their own developers. 

----Tom Cram, who was the guy in charge of Digitech stuff before he was let go, has started a new pedal company called Rose Pedals. Their Facebook page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/rosepedalselectriceffects/

----Tom Cram, who was the guy in charge of Digitech stuff before he was let go, has started a new pedal company called Rose Pedals. Their Facebook page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/rosepedalselectriceffects/

Cool, cheers :smile: