Zoom Powerdrive

Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3013
I've got the opportunity to buy a NOS Zoom powerdrive pedal for about 60 quid.  I absolutely love my Ultrafuzz I got from the same shop years ago and am very tempted despite having a fair number of low gain drive options already.

Any opinions on this pedal? As good as the Ultrfuzz?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28038
    It has a very good reputation, but having tried one I only bought one to finish the collection of four.

To me it's an OK mild overdrive - as I understand it though it is a really good boost for a slightly dirty amp.

£60 for an NOS one is a very decent price though - at times they fetch a lot more than that used.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 134
    edited August 2018
    The Ultrafuzz is the champion out of that range, but yes the PD is quite a nice booster. I don't find the actual drive particularly interesting to be honest, but it's got some nice EQ options - the gain adds quite a lot of mids and there are Bass and Treble dials with a decent amount of adjustment. I haven't had chance to play the Hyper Lead or the Tri-Metal unfortunately.

Don't think I paid more than £30 for either of mine and I'm amazed they're going that high nowadays!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28038
    The Hyper Lead is excellent - full on RAWK distortion, and really useful EQ on them.

The Tri-Metal is a good example of its sort but is a bit fierce for most applications.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • It's very silly but I almost feel sorry for the pedal, I know it's been sat in the same display case for at least 10 years.  Anthropomorphization of pedals is not something I'm prone to but it's about time it was loved by someone and I know they are long out of production.

Interesting about running it into a dirty amp, it sounds like it might go well with my Groove Tubes amp which is a bit picky about drives.

If £60 sounds like a good price it might be worth a punt.  
  • I have all four, nice pedals. Think I paid about £40 for each second hand.